Going skiing for the first time

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
First time I went skiing was back in March of '02.
I just bought some bibs here in Wichita, used my sunglasses, gloves and my Starter coat which had a removable hood and was damn near perfect. I wore a stocking cap the first day only. After that just wore a visor with sunglasses.
As silly as it may sound, learn "how to fall". Because you will, alot. My first day I ended up "yard selling" a dozen times because I kept wanting to put more weight on my inboard ski, like to do a 90° stop on iceskates. On Skis you put your weight on the downhill ski instead. It took me a few days to remember. I went skiing for 5 days, and by my forth day was doing double diamond blacks, skijumps and the halfpipe they had set up Loveland that year, I was no X-games contestant and looked like an idiot, but had a blast. If you start to fall, go limp and you wont hurt as badly in the evening. The hot tub was a lifesaver. My brother-in-law's parrents have a nice condo in the mountains, just can't remember exactly where, but want to say it's either Vail or Breckenridge right on a slope. Reading this reminds me need to hit them up and see if they will let me stay there, especially after all the help I've done for them. And I'll be in Lakewood over X-mas, where my sister lives anyway. So I'd might as well stay another week over new years skiing.

lokslikasolstic

Mrs. 203Cree
Established Member
Everyone keeps saying you will fall a lot. I feel once my first time skiing. We were out all day long and I didn't even take the lessons. Guess I just got lucky. :shrug:

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Mason De Ski Idaho springs CO. I've rented stuff there on my way snowmobiling that I forgot, I rented a snowboard and some bindings when I was in college. You can go in with shorts and sandles and rent everything you need to survive. Its on the way from DIA to breckenridge.. They even have discounts on lift tickets, ect. Colorado Ski & Snowboard Rentals, Discount Lift Tickets, I-70, Denver, Vail, Breckenridge, Winter Park, Copper Mountain, Loveland, Keystone, Breckenridge, Vail, Beaver Creek, Aspen.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I only went 1 time and it was fun but not as easy as I thought it would be. Then my experienced friend had the bright idea to take us up to the biggest drop of them all. My ass sat on my skis and sledded down that hill.

It didn't cost much for the rental of the skis/boots.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Like someone else said, SUNSCREEN!!! When I was 7(ish) I got sunburned so bad while skiing that my eyes swelled shut.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Definitely rent the equipment. You will trash them pretty good being your first time out. For the most part the clothing you need will come in handy during the winter anyway so it is a good investment anyway. Depending on the anticipated temps where you are going should determine what kind of gear you will need to keep warm. I would not go cheap on Long Underwear, Socks, Gloves, & Hat's. Things like Goggles you can go cheap on for your first time.

yup.

ive been skiing about 5x now (maybe once a year) and always rented. No sense in buying unless you plan on doing it almost every other weekend.

I just buy a snow bib thingy (like overalls) every few years and a new snow jacket as well. I have really good snow boots for when we go to the snow to just mess around with the kids. I have a set of SPY goggles that work really good that i have no idea where they came from (seriously, we found them in our garage in our camping stuff) that ive always used.

Good waterproof gloves are a must.

Oh, and you cannot ski over mud, no matter how fast you are going or how well you waxed your skis. Its like ABS for ski's, you will stop almost instantly and do multiple barrel rolls.

UncleDan

Established Member
I went skiing for the first time last winter and got addicted. Wear good thick socks, jeans covered by ski pants, a good winter coat, good gloves, something to keep your ears warm, and also sunglasses! If it's a sunny day out, the glare off the snow will make you blind.

Just be careful, make sure you can stop on skiis, teach yourself how to turn to maintain your speed, and you'll have a good time on the mountain!

Dominator

The Shogun of Harlem
Established Member
You'll have a great time in Breckenridge, cool town too with plenty of bars. Looks like most people have given you good advice on clothing, which is important. Here are three things that I suggest as well:

1. Stretch before skiing. If you don't, you will be pulling muscles in areas you didn't think you had.

2. Bring a small bottle or flask of Brandy. That will numb your ass from falling on it so much and it will help keep you warm.

3. If you haven't made arrangements for your flight yet, go in March. March gets the most snow and on some days, you can ski with your hat, gloves, and coat off because it's so warm out.

Users who are viewing this thread