Going to the track

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
Is it worth it to pull the catback and run headers and O/R H pipe only? I was going to get some clamp on 90* elbows to at least dump them. Any cons?

Thanks

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
Why the hell would you want to do that?

F8LSNAKE runs a full exhaust to 10.34 @ 132 - and countless other extremely fast Cobra's run with full exhaust. I think you'll be fine with the exhaust - no reason to redneck it all up man.

The cons are, too much work for no gain, and - it will sound like shit.

I may be an asshole, but I keep it real! :D

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Actually, I was considering making a custom dump setup this winter for track use only which would consist of a pair of SLP Loudmouth II's and an H crossover pipe that would bolt directly to the Header Collector. Figured it would save about 40 lbs of weight. This was pretty much the setup that JR was running on his 8 second Cobra.

Talked to some folks and most agreed it was a bit of work for a little gain. It was suggested that I just remove the catback and run my off-road Pro-Chamber which is what I may end up doing. Not sure what a Magnaflow catback weighs, but figure it has to be 40 lbs at least.

Posi took his catback off for track use last year. Hopefully he'll chime in here.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
^It was loud as hell and not really worth anything. Two hour drive one way got old pretty quick. It did sound like a race car though. Only at the track but still. I wouldn't do it again. No proof of gains or losses but the looks at gas stations or McDonalds are worth it lol. Even at idle it sounds like a truck.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
Yeah def too much work, LOL. We already going to be switch all those wheels around!

Why the hell would you want to do that?

F8LSNAKE runs a full exhaust to 10.34 @ 132 - and countless other extremely fast Cobra's run with full exhaust. I think you'll be fine with the exhaust - no reason to redneck it all up man.

I may be an asshole, but I keep it real! :D

Yes, you are an asshole!:burn:

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
I figured I could shave a few pounds and move more hot air. Not really looking for hp gains.

It takes maybe 20 min to take the cat back off so not much wasted time.

Anyone else have some info?

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
havent been to the track but when I do all I got to do is flip a switch and its open....

CIMG0833.jpg

CIMG0834.jpg

CIMG0835.jpg

yellowgt02

Established Member
havent been to the track but when I do all I got to do is flip a switch and its open....

I dont think they are talking about the exhaust being louder, they are looking more for the weight savings. I took my car to the exhaust shop (after I broke a stud on the stock manifold) on open headers. sounded like ass lol.

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
sry thought his question was if he should run dumps when going to the track. I undersrtand that we are not talking about the exhaust being louder or not never said anything about that

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
sry thought his question was if he should run dumps when going to the track. I undersrtand that we are not talking about the exhaust being louder or not never said anything about that

How exactly do the cut outs work? Does it have to be welded in?

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
yes they are welded in...I had two by two y-pipes for the exhaust cutouts and the cutouts them selves obviously. ran the wiring really good, got the y's welded in, bolted in the cutouts and was done. I live in ca and wanted full exaust headers back(i like loud exhaust) but passing emissions here in ca sucks. So I did some research on these and decided to go with these. My exhaust was loud enough but I wanted louder so I went with these for the cool simple fact at any moment of driving you can flip the button have it open or flip it to close them. I personally love them and havent had any problems. the worst part about them is they hang low to the ground but didnt want to put them further back even though I could of had a little more clearence, figure the closer up the better the performance.there is one guy on here who is running them and on the dyno when he opened them it was 26 additional hp.

Last edited:

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
yes they are welded in...I had two by two y-pipes for the exhaust cutouts and the cutouts them selves obviously. ran the wiring really good, got the y's welded in, bolted in the cutouts and was done. I live in ca and wanted full exaust headers back(i like loud exhaust) but passing emissions here in ca sucks. So I did some research on these and decided to go with these. My exhaust was loud enough but I wanted louder so I went with these for the cool simple fact at any moment of driving you can flip the button have it open or flip it to close them. I personally love them and havent had any problems. the worst part about them is they hang low to the ground but didnt want to put them further back even though I could of had a little more clearence, figure the closer up the better the performance.there is one guy on here who is running them and on the dyno when he opened them it was 26 additional hp.

So the cut outs do bolt in and the Y pipe is welded. I have a bunch of spare midpipes. I may just have to cut one up :beer:

Last edited:

gnxs

Established Member
why the hell would you want to do that?

F8lsnake runs a full exhaust to 10.34 @ 132 - and countless other extremely fast cobra's run with full exhaust. I think you'll be fine with the exhaust - no reason to redneck it all up man.

I may be an asshole, but i keep it real! :d
+1. Until it's proven that at our moderate power levels uncorking the exhaust makes so much more power, I'll continue to run through the cats/full exhaust.

However, there is a tangible weight benefit to removing the catback. To me though, it's not worth the hassle and garbage truck exhaust note that would result.

Last edited:

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
+1. Until it's proven that at our moderate power levels uncorking the exhaust makes so much more power, I'll continue to run through the cats/full exhaust.

However, there is a tangible weight benefit to removing the catback. To me though, it's not worth the hassle and garbage truck exhaust note that would result.

well, I was thinking more along the lines of being able to hot lap and lose some weight rather than actually gain power.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Although I think there "could" be a modest performance improvement, my motivation to drop the catback for drag racing was mostly for weight reduction. Where I am with the Eaton, there's just not a whole lot more ways to increase power production, so suspension, weight reduction, and driving improvement are 2009 priorities. I doubt it would sound very good going down the track, but I'll only have to put up with it for 10 and 1/2 seconds....hopefully.....

Users who are viewing this thread