Going from Eaton to twins! Could use some help

townaj

Established Member
I'm looking at swapping all my Eaton stuff to a guy with a 99 cobra, but have a few questions. I'm new to the turbo world so I only know how they function, but as far as turbo, wastegate, and BOV sizes and a/r, general turbo size and everything else goes I'm pretty clueless. Anyone have a good place I can find that info?

Also what all do I need to keep on the car? Does the oil cooler get deleted when going turbo or is it better to keep it? I know the filter has to be relocated. I'm assuming my radiator hoses will change also, so I guess he could probably take those. I just don't want to end up getting rid of a piece that I need. Thanks guys!

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Give him this:

Eaton with TB and with Intercooler
Lower Intake
Vacuum lines
Front pulley bridge
Idler pulley behind the front pulley bridge for accessories
Alternator and bracket
Front timing cover. You can use the 03 timing cover for a turbo setup, however he will need your cover for the Eaton swap. So have him trade you his timing cover unless you do not want to give yours up and he can source his own.
Intercooler reservoir
Heat exchanger, hoses and pump
Lower pulley and balancer. ( You will need a new balancer or take his stock one)
Belts
Throttle cable + bracket
Coolant crossovertube and radiator hoses
Oil Cooler and lower radiator hose

Now for you. Your questions are rather difficult to answer because we need to know a few things. What kind of power do you want to make?

Very important question, what is your BUDGET?

Oil cooler depending on the kit you get may have be be deleted or relocated. Some kits you can retain the oil cooler in the OEM spot.

Do you want to buy a pre made kit or are you going to have a custom one built?

Also searching in this forum there is a ton of info to help answer your questions

townaj

Established Member
Thanks for the list! We're trying to get it all situated so we aren't left without something we need

Power, I'm not looking for anything crazy. For now 800 would be plenty, I'm looking at running around 10.5:1 compression and e85. I'll be swapping in some 99/01 cams also.

There isn't really a budget. I'm obviously trying to spend as little as possible, but just gonna see how it goes as I progress through the build.

As far as the kit, I'm looking at going with the CG fab hotside. I contacted Caleb and he said he's got a new passenger header that allows me to keep the swaybar as long as I reroute the AC lines.

The coldside I was going to find an intercooler that puts the BOVs in the grille and just fab my own piping for that stuff.

Friend of mine suggested going with 57/48 turbos with t3 inlets with and a .81 a/r. Any thoughts on that?

s351

Established Member
For an example of a budget, I just went from an eaton to a single turbo hellion kit + a built motor as my stock one was fried. When I started I had 10-15k in mind and now i'm atleast at 20k. Whatever your thinking pretty much double it all the tiny little shit adds up quick, Stuff always gets changed if your trying to do it right and make it clean. Just something to think about.

townaj

Established Member
Yeah doing it right always adds time and expense, learned that when I put my Camaro together. But its better to spend money now than to spend twice as much later. But selling my short block and eaton swap will help a ton to offset the cost of the build.

The engine is going to be a WAP block with the forged crank, H-beams and probably ARP studs out the ass. Still deciding on a piston though, I've been leaning towards Wiseco cause I can get them through a friend of mine for a good price

Caleb got back to me today. He definitely has the header situation figured out so I'll be going with his hotside kit. Just have to figure out who makes the intercooler style that I'm wanting to run

s351

Established Member
I thought the aluminum wap blocks were only good for around 800 rwhp??

townaj

Established Member
That's all I'll be looking to hit for now. And all the research I did seemed to show that the rods or crank would give out long before the block would. I think Mihovetz uses them at 1200+ and his Teksid's even higher. There's a thread on YB that discussed it a little

Last edited:

s351

Established Member
Ya I was just checking twins and e85 with a built motor should make well above 800rwhp

townaj

Established Member
Especially with 10.5:1. But I'm not looking at running a whole lot of boost. Not at first at least. Think I found the turbos I'll be going with also! The compressor map seems to match up perfectly with what I want

s351

Established Member
Sounds good man, just wanted to make sure you knew about the blocks limits and such. I personally over build everything so if I eventually want to turn up the boost I can, without having to rebuild the motor. You might want to find a teksid block so you don't have to build it twice just my opinion.

What turbo's have you decided on ?? Twin 62 precisions would be a good choice with that compression and e85 + plus u would have lots of room to grow once you turn up the wick. Build it right once.

townaj

Established Member
I was looking at a pair of Turbonetics T04E Hybrids. 58/49 with a .82 a/r. Ceramic ball bearing, oil cooled, etc. The compressor map seems to be a perfect match, with them being in the 78% efficiency zone for most of the 3500-6500 rpm range. The only thing I worry about with larger turbos is compressor surge and lag time. But I'll see if I can locate the maps for the precision 62s and take a look

Users who are viewing this thread