gonna strip some weight - suggestions(and not my weight)

kevin

well, mam did it for me. gonna change some things on the r. time to look at the jenny craig manual.

gonna move the battery to the back.

thinking of removing the door panels and all inside and put some sort of pull strap to move the windows up and down (if they stay). have to leave the dash cause it's kinda stuck in there with the rollcage.

what else????

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Kevin:

When you move the battery to the trunk you can get one of those high tech lightweight batteries. I saw one in Jeremy's car and I think that thing weighed about 10 lbs! :eek:

Plexiglas weighs a lot less that the safety glass.

Just a couple of ideas there!

I have heard good things from people that have moved the pedals and drivers seat back for better weight distribution but that sounds like too much work to me!!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Different K-member and misc suspension parts can shed some weight, but the cost per lb lost gets spendy.

Brian

ps: Other idea's: shave the beard and have a Ex-Lax breakfest each morning before hitting the track. :D

pps: You sure must be getting worried about the bumble bee? ;)

kevin

Originally posted by Cobra-R
Different K-member and misc suspension parts can shed some weight, but the cost per lb lost gets spendy.

Brian

ps: Other idea's: shave the beard and have a Ex-Lax breakfest each morning before hitting the track. :D

pps: You sure must be getting worried about the bumble bee? ;)

thinking about a different front suspension but have to look into cost to see if it's worth it.

hhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmthat last suggestion could be rather interesting:beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Originally posted by kevin
thinking about a different front suspension but have to look into cost to see if it's worth it.

hhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmthat last suggestion could be rather interesting:beer:

Kevin:

Just be the first one with a new Ford GT and let Mr. Bumble Bee know which manufacturer makes the most kick A$$ car!!;-) :lol: :lol1:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Kevin,
Knowing a few things about your car, I would (as you mentioned move some weight around as well as removing) like move the accusump and fire bottle as far rearward as possible. I would also consider (again, spendy) investigating into some lighter wheels (maybe even 17") to shed rotating weight.
I personally think that running without the front splitter does you more good on most tracks eliminating the weight than good it provides in downforce, ecspecially with all the weight the reinforcing is requiring to make it work properly.
Concentrate on getting weight off the nose more than the rear, you arent going to make huge differences with any one change, but with enough small changes, big results might occur.

Brian

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
P-ss Yellow?

Originally posted by kevin
gee, good suggestions. but i don't think painting my car yellow would reduce weight:shrug: :dw: :eek: :lol:

What color is that thing again?

Don't they have little decals that mention it?

Gene

PS. Sorry Brian, I had to get in on this.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Kevin,

You saw the interior of my car. Basically all that is left is the dash and rear quarter panels. The rest is gone.

I am not a guru on this chassis and weight balance stuff. But just thinking about how front heavy your car is I would focus on the front. Removing more interior panels, glass, etc. will make the car even more front heavy percentage wise. I don't know if that would necessarily make it faster on the track.

Moving the accusump and battery is a good idea. BTW, the battery referred to is made by Dynabatt and I believe they claim 12 or 13 lbs for the battery. It is dry cell. After that, I don't know how you could remove weight on the front other than in the suspension.

I look forward to your progress in the endeavor.

Snake Eyes

Established Member
As long as people are making costly suggestions... Swap the block to an navigator aluminum block, that will certainly drop allot of weight.

A Griggs K member alone saves 50+ pounds over the stock, add in the A arms (about 8 or 9 lbs lighter than stock) plus springs and you are talking 70 pounds easy. Also ditch the wipers (motor, and fluid). Plexiglas is a great idea for the front and rear windows, just use Nascar style nets for the doors if you want something there. SHM also is about to put out a carbon fiber trunk deck if you want to drop weight in the rear, and Kenny Brown makes tubular upper and lower IRS arms, (though I think most KB stuff is junk). A set of Racing Heart (or other light weight rim) will save you a bunch of un-sprung weight.

If I think of more weight to drop I will let ya know.

:beer:

Kyle

AV8R

RiceCooker
Established Member
Just grap a copy of the June 2003 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords. On the cover is a competition '00R and there is a great write up inside. I believe he got his race weight down to 2950lbs or so.

kevin

Originally posted by Snake Eyes
As long as people are making costly suggestions... Swap the block to an navigator aluminum block, that will certainly drop allot of weight.

A Griggs K member alone saves 50+ pounds over the stock, add in the A arms (about 8 or 9 lbs lighter than stock) plus springs and you are talking 70 pounds easy. Also ditch the wipers (motor, and fluid). Plexiglas is a great idea for the front and rear windows, just use Nascar style nets for the doors if you want something there. SHM also is about to put out a carbon fiber trunk deck if you want to drop weight in the rear, and Kenny Brown makes tubular upper and lower IRS arms, (though I think most KB stuff is junk). A set of Racing Heart (or other light weight rim) will save you a bunch of un-sprung weight.

If I think of more weight to drop I will let ya know.

:beer:

Kyle

probably won't swap the motor.

the k member is something i'm thinking about. thinking of a bart sla swap (don't know the diff in weight yet). hadn't considered the wiper/motor stuff. already have window nets so door panels and glass is possible (i'm just not sure how it will impact the front to rear distribution). already planning on a coilover rear. will be looking into the wheel swap.

and thanks to those who've emailed me with suggestions (no, i'm not painting it yellow to go faster)

kevin

Originally posted by AV8R
Just grap a copy of the June 2003 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords. On the cover is a competition '00R and there is a great write up inside. I believe he got his race weight down to 2950lbs or so.

i'll go look (i think i've got it a read it). i won't be going that extreme. this car is for play. i need to balance cost vs what i HAVE TO spend on my race car to keep it running and competitive.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Kevin:

Just buy a Ford GT and be done with it man!!!;-)

Then you can give us all rides and as a bonus you won't be taking any :cuss: from Mr. Bumble Bee!!!:lol: :p

kevin

Originally posted by ac427cobra
Kevin:

Just buy a Ford GT and be done with it man!!!;-)

Then you can give us all rides and as a bonus you won't be taking any :cuss: from Mr. Bumble Bee!!!:lol: :p

i'm taking donations now:beer: :beer:

to get one, what would you suggest i sell out of the fleet:shrug:

Snake Eyes

Established Member
What to sell? Anything you have to. jk... I just went back and read that old issue of 5.0 Mustangs and holy shmit I forgot how cool that car is! You really should read it to get some additional ideas and maybe even call the guy. It says the fiberglass hood is 9lbs vs 48 for the stock, and 10 pounds for the his fiberglass doors vs 85 for stock!!! That is a ton of weight! Two other points I really like about the car are the jack mount built in to the cage and the shifter, of course I cant do it because I want to keep my interior, but why haven't any of you R guys done that? I can scan so pics if needed just let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread