Going to look at some rings today....

04 Redline

Established Member
Yeah, me and the GF are going to check out some rings. It will be a while before there is a proposal, but I'd like to get an idea now. I have no idea what a carat is, how much they cost, are there crappy/good diamonds, how much she wants, and where I can look at. Help me fellas.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I've never been able to put together the whole 'engagement' thing.

I hear of guys that drop to one knee and bust a ring out of nowhere.

Then others who go 'shopping' with their GF for a ring, which obsiously would kill any sort of surprise.

So I'm guessing there's just more than 1 way of doing things?

Something tells me if she found picking out the ring THAT important that she's paying too much attention to the tangible and not the symbolic..

WhistlePig

Bedroom Gangsta
Established Member
I made my G/F go with me to look at rings. She has such small fingers that I wanted to get something that wouldn't look retarded on her and also to get her in the mood for when we got back home...oh yeah...ca ching!

DCAN87

Established Member
There are all different diamonds. They have great quality ones and lesser quality ones. The great ones are VERY clear and the lesser are a little more cloudy. There is also different colors. The only thing you need to know about carats is the more, the better. Go to a jewelry store and look at a few different ones. Remember, a little bigger will cost you alot more money. I say about 10 carats will be enough. :D j.k

Last edited:

RidnRodsLightng

Established Member
well, don't be suprised when she gets pissed 6 months down the road and you have not popped the questions....you are leading her on by going to look even though you are no where ready to propose....trust me, just some advice from one of those crazy women peoples! :rolling:

ibanezkm

Established Member
The 2 main important features to look for in a diamond imo are cut and color. The cut makes the diamond sparkle. You get a lousy cut, you don't get a great diamond. If you have enough money, try for an "ideal" or "Very Very Good Cut". I would get a color from minimum of A to I. (well probably not A, b/c those are almost rare, hehe and not to mention the price) Also, you want the clarity to be pretty good. You don't want too many imperfections. If you want more information, go to www.bluenile.com. They have a section which tells you all about diamonds and what to look for. When you go shopping, be sure to ask the jewellers information such as the cut, clairity, color, etc. Don't let them take advantage of you, try and talk them down. Oh yeah, if your planning on being with this person for the rest of you life, make sure you don't skimp out on the ring. If you put $20 here, $50 there, you'd be surprised with how much you have saved up in a year. Also, for the size of the ring. Have her try on various sizes b/c honestly, some rings look too small on a hand and some look too big.

Last edited:

Sirhc7897

Established Member
Important thing to remember:

Cut and clarity will go a long wat towards making a smaller diamond appear bigger. When I was shopping the jeweler sat a 1.5 carat and a 2 carat stone side by side. The 1.5 actually appeared bigger because it was a much nicer cut, clarity & symmetry(sp) as opposed to the 2 that was cloudy, not as clear and nowhere nearly as good a cut...

That said the 1.5 was actually more than the crappy 2...

04 Redline

Established Member
03 DSG Snake said:
I've never been able to put together the whole 'engagement' thing.

I hear of guys that drop to one knee and bust a ring out of nowhere.

Then others who go 'shopping' with their GF for a ring, which obsiously would kill any sort of surprise.

So I'm guessing there's just more than 1 way of doing things?

Something tells me if she found picking out the ring THAT important that she's paying too much attention to the tangible and not the symbolic..
I though about that part about her finding a cool @$$ ring and placing too much importance on it. I agree with you on that one, but this kind of stuff women dream about when they are just little girls. She doesn't have all that much money, so it will probably be a small wedding. But you're right, it shouldn't matter. She drives a crappy Hyundai, so I think it's fair that she get something nice. At least she won't bug me to buy a house/condo because I have one already, and explained to her that we have to get a prenup. My condo is in my name, and my rental is shared with my parents. Just trying to protect my parents. Anyway, how much do these things cost?

Last edited:

04 Redline

Established Member
Damn, those are expensive! I wanted to wait to buy it when I get my tax return, so I guess I'm not doing a pulley swap anytime soon! What's better with these, cash or finance? My credit is around 683, everything paid on time, debt to income is around 55%. Finance through them? What did some of you guys do? Sorry for the 50 questions I just like to be prepared.

ibanezkm

Established Member
Cash in full...Your credit rating is pretty good. I think it should be up to you what you think you should spend. For a decent ring, I would say look to spend atleast 3k

Last edited:

svt32v99

Suck it!
Established Member
ibanezkm said:
Cash in full...Your credit rating is pretty good. I think it should be up to you what you think you should spend. For a decent ring, I would say look to spend atleast 3k

ehhh, not that much. more like 1500-2000. jmho.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
I wish mine was only 3k...

I just spent 11,000 and felt pretty good about what I walked out with...

2.5 Carat, colorless, inernally flawless, with the near perfect cut. Additionally it was a set and between what's in the rest of the ring and the engagement band is another carat. It's really awesome as the ring nests within the engagement bands...

So total 3.5 Carat, platinum for 11,000 OTD. They wanted 15,000 retail before tax...

ibanezkm

Established Member
Mine was approx 10k. 1.02 carat round cut, G color, VVS2, Ideal Cut. The setting has diamonds in it weighing .68, ideal cut, color of G. Place this ring next to any others from i.e. mall, etc and it blows them away.

Users who are viewing this thread