• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Going for a rebuild, teksid time

Discussion in 'Terminator Talk' started by 94slowbra1, Feb 11, 2021.

1. 94slowbra1

94slowbra1 Well-Known Member Established Member

Awesome. Thanks

2. holiks03cobra

holiks03cobra Active Member Established Member

[QUOTE="DCguy, post: 16582345, member: 196849"

And don't forget to grab an OEM 3v windage tray - there's also a specific main stud kit for aluminum blocks that use this tray. The 03/04 pickup tube will need to be cut to fit, but its a simple fix.[/QUOTE]

Ford discontinued that tray. I tried to buy another when mine got damaged from a broken rod.

3. 4sdvenom

4sdvenom Never Enough! Established Member

4. 4sdvenom

I may have to give Jonny a call myself soon!

badcobra likes this.
  5. badcobra

badcobra It's Fast Established Member

Most use the GT500 windage tray/gasket now. Much simpler and you use the non-windage tray type main studs.

OMunLJIl.jpg

coposrv likes this.
  6. 4sdvenom

Is it specifically the '13-'14 GT500 windage tray/gasket or did the earlier years use the same?
    Thanks

7. 94slowbra1

^^^ want to know as well^^^

8. badcobra

badcobra It's Fast Established Member

Use the 13-14 gasket.

4sdvenom likes this.
  9. DCguy

DCguy Member Established Member

just tried searching for it again and it appears you are correct its out of stock or discontinued everywhere. Glad I got one a few months back when I did. I have seen them pop up on ebay from time to time.

10. 94slowbra1

Going to pick up all my parts from the, used to be, builder on Sunday. Hopefully it's not too much trouble.
    Parts started arriving today: all the arp bolts and studs, wonder racing HCM, abs delete block, a/delete pulley, gaskets. More parts by the weekend hopefully.
    I'll probably spend some time cleaning, painting and rewiring while I'm waiting to find a builder/getting engine built. I have a couple of leads but nothing definite yet

11. Wings65288

Wings65288 Well-Known Member Established Member

Worst case scenario if you got the space and most importantly time it can be done yourself. I did mine watching YouTube and just by taking my time. When I hit road blocks a friend guided me. He only had to come over once or twice, when I was putting heads on and setting timing. It's mainly clearances and torque specs.

It ain't so bad tho, just ask lots of questions.

12. 94slowbra1

Yeah I'm not sure I want to tackle this, I guess it could be an option but seems daunting.

I did get all my parts back, confrontation free. Now I need to go through and see what the next step is. Hopefully I van get the iron block torn down this week and make a plan

13. AFLOCOBRA

AFLOCOBRA #2168 Established Member

that's a good idea, I'm definitely doing it, I wonder if there's a nice write up on that...

14. 94slowbra1

I've already done a tuck. Took some time but really cleans it up. Now that I have everything out I think I can get a few more things cleaned up though.

15. NateDogg

NateDogg Terminator Established Member

Unfortunate the builder was like that. I had a similar issue with the guy I was going to have build my motor for my last cobra... I told him originally I just wanted a run of the mill 600-700 rwhp cobra... He quotes me 16k for a completely over built motor... I said I cant do that and he the professionalism went completely out the window. Nice guy, super knowledgeable and a great reputation, but sorry I didn't want to spend 16k on a motor for a car i put less than 1k miles on a year.

Hopefully you find someone relatively close and good! I'm building my next one by myself. I still have all the parts from the one i mentioned above, so I'll just pick at it a little bit at a time.

16. 94slowbra1

Small update: block is almost perfect and crank is fine. Have a local guy is is going to do my machine work and assemble the shortblock. Told him I wanted to use my parts.
    With that being said I need bearings. Standard size on everything so far. So which king bearings do I need for my teksid with Kellogg crank and factory svt rods? From what have read I want the SI series but what part number. There are 4 part numbers for king si series bearings for standard size cranks

17. coposrv

coposrv Well-Known Member Established Member

I’d let the machinist/assembler handle the bearing selection. If anything happens and you’re supplying parts he has an out.

Not sure on the different part numbers. Can you share a link? Might be std, .001 extra and .001 tighter clearance?

Whoops. I re-read. I thought you were looking for mains only.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  18. phil a

phil a Member Established Member

These are what I’ll be using for the same STD size application. I ordered two sets of mains, using only one from the MB5219 set in order to ‘make’ a one-piece rear main bearing. This was discussed on another site and it sounds like a good idea to do while you’re doing everything else.

Attached Files:

4sdvenom likes this.
  19. 4sdvenom

How long ago did you purchase your MB5219 bearing set? I know some were having issues locating them not to long ago. I already have mine but thought about picking up another set or 2 for future builds. Especially if they’re possibly going to be discontinued.
    Thanks
    Ken

20. phil a

phil a Member Established Member

Within the past few weeks, maybe a month tops? eBay!