Going to car shows

5.0stang95

Established Member
When you guys go to car shows do you use a show bored or anything to show specifications of the car or build number, build date, mileage, mods etc I feel like when I take my 2003 with 6500 miles not many appreciate it for what it is. They look at is just another mustang.

I didn't buy it to please other people and I dont really care about winning anything but more about sparking up conversation about the car and sharing information.
9b6398d42def5067e4f777ef34ca4093.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Gary101386

Established Member
I have a binder with documentation and the carfax about my Mystichrome. I would like to pick up one of those drive on car show stands to hold the book. Right now I just set it on top of the radiator...

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
To most people, that is completely true. They are just going to see another Mustang. Even to most Mustang people, who see it for what it is, without a big mod list there isn't a lot to look at because it looks pretty factory... though that might spark some good conversation and looks from the right people.

You are thinking in the right way though, you should probably put together something that isn't too overwhelming and boring. You need to let people know that it is something special, and not expect them to read a novel to get there.

I would create a board, include your certificate, highlight your build number. Maybe a few small snaps of the building process. Throw a copy of Iron Fist Lead Foot. Add some quotes and some pics, let people know that this is an important car. Highlight it's cult following, you can probably find some interesting narratives from Wiki or something... just be sure to quote your sources.

It is a bit of a project but this is probably the best way around it looking like another Mustang that people will gloss right on over.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I had a list that I'd put by my 01 that answered a lot of questions. My wife wants to get a board for my 04 that explains the Mystichrome package. Really it just needs to say "Yes, it's factory paint".

Gary101386

Established Member
My wife wants to get a board for my 04 that explains the Mystichrome package. Really it just needs to say "Yes, it's factory paint".

Isn't it funny how many people ask that.

Where'd you get that painted...?
Bet that paint job wasn't cheap...!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Established Member
Isn't it funny how many people ask that.

Where'd you get that painted...?
Bet that paint job wasn't cheap...!

I had one guy not believe me when I told him. Right after I told him it was factory he turned to his wife and said "look, he even got the seats to match".

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I had one guy not believe me when I told him. Right after I told him it was factory he turned to his wife and said "look, he even got the seats to match".

Wow, what a d-bag.

bssmith1220

Established Member
I took my mystichrome to my first show last month. Barely got any attention and those who said anything at all just asked where it was painted. So same story as the rest of you guys I guess. I was a bit disappointed honestly.

Gary101386

Established Member
I took my mystichrome to my first show last month. Barely got any attention and those who said anything at all just asked where it was painted. So same story as the rest of you guys I guess. I was a bit disappointed honestly.

This surprises me. I can barely take the thing out of the garage without someone commenting on it, thumbs up, or head turning.

I had it in my driveway and someone stopped and walked up and asked if they could take pictures of it...

Had the same thing at a small plaza store, guy asked if he could take pictures...

5.0stang95

Established Member
Thanks for the replys didnt know what kind if feedback I would get. Was at a show and my wife insisted we stay for the prizes.

I knew it wasnt going to get anything it was the top 20 cars out of 100 and all votes were from people who entered cars. Most cars were 60s and 70s which were beautiful cars. But that meant to me they weren't interested in a newer car or what the car was. It was kind of sad seeing the old folk walk by with out even noticing 4 or 5 of our new cars.
End of the day we love our cars so who really cares.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I would not get one of those corny signs / boards. Quite honestly, if people at car shows dont know what it is, you probably dont want to talk to them anyway.

RI-SVT

TVS Powered
Established Member
documentation does help a lot in winning car shows, besides the condition of the car of-course, I'm always amazed on some of the cars I see win at these shows, is either a 2016 out off the lot or a damn corvette lol

01yellercobra

Established Member
I would not get one of those corny signs / boards. Quite honestly, if people at car shows dont know what it is, you probably dont want to talk to them anyway.
So you'd rather not talk about your car? I don't mind telling people about my car. It's fun to me.

As for the dude that didn't believe me, I just laughed at him.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
So you'd rather not talk about your car? I don't mind telling people about my car. It's fun to me.

As for the dude that didn't believe me, I just laughed at him.

I didnt say that. But to be honest, I rather mostly talk to gear heads instead of people who dont have a clue.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I didnt say that. But to be honest, I rather mostly talk to gear heads instead of people who dont have a clue.

I agree with you. I don't care much for those stands. If someone has a question or wants to talk about my car that's cool. But if not meh so what. I have a group of gear heads local that we can bs at the local cars & coffee.

bssmith1220

Established Member
People talk to me at gas stations and places too. Maybe it was just the show I was at. Almost all older muscle cars, antiques, and fresh off the lot cars.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I like to go to car shows as a spectator, I leave my car at home. I've been to dozens, never taken my car and "entered" it once. I only actually take my car to cruise in type free events. Something about paying $20 to then be forced to sit there all day in the heat until they finally get around to the awards, which I've noticed are never on time, doesn't feel fun to me. I have a friend with a nice older Chevelle and it basically ruins his Saturday if he doesn't get an award, or doesn't get the award he feels he should have won.

Of course the irony is, if everyone felt the way I did, there would be no shows for me to go to in the first place. As for the voting, it's not exactly rigged, but I can tell you that guys from clubs will take turns voting up each others cars, that's what has happened anytime you see some stock '95 GT with a set of chrome bullets take home the best 94+ Ford.

On your actual question - my opinion is one of those cheap plastic stands you can get at staples that hold a single sheet of paper is perfect. Just do something decent looking in Word with maybe 10 facts or mods and set it up on the radiator cover. Start with your "one of" number, for instance my car is 1 of 167, at the top to catch peoples attention enough to read the sheet.

Last edited:

Huff-n-puff

Established Member
I've been to a lot of car shows with my heavily modded '97. I've never used a sign but have seen some really cool ones. My car is nice enough to have been featured in 5.0 Mustang magazine and also Mustang Enthusiast magazine, which is now dead. The only time I ever got attention at one of the "generic" car shows, the ones where they have every kind of car, is when I first pull in to park because the car sounds like a jet. After that it's just another Mustang and I see people walk by and barely take notice. The shows that I did well in were the Mustang specific shows at the NMRA events. This is where there would be a line of people standing there to talk to me next. Pick the right car shows and the right crowds for attention. These are the people you'll want to talk to anyway as they will truly be Mustang enthusiasts who are really interested in your car and hang on every word you say.

Users who are viewing this thread