Going to drag strip tonight, need launch tips

Spiney

Established Member
I've got a slightly modded 96 Cobra. No cats, H pipe, Flowmaster exhaust, K&N CAI, and Superchip. Using 17" 245 street tires at about 40-50% tread left. Stock rear 3:23?

What RPM is a good starting point to launch at? I haven't been at the drags since 86 with my 4 speed Mach-1 351-C. I'm just doing this for fun, definitely don't want to do any damage to my car, can't afford it. Also what rpm do you recommend shifting at?

I have a BAMA Tuner but I want to get a baseline with this 13 year old Superchip to see what if any improvements I get with the BAMA tune over the Chip. I have to remove the chip before I can upload the tunes, so I won't be doing that tonight.

Thanks for any feedback. Spiney-Dave

NVRL8TE

Death or Glory
Established Member
Leave just above idle, but as aggressive as you can.

1-2 shift, 7k.

2-3 shift, 6800.

Run through the traps in 3rd.

svtcobralover

Established Member
I'd try and launch at 2,100 and build your way up. Limiting factory is going to be the tires and your gears arn't helping. I wouldn't be surprised if you don't break into the 13's. Most likely 13.9s if anything. Also I'd get rid of the chip and run it with the stock tune. Often times those email tunes do more harm then good.

Spiney

Established Member
It was our first time out and I let my wife drive 3 out of the 4 passes. Had a blast, can't wait to go back and reduce our times. Best time was 14.8 @ 97.9mph. I know the car can do much better, it's the drivers. No problem with traction, but then the most we launched at was 3000. My wife was having a hard time getting into 3rd, I then realized she was running it into the red, about 7500. Once we backed off her shifts to 6500 she dropped from 15.5 to 14.8. Previous owner said he ran it 13.4 at same track. Muscle Mustangs and Modified Fords mag from 1996 test of the 96 Cobra had a best of 13.9 on street tires and 13.4 on slicks stock. I think the Superchip eliminates the cutoff so I'm glad she didn't do any damage to the car. I will take the Superchip out and try the various BAMA tunes next time out.

Best part is wife is hooked. Makes me want to buy a strip only Mustang just for fun and see what happens. No one stalled or red lighted from our group of about 10 members from out Mustang Club that night. Best time was a member who ran 12.4 in a Fox convertible with a Stroker. He can't run anymore until he installs a rollcage. Thanks for the tips, open to more. Dave

Users who are viewing this thread