Going to the scrap yard w/my old block

DolSVT00

Established Member
These pictures make me LOL, this was what saved my heads

save1.jpg

save.jpg

LightningLou

Established Member
Yeah my heads were saved because the piston was on the downstroke lol. Just pulled it right down into the oil pan. You got lucky too I see. Nice pics. :)

DolSVT00

Established Member
oh no , how much boost you run ?

A bunch 19# and a bunch of timing 24*, it let loose on the drag strip. There were no signs of detonation, it didn't detonate, the rod just couldn't hold the power and snaped like a twig. It run a 7.40 @94mph (1/8 mile) when it blew though.

I've already put a built block back in, it was only down for a month. I had another block sitin in my garage waitin to be built.

dizzygoat

Established Member
how much you want for those rods/pistons? you think they can still handle 15psi cause thats all ima be pushin????

im jizzzzzzoking, i wonder how much the scrap yard will give you?

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
A bunch 19# and a bunch of timing 24*, it let loose on the drag strip. There were no signs of detonation, it didn't detonate, the rod just couldn't hold the power and snaped like a twig. It run a 7.40 @94mph (1/8 mile) when it blew though.
Are you sure about not having any detonation? What do the piston tops look like?
The photo of the bottom of the piston indicates there was excessive combustion heat. Dark brown coloring all over underside of piston means the oil was cooking from the tremedous heat. A "happy" motor would have almost no discoloration under the pistons.
That much heat could eventually melt the ring lands and seize the pistons.
It also could be because you were running too lean on fuel.

Last edited:

dizzygoat

Established Member
$40 thats it? i guess if these were aluminum they would be worth alot more. Still, $40 almost isnt worth the gas and trouble of taking it to the scrap yard if you're like me and live at least an hour from the closest one.

DolSVT00

Established Member
Are you sure about not having any detonation? What do the piston tops look like?
The photo of the bottom of the piston indicates there was excessive combustion heat. Dark brown coloring all over underside of piston means the oil was cooking from the tremedous heat. A "happy" motor would have almost no discoloration under the pistons.
That much heat could eventually melt the ring lands and seize the pistons.
It also could be because you were running too lean on fuel.

The tops were clean, the plugs looked great and I had my eye on the a/f (11.6 when pop) the heat discoloration is from the obvious hole the rod put in the water jacket, causing my engine to become a steam plant. It was so clean up top, I actually re-used the heads. (After they were checked we found that they were mechanicly perfect and had hardly no sign's of wear or detonation.)

Last edited:

SVTL Joe Joe

Banned
lmfao gotta be one of the funniest failures ive ever seen id be proud of that lmao you made the piston do a back flip

whoa nvm is that underneath?

Last edited:

DolSVT00

Established Member
Damn what size pulley were u running on that eaton? This was with race gas I'm assuming?

See post# 4, 2.80 upper 8# lower (19#) Race fuel and Water/Meth. She was flying, I lifted the right front tire on that pass, I cut a 1.560 60' on the stock converter. I had run a ton of 7.60's (1/8 mile) and a few 12.1's on that block. I was shootin for mid 11's on a stock block stock converter ported eaton (no laughing gas) truck. I had it too........ It run a 7.40@94 (1/8 mile) if it woulda made it to the 1/4 i think 11.6ish was in the bag, but it went up in smoke just before I crossed the 1/8 mile beams.

Users who are viewing this thread