Golf In New Orleans

rtdakota

Established Member
I will be spending 4 days in New Orleans in May(11th-14th) and am looking for a couple of good courses to play. I am thinking about the TPC but need some suggestions. Thanks in advance. :coolman:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
English Turn for 1
I play a bit but my Brother plays a lot I will ask him his opinion. He has played every course out there.

Want to grab a beer let me know I'm not far away from NO and actually may be there around that time.

rtdakota

Established Member
English Turn for 1
I play a bit but my Brother plays a lot I will ask him his opinion. He has played every course out there.

Want to grab a beer let me know I'm not far away from NO and actually may be there around that time.

Cool, look forward to your Brother's suggestions. I'd be glad to grab a beer if you are around at that time. :beer:

GHIG RTR

Banned
Hell I just started back up in Oct. from a 16 year hiatus from the game, and have played nonstop. That's one of the good things about living in south TX. I'm happy with the weather, cause lord knows I need ALOT of practice. :)

rtdakota

Established Member
Hell I just started back up in Oct. from a 16 year hiatus from the game, and have played nonstop. That's one of the good things about living in south TX. I'm happy with the weather, cause lord knows I need ALOT of practice. :)

If you want to get out to the course and have a few brews and get some golf in, let me know. I am always up for getting out and hacking it up.

bjsaint

Established Member
Stampede3's brother here, the TPC is a good course if you like smallish greens but make sure you play a set of tees that you'll have fun playing. If you bite off too much, the day won't be much fun. English Turn is a great course, Jack Nicklaus design with large greens and lots of room off the tee, it is a bit pricey. Outside New Orleans in LaPlace is Belle Terre, a good design that is fun to play. If you want to come up to Baton Rouge, I work at Santa Maria Golf Course, a Robert Trent Jones signature course that is really good for a municipal course. Oak Harbor is to the east of New Orleans in Slidell, a good layout with something unusual for south Louisiana in the fact that it has a "seaside paspallum" (sp) which is a grass designed to handle saltwater due to fact that is sits on Lake Ponchartrain which is a brackish lake. Good luck with whatever course you play, if you decide on a different course than these let me know and I'll give you info on it.

rtdakota

Established Member
Stampede3's brother here, the TPC is a good course if you like smallish greens but make sure you play a set of tees that you'll have fun playing. If you bite off too much, the day won't be much fun. English Turn is a great course, Jack Nicklaus design with large greens and lots of room off the tee, it is a bit pricey. Outside New Orleans in LaPlace is Belle Terre, a good design that is fun to play. If you want to come up to Baton Rouge, I work at Santa Maria Golf Course, a Robert Trent Jones signature course that is really good for a municipal course. Oak Harbor is to the east of New Orleans in Slidell, a good layout with something unusual for south Louisiana in the fact that it has a "seaside paspallum" (sp) which is a grass designed to handle saltwater due to fact that is sits on Lake Ponchartrain which is a brackish lake. Good luck with whatever course you play, if you decide on a different course than these let me know and I'll give you info on it.

Thanks for the info and if it matters in course selection, my index is 4.3. I am for sure going to play the TPC and looking at the English Turn website it seems to be members only. Oak harbor looks good as well. I plan on playing 2 days but not sure if I'll be renting a car or not. Once again, I appreciate your input and the information. :beer: I'll be spending a bit of time at Harrahs if you want to come have a beer and hit the tables.

bjsaint

Established Member
At 4.3 you can easily play any tees there and enjoy the round. English Turn is private, but if you do want to play I could call Derek (head pro) and see if it would be possible. I also head to Harrah's occasionally, so a beer or two sounds great.

f8tlbite

fordplay equals fordgasms
Established Member
Carter Plantation in Springfield is a beautiful course, I used to play there every Sunday. Google it. Springfield is about 40 minutes from New Orleans.

rtdakota

Established Member
At 4.3 you can easily play any tees there and enjoy the round. English Turn is private, but if you do want to play I could call Derek (head pro) and see if it would be possible. I also head to Harrah's occasionally, so a beer or two sounds great.

Getting on English Turn sounds good if I can get on. If you can give the pro a call and see if its possible and see what the rate will be on Wednesday May 13th that would be awesome. Also I saw the site for Lakewood Country Club and it says it just re-opened in February of this year. Any idea on this course?

Once again, I really appreciate all of the info. :rockon:

bjsaint

Established Member
Lakewood did just re-open, it was closed since Katrina. Looking forward to playing it myself as soon as I can get away. It was totally redone, so I can't give you a rundown, maybe by then. I'll call Derek as soon as I can, also Carter is a really good layout, and the customer service is great there.

rtdakota

Established Member
Lakewood did just re-open, it was closed since Katrina. Looking forward to playing it myself as soon as I can get away. It was totally redone, so I can't give you a rundown, maybe by then. I'll call Derek as soon as I can, also Carter is a really good layout, and the customer service is great there.

Looked at Carter on the recommendation from the previous poster and it looks pretty good, but I don't know that I will rent a car and the cab ride might be a little much. It looks as though I have plenty of options so I appreciate all of your help. Ill play the TPC or English Turn(if possible) and one of the others. Looking at the website for Lakewood, it looks pretty good.

Last edited:

bjsaint

Established Member
Have you decided which day you would like to play golf, I can call English Turn once I know the specific day. May be free on Thursday (14th).

bjsaint

rtdakota

Established Member
Have you decided which day you would like to play golf, I can call English Turn once I know the specific day. May be free on Thursday (14th).

bjsaint

I pm'd you as well but I will be playing either Wednesday or Thursday so whatever day I can get on would be awesome. I don't expect free but that would be a nice bonus. If you can get away and play feel free to join.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread