Going from 2009 C6 Z06 to 2011-2012 GT500 or 2013 BOSS 302

Black Sex

Established Member
You can look at the bolt heads in the engine compartment and see what has been removed and what hasn't

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Thanks again, guys. Thanks again!

I would get a pulley and tune, it's how the car should have come stock. I think they limited it to 9psi for the people who would put 87 in it. Hey, they gotta give it a 50k warranty right? On 93, there is no reason not to run 14psi. I was severely disappointed with the car stock at 9psi.

With the tune, even off boost, you gain WAY more daily driveability. Must be the added timing or something but the car felt like a dog when it was stock, around town. The tune really woke it up. Then at 14psi with the pulley, its WAY PLENTY FAST FOR THE STREET! Ha, I remember my old SN95 with 230 crank hp, wow what a difference this car is compared to that! Stock I made 475rwhp, and pulley/tune 540rwhp, with nothing but positive things to say, totally worth it.

Do the synchro test, and listen for any clutch drag. Synchro test is when you have the car parked, then you apply about 10lbs of force on the shifter trying to push it into 1st or 2nd gear. Look for any hint of mods. If it has low miles, does it still have tread on the original factory tires? I got about 25,000 miles out of my stock tires, not beating on it. Also run a CARFAX, stay away from any cars out of NY, NJ.

Last edited:

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
One has a supercharger and one doesn't....... It's a pretty simple decision. If you are coming from a z06 you'll get bored with a boss really quick.

kozumasbullitt

Established Member
Lets keep in mind:

the 5.0 motor is a newer and possibly better motor than the OLD 5.4 design. Sure, people are making good power numbers, BUT for the price of a 2012 shelby, I walk past them from 40 rolls, consistently, and have less $ in my car.

with some avid forum searching and working with vendors, you can have a 5.0 that revs to 7200 safely, on E85, with a blower on it that weighs a couple hundred lbs less than a Shelby.

Keep in mind, I'm biased, and do with I had the "SHELBY" across the back of my car simply for the heritage and cool factor that comes along with it. If he were throwing a 13/14 out there as a viable option, Id say that any day over the options out there, but I think the 5.0 motor and platform is a great start for someone.

If I had known I was going to go the route I did on my car, I may have stepped into a 13 shelby at the time, but we all know when you get something like this, it pushes you to mod mod mod.

my car on E85, paxton, 3.33, wastegate set at 9lbs, making close to 700 on stock motor, is not nice to the older shelbys.

With your theory the OP should just buy a 5.0 Fox and with half of what you spent on your Coyote he will walk you every which way. The "old" 5.4 is just as good of a platform to build on as the Coyote and with just a blower swap it puts out the same numbers if not better than a 13/14 GT500. There is no way you can step down from a C6Z into a 5.0 and not feel shortchanged. I had a 02 GT that put out almost 500rwhp and no matter how many Termis I beat, it wasn't the same (Cobra envy).

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
Lets keep in mind:

my car on E85, paxton, 3.33, wastegate set at 9lbs, making close to 700 on stock motor, is not nice to the older shelbys.

Tick, tick, tick ...... Just a matter of time.

I'm not worried everytime I step on the gas that its going to give out. If you are about to say that you aren't worried you should be.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Tick, tick, tick ...... Just a matter of time.

I'm not worried everytime I step on the gas that its going to give out. If you are about to say that you aren't worried you should be.

You know how the game is played:

Guy #1: I put FI on my GT for less than a new Shelby and I beat them all day.

Guy #2: But, your engine is a ticking time bomb with no warranty.

Guy #1: I don't care, I am going to build the motor when it goes 'Boom"!

Guy #2: Maybe, but still no warranty, no TR6060 , no upgraded axles, clutch, cooling, etc...

Guy #1: Yeah, but I saved money, if you exclude resale value and do some creative figuring!
Besides, if I knew where I'd end up, I would've gone a different route. Yet, I still recommend it to others.

Guy #2: Alrighty then!

wakebum2507

EVLTWNS
Established Member
hahah.

a pretty accurate recap!

I think its all about how deep you want to get into these. I typically don't leave any car I have stock, or with just bolt ons, so it is what it is.

If you want to just run a mild bolt on car, a shelby is the way to go. if you wanted to save a penny and go full retard, you could do a GT and go all 'bob the builder' on it.

to each their own!

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
It's like a guy asking the best place to get a steak or some seafood. Then another guy jumps in and says he should get tacos, crazy really.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
I have not come from a Vette, but I did come from a 08 upgraded GT with blower, brakes, and suspension. My 11 Shelby easily blows it out of the water. Yes, the 08 is not a 5.0. I know the 5.0 are vastly superior over them. But the Shelby is superior over a 5.0. I know guys running 5.0 with blowers and they still cannot even begin to touch Roxxy. I know guys who have put silver dollar holes in their blocks pushing 5.0's. The GT is a great platform, but depending on what you want to do, it does have a limit.

The 11 Shelby on the other hand can go well past the limit that can hamper the GT. My setup is in my sig, and its rock solid. My car is easily capable of 10's, and with my non driving, I have taking it to 11.05@128. I will beat most cars on the road modded or not, and I fear no GTR's, Z06's, ZL1's, GT's or SS's......or any other brand you want to toss in. Also its the "Its not a Mustang, its a Shelby" factor. I can drive down the street and see people turn and watch it go by. At car meets I have heard people tell their friends, "Man thats not a regular Mustang..thats a Shelby !" People look and the engine bay and just whistles....I can go on, but as you have realized I am quite happy with my Roxxy.

You have a choice ? Well to me there would be no other choice other than finding a 11~12 SHELBY that fits your budget and buy !

DOUBLE07GT

Established Member
Thanks for all the advice and info guys! Greatly appreciate it.

3-more questions for those who mod.

1. Do you upgrade your fuel pump when building for more power or is the stock one in these cars adequate?

2. At what point do you decide to upgrade to bigger injectors?

3. If mods gain you 575-600 rwhp, what effect did you see in drivability or gas mileage? Probably won't mod, but just in case.......LOL

Ninjak - that was a motivating read for sure! Sealed the deal for me.

So, my search begins.........for '11-'12 and maybe even a '13 if the deal is right...............:-D I will remain patient and wait for the right car. It's definitely out there!

Last edited:

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
My setup is in my sig, and its rock solid. I will beat most cars on the road modded or not, and I fear no GTR's, Z06's, ZL1's, GT's or SS's......or any other brand you want to toss in. Also its the "Its not a Mustang, its a Shelby" factor. I can drive down the street and see people turn and watch it go by. At car meets I have heard people tell their friends, "Man thats not a regular Mustang..thats a Shelby !" People look and the engine bay and just whistles....I can go on, but as you have realized I am quite happy with my Roxxy.

Amen brother! :burnout: And with a little knowledge and skill, we can mod and personalize these cars to suit our individual driving style, all in the comfort of our garages thanks to the huge aftermarket support. I definitely purchased the right car for me!

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for all the advice and info guys! Greatly appreciate it.

3-more questions for those who mod.

1. Do you upgrade your fuel pump when building for more power or is the stock one in these cars adequate?

2. At what point do you decide to upgrade to bigger injectors?

3. If mods gain you 575-600 rwhp, what effect did you see in drivability or gas mileage? Probably won't mod, but just in case.......LOL

You will find varying opinions on fueling for these cars. Your tuner will likely have a preference... talk to them first. Stock pumps are good for about 700 rwhp, with the right injectors. At 670-680 rwhp, you probably need to move up to a bigger injector, 60 or 72#, for a safety margin if nothing else. A fuel pump booster is the best option for some also, with or without injector upgrades. With a good tune, stock like driveability with butt-puckering power on stock tires at WOT. With my mods, I still average 16.5 MPG with mix of spirited city and freeway driving.

sono

Established Member
Have 4 kids and drive 60 mile a day so I understand.
I went with a leftover 12 gt500 and my buddy went roush tvs.
I drove the boss and hated the lower torque curve and the stiffness.
The roush is just as fast without the the "any rpm" torque of the shelby.
The 5.0 is a good platform, but not even close without the supercharger.
I bought shelby cs1 rims and 315 invos because the gt500 is an absolute death trap on the stock tires. FYI because you have kids.

The only problem I find with my 12 is that I keep upgrading to 13 parts. "tvs" etc.

Silver_Serpent

Established Member
No doubt the GT500. If I was doing it again, I would look for one that was already modded with a TVS and some supporting mods, tuned by one of the known tuners.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Amen brother! :burnout: And with a little knowledge and skill, we can mod and personalize these cars to suit our individual driving style, all in the comfort of our garages thanks to the huge aftermarket support. I definitely purchased the right car for me!

:beer:

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
[QUOTE
The only problem I find with my 12 is that I keep upgrading to 13 parts. "tvs" etc.[/QUOTE]

The 2013 is the baddest assed Shelby. Yeah, I wish I had it!

efroeh

Established Member
Go for the shelby op. Its the heritage and like said before its the "is that a mustang with snake emblems, nope shes a shelby" i personally would go with a 13 or 14 gt500 but I am bias. If you do go with one and wanna mod I recommend van at revan racing did a 13-5 kit on mine wemt from 611hp to holy s**t power.

DOUBLE07GT

Established Member
Well, fella's as of tonight - in my garage sits a 20k mi Black/Red loaded-up '11 Shelby! It was the same one I test drove this past weekend. It turned out to be an amazing deal, so I bought it. Thanks again to all for the advice and entertainment inside this thread! Now the fun begins!

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Well, fella's as of tonight - in my garage sits a 20k mi Black/Red loaded-up '11 Shelby! It was the same one I test drove this past weekend. It turned out to be an amazing deal, so I bought it. Thanks again to all for the advice and entertainment inside this thread! Now the fun begins!

Congrats ! Now we need a pic thread.

So now let the mods........BEGIN !!!

Also to answer your earlier questions:
I changed injectors because I received a killer deal on a set of 13/14's. I was running my setup at that point with 656@the wheels with the stockers and no issues. I am now north of 675@the wheels, (I have not dynoed this new setup) and I run the 13/14's. The 11's come with a boost-a-pump like feature, so with a great tune, you will be fine up to about 680~700. Then I would say get a boost-a-pump after that.

The Tires...oh the tires. I have never ran on the stock goodyears. I also do not use DR's (my choice) on the streets. I live in S. FL and I just do not trust our weather lol. What i have always use are Nitto Invo's. I run a 315 on Roxxy and they are great on dry and rain.

With my mods, I still can get 16~17 in the city/highway if I keep my foot out of it. On the TP I cruise at about 75~80. In the city if I take the time to shift it into 5th at 45, I can get 15 or so out of it. Roxxy is not the daily, but I do try to get what I can out of her.

Users who are viewing this thread