Going to the local drag races tomorrow...any advise?

harlockssx

Established Member
I'm taking my 2011 GT to the strip for the first time tomorrow, here at the Yas Circuit in Abu Dhabi (UAE). I'll be running on Toyo R888's R-compound 305-35-18's, which hopefully will give me somewhat decent traction, with my mods. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for what stiffness I should dial in for my Ford Racing adj suspension, tire pressure, and optimal launch rpms...? Any tips are appreciated!

My mechanical setup is a 2011 GT manual trans, 3.73 gears, ARH longtubes with catted x-pipe, Borla over axle pipes with 2013 GT500 mufflers, BMR relo brackets, Ford Racing adj shocks/struts with the P-springs, Eibach sways, Steeda panhard with upper and lower control arms, DSS aluminum driveshaft, Boss 302 intake, 90mm throttlebody, JLT CF intake, Boss oil cooler, MGW shifter...as listed in my signature, lol!

The temps here have been fairly mild for the region, mid to upper 70's in the day, dropping to 60's in the evening...our track time is from 3-7 PM. I'm thinking of launching about 3500 rpm, shifting around 7300 (my tune has my rev limiter set to 7600), and starting at around 32 psi and lowering. I don't know if I'll be able to avoid the burnout box, but will try to, since these are really road race tires, and not drag radials.

mhyjek

Established Member
I'm taking my 2011 GT to the strip for the first time tomorrow, here at the Yas Circuit in Abu Dhabi (UAE). I'll be running on Toyo R888's R-compound 305-35-18's, which hopefully will give me somewhat decent traction, with my mods. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for what stiffness I should dial in for my Ford Racing adj suspension, tire pressure, and optimal launch rpms...? Any tips are appreciated!

My mechanical setup is a 2011 GT manual trans, 3.73 gears, ARH longtubes with catted x-pipe, Borla over axle pipes with 2013 GT500 mufflers, BMR relo brackets, Ford Racing adj shocks/struts with the P-springs, Eibach sways, Steeda panhard with upper and lower control arms, DSS aluminum driveshaft, Boss 302 intake, 90mm throttlebody, JLT CF intake, Boss oil cooler, MGW shifter...as listed in my signature, lol!

The temps here have been fairly mild for the region, mid to upper 70's in the
day, dropping to 60's in the evening...our track time is from 3-7 PM. I'm thinking of launching about 3500 rpm, shifting around 7300 (my tune has my rev limiter set to 7600), and starting at around 32 psi and lowering. I don't know if I'll be able to avoid the burnout box, but will try to, since these are really road race tires, and not drag radials.

Track prep will dictate launch rpm but I would start out conservative maybe like 2k and walk the clutch out the hole I had similar setup when NA and could cut 1.8 sixty foot times with nitto 555 not the r version any more rpm would induce smoke fest but the track I was on didn't do a good prep job the two times I was there. The real question will be worth short shifting to 5th or riding out 4th and bump the rev limiter?
Good luck! And post some times if all goes well 11.70 at 118-119 is my guess

JasinEdward

Established Member
With the 35's he'll have to shift into 5th..... right? I have 3.73's and a 27" tall tire and I'm barely able to ride out 4th...

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
Kinda curious how this works out at the drag strip
Toyo R888's R-compound 305-35-18.
Looks like a fourth to fifth shift is in your future... 7600 @ 118mph

Last edited:

harlockssx

Established Member
Well, will let you know in a few hours...track is extremely well prepped, from my understanding. The Yas drag strip is one of the only tracks in the world constructed the way it is...one continual piece of asphalt with no expansion joints, and has had quite a few world record times made there. I never even knew...lol! It's literally only a 6 minute drive from my front door too, so I expect quite a few more track visits in my future....

SCalla1384

Established Member
With 3.73's and shifting at 7600 rpm he shouldn't have to be near going into 5th gear.
If your have nt555r's I always do a nasty 2nd gear burnout, launch about 4500rpm and slip the clutch quick. I was able to run consistent 1.74-1.75 60' best being a 1.72 then a 1.73.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Oh you have toyo R888's. I've heard those are really good. I'd start at like 3000 and go from there. Just don't drop tire pressure below 20psi. That's a mistake on nitto drag radials and any street tire.

downwardspiral

Hammerhead
Established Member
Yep, slip that clutch, don't dump it

I think the motion as squeezing the gas pedal instead of stomping it. If the tires spin off the line reduce throttle input (launch RPM) until you hook up, never expect to regain traction by mashing the gas pedal or shifting into 2nd. I found that even when I was NA I would have to squeeze the pedal into 2nd too or I'd spin.

harlockssx

Established Member
Well, it was an interesting night...I made 11 passes, along with about 40-50 other cars, mostly Mustangs, there was an Audi R8, and Evo 10, a G37S (LOL!), and a CTS-V that were running too. The fastest cars were well-prepped GT500's...traction was not anyone's friend, as temps dipped down to the 60's and it was difficult to keep your tires warm. This was my first time down the strip since 1996, so I expected a bit of a learning curve...

The good:
I was definitely one of the fastest 5.0's out there, once I got a launch technique sorted (more on that below). My best time was 12.4 @ 184kmh (114.3 mph), and I was able to get consistent 12.5's several passes. It was awesome kicking the Evo down each time we ran each other (I though those things had great traction?), 2012 GT500, and even a Roush Stage 3 (625 hp) twice, that couldn't hook, or catch up...

The Bad:
Launching was next to impossible. No matter how I adjusted my tire pressure and launch rpm (even as low as 1500) I could NOT launch without smoking the tires from the start, even feathering, or blowing them off the top of first gear. My best technique was an off-idle launch, which really hurt getting a better time...but no matter what I did, I just couldn't hook otherwise. My best launches were with a quick 3 second burnout to heat up, reverse and a quick burnout scrub to shed any water that might be on the tires, and launching with no rpm, just an off idle launch...

Lessons learned:
I received a phone call telling me to leave NOW to register early, due to an anticipated large showing...right as I was prepping my car. I went completely in street trim, tools, spare, floor jack, suspension not properly adjusted, etc. I had planned to remove all seats except the driver seat, remove anything else possible, and adjust my shocks to full loose front, 3/4 stiff rear, and ensure my BMR lower brackets were properly set for drag racing...except I didn't get a chance to do ANY of those things!

I even forgot my allen key adjuster for my shocks, so I was SOL on that....I believe that if I'm going to make a habit of this, I'll be investing in big & littles with slicks, quick disconnect for my front swaybar, rear swaybar relocate, and making the proper adjustments to my suspension setup. I'm sure that 12 flats and possibly even breaking into the 11's might be possible if I do that. In short, the R888 tire is great for street and road course, but absolutely worthless to me at the drag strip.

mhyjek

Established Member
Well, it was an interesting night...I made 11 passes, along with about 40-50 other cars, mostly Mustangs, there was an Audi R8, and Evo 10, a G37S (LOL!), and a CTS-V that were running too. The fastest cars were well-prepped GT500's...traction was not anyone's friend, as temps dipped down to the 60's and it was difficult to keep your tires warm. This was my first time down the strip since 1996, so I expected a bit of a learning curve...

The good:
I was definitely one of the fastest 5.0's out there, once I got a launch technique sorted (more on that below). My best time was 12.4 @ 184kmh (114.3 mph), and I was able to get consistent 12.5's several passes. It was awesome kicking the Evo down each time we ran each other (I though those things had great traction?), 2012 GT500, and even a Roush Stage 3 (625 hp) twice, that couldn't hook, or catch up...

The Bad:
Launching was next to impossible. No matter how I adjusted my tire pressure and launch rpm (even as low as 1500) I could NOT launch without smoking the tires from the start, even feathering, or blowing them off the top of first gear. My best technique was an off-idle launch, which really hurt getting a better time...but no matter what I did, I just couldn't hook otherwise. My best launches were with a quick 3 second burnout to heat up, reverse and a quick burnout scrub to shed any water that might be on the tires, and launching with no rpm, just an off idle launch...

Lessons learned:
I received a phone call telling me to leave NOW to register early, due to an anticipated large showing...right as I was prepping my car. I went completely in street trim, tools, spare, floor jack, suspension not properly adjusted, etc. I had planned to remove all seats except the driver seat, remove anything else possible, and adjust my shocks to full loose front, 3/4 stiff rear, and ensure my BMR lower brackets were properly set for drag racing...except I didn't get a chance to do ANY of those things!

I even forgot my allen key adjuster for my shocks, so I was SOL on that....I believe that if I'm going to make a habit of this, I'll be investing in big & littles with slicks, quick disconnect for my front swaybar, rear swaybar relocate, and making the proper adjustments to my suspension setup. I'm sure that 12 flats and possibly even breaking into the 11's might be possible if I do that. In short, the R888 tire is great for street and road course, but absolutely worthless to me at the drag strip.

Yeah launching a manual is work and it sounds like you learned a lot! You are your way to lower times keep up the good work!

Users who are viewing this thread