Going to Kauahi - Must see things

Adower

Established Member
We will be heading to Kauai for 8 days to attend a wedding in early May.

We're planning to do the following:
1/ Snorkel at Tunnels and Poipu beach
2/ Play a round of golf
3/ Check out a luau
4/ Want to do some hiking - Has to be easier difficulty as we have a 7 year old daughter

For those who have been there are there any must see/do things that you can recommend?

Last edited:

dwest731

Established Member
Nepali Coast rubber boat tour was fun, Spouting Horn was cool too. Tree tunnel road made for some good pics but catching it without cars may take some time. We did a kayak tour that lead to a hike to a waterfall but I can’t recall the name, we went past walking trees on that hike. That hike was very doable for a child. They have the original Jurassic Park gates there too. I went in 08 so some things may have changed.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Been there a few times.
Sign up for 10 free articles here. Worth your while. It'll help with road closures too.

You see this? May/may not be a big deal.

- We bought mask/snorkels mainland, then rented fins and boogie boards.
- Traffic is horrible. IF you plan on going to the other side of the island, leave a lot of time. Like 1-1/2 - 2 hours from Poipu to Hanalei. Even early in the day. It's island time.
- Bubba's Burgers, either store.
- Rob's Good Times Grill in Lihue for Sunday breakfast. Have a beef patty Loco Moco.

6ECB9B63-B47F-455A-8B45-1D046267FECD.jpeg

Oh, and skip the luau. Sit on the beach instead. You're welcome and have fun.

7upstang

Established Member
We spent nearly two weeks there.

Find Secret Beach.

We did one of the Luau, all you can eat and drink-think the price was over $100 per person. Not really worth it, well at least I wouldn't go again.

Queens bath was gorgeous.

The Napoli coast line is an absolute must! We went by boat and helicopter.
Waimea Canyon is worth it as well.

Golf was a blast, one course opened at 7 AM. We did that and watched the sunrise basically.

Also, get a Puka dog (if you like hot dogs). I don't remember eating anywhere that blew me away with quality of food.

Morgan

Established Member
Highly recommend “Tidepools” restaurant at the Grand Hyatt. Awesome views, great beach and best food we experienced on the island.

MFE

Established Member
Anini Beach, up on the way to Princeville. It is quiet, easily accessible, and amazing. So good we picnicked there twice, under the shelter of a huge tree.

Good call on the golf, the views up there are fn amazing and it's a public course!

Check out Puka Dog for the best hotdog ever.

We took a helicopter tour and I was ready to slap the card down and go right back up again but my wife couldn't handle it.

If you like Hawaiian slack-key guitar (check it out if you don't know what I'm talking about) there's this couple that puts on shows in Princeville and little All Saints church in Kapa'a on Wednesdays

Adower

Established Member
We spent nearly two weeks there.

Find Secret Beach.

We did one of the Luau, all you can eat and drink-think the price was over $100 per person. Not really worth it, well at least I wouldn't go again.

Queens bath was gorgeous.

The Napoli coast line is an absolute must! We went by boat and helicopter.
Waimea Canyon is worth it as well.

Golf was a blast, one course opened at 7 AM. We did that and watched the sunrise basically.

Also, get a Puka dog (if you like hot dogs). I don't remember eating anywhere that blew me away with quality of food.
I checked the luau. It’s about 140$ per person or you can see the show for 25$ I have no problem paying 100$ for food if it’s fine dining. But this seems more like a buffet.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I checked the luau. It’s about 140$ per person or you can see the show for 25$ I have no problem paying 100$ for food if it’s fine dining. But this seems more like a buffet.
We did a luau in maui, show was awesome, open bar, food sucked ass…The Luau was pricey, but my gf and I made up for it at the bar.

MFE

Established Member
We did the luau, and came away mixed. I thought the actual show itself was impressive and enjoyable, and I'm not even into the whole dance/musical thing. The dinner amounted to a glorified buffet with some artsy/crafsty vendors of local goods if that's your thing. Could have done without the low-key racist hostility of the shuttle driver. Glad we did it, wouldn't do it again.

Users who are viewing this thread