Going to need a tune.. or not?

RioRed97Cob

Established Member
Hey guys. So I've got a basically stock 97 cob that I'm looking to beef up before mustang week rolls around in July. (Don't know if you've heard about it, but it's an insane time and you should check it out!)
Anyways, I've bought a WMS full fendermount cold-air which was kinda hard to find these days. I've also purchased from a member on here a ported upper manifold that's been made to adapt a single blade t/b. Also, I have a accufab oval t/b to strap to it. I guess my question is about the IMRC's. I've been trying to research as much as I can to determine if I want deletes, or if I should just go with a functioning ported set? I plan to stay n/a for a while and am trying to avoid a tune if possible. Is it true you need some sort of tune with deletes? Because if thats the case then those are out.
I'm just wondering if I can strap all this on without any issues or needing any sort of tune. I'm a DIY type of guy, but have lack of experience and space to ever do anything drastic to my motor myself. And before anyone says it, I'll just go ahead and say yes I'm looking for a lower manifold to throw on there as well. Whether it's a short runner or ported.
ANYYY suggestions, help, or personal experiences is welcome. Thanks

chris1badL

Established Member
I wouldnt say u NEEDED one but I would at least get someone to check the A/F ratio to see your not running lean. To bring out the most of the bolt-ons I would say get a tune. I will be down there in July in my 2010 gt. I have been down 2 years now and its a blast. So many sick cars down there. Last year I had a 08 procharged GT but it was stolen a few monthes back. Good luck buddy

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
i'd say get it tuned. it will run more efficient and it will give you some peice of mind.

RioRed97Cob

Established Member
Thanks guys for your input. I guess when it comes down to it, I should just go for the tune. And since that's the case I'll probably go a little further in my build so that spending the money for a tune will seem more worth it. I've got a buddy that lives in Raleigh, so I've considered leaving my car with him to get some work done after mustang week is over. As most cobra owners, I'd kill to go turbo. One of the factors holding me back is all the additional cost of getting a new k-member.Makes a super kit seem more applicable.

Users who are viewing this thread