Going deer hunting for the first time...Need advice

tdschst

Established Member
Ok so I'll be going deer hunting in Illinois the weekend of Nov. 18, need some advice on stuff I need to get. I'm going with a few friends and their dads. All but 3(including me) have hunted before. There's 7 going. I'll be using my Browning A5. My buddy that I'm going hunting with recommended me to get Real Tree camo instead of Mossy Oak because MO has too much black, he also said the RT will disguise my outline more too.

I'm thinking about picking up this tree stand this week
Bearcat Xl Fixed Position Tree Stand at Menards

Mainly I'm looking to find out what I need and what I need to know. Do I need to have a knife with me? I heard I should field dress it there. Any things you guys would recommend would help a lot.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Definitely pick up a knife. You'll need it if you plan on killing anything. You dont need to spend alot of money on one though. For less than $30 you should be able to get a decent buck knife at walmart or dicks sporting goods. How's the weather suppose to be? A good pair of boots is a must. Wouldn't hurt to have some binoculars either. Do you plan on hunting alot in the future or is this a one time deal?

tdschst

Established Member
Been wanting to do it for quite some time but this is the first chance I've gotten, just got my FOID and gun. As of right now I'll be going the weekend before Thanksgiving and the weekend after. Supposed to go late season too but not sure when. Do I need a specific type of knife? I was talking with my other friend that's going for the first time and he said he got a knife. Kind of an oh s*** do I need a knife moment, wasn't expecting to need one. I was also told I want to trace the back of the front leg up to mid chest and that's where I want to shoot

Blackedout

Established Member
Small flash light- COMPASS- matches or lighter.. Dont forget the ammo...

PressurEngr

Established Member
Bring a sidearm.
Gun sighted in for the yardage you will be shooting?
Color pattern on cammo doesnt matter as much as how you and your clothes smell. Bring anything you think will make you feel comfortable, such as a cushion, as you will be sitting for hours.
Let the killing begin...good luck

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
I've never used camo. It's not as important when firearm hunting than when you are archery hunting.

Also, why are you using a shotgun? How far out do you plan on shooting?

venomouscobra98

Established Member
Good pair or boots, good knife dont get a cheap one, and a hatchet and a hammer to break the rear pelvis of the deer open when you gut it. Gut it from the lower part of the breast bone all the way to the butt hole, split the pelvis open and cut around the butt hole and just pull all of the guts out at once.I dont beleave in scent remover but some people do. I shoot a Thompson Center Oncor Pro Hunter .270 caliber its only a single shot but thats all you need lol!

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Breath through your mouth, not your nose, when field dressing the deer.:xpl:

venomouscobra98

Established Member
Oh ya a pair of rubber gloves to gut the deer, make sure you dont have any open cuts for the deers blood to get into. I had a freind get really sick from a deer that had cronic wasting disease.

tdschst

Established Member
Small flash light- COMPASS- matches or lighter.. Dont forget the ammo...

I am going to bring a headset with LEDs. I was planning on keeping my phone on me (on silent), it has GPS. What are matches/lighter for?

Bring a sidearm.
Gun sighted in for the yardage you will be shooting?
Color pattern on cammo doesnt matter as much as how you and your clothes smell. Bring anything you think will make you feel comfortable, such as a cushion, as you will be sitting for hours.
Let the killing begin...good luck

I will have to sight in my gun but is it necessary to use a scope? on a shot gun? I don't plan on shooting from a few hundred yards away. I would rather take a kill shot than a shot that will injure the deer and me not be able to find it, I'd hate to have it suffer a slow death like that would do.

I've never used camo. It's not as important when firearm hunting than when you are archery hunting.

Also, why are you using a shotgun? How far out do you plan on shooting?

Illinois you have to use shotgun, no rifle.

Good pair or boots, good knife dont get a cheap one, and a hatchet and a hammer to break the rear pelvis of the deer open when you gut it. Gut it from the lower part of the breast bone all the way to the butt hole, split the pelvis open and cut around the butt hole and just pull all of the guts out at once.I dont beleave in scent remover but some people do. I shoot a Thompson Center Oncor Pro Hunter .270 caliber its only a single shot but thats all you need lol!

I was going to go to Cabela's and talk to them to get a good pair of boots. Looking to spend $75-125 on boots. Worse comes to worse I would use my work boots. I'm hoping my buddy or his dad would help me with gutting. If not, what do you do with what you pull out? Leave it there? Will other animals take care of it? I was told I should put my clothes in a trash bag with acorns, leaves, and such for a week before I go hunting. I've also read I should put them in a cedar box but I don't know where I'd find one at.

Oh ya a pair of rubber gloves to gut the deer, make sure you dont have any open cuts for the deers blood to get into. I had a freind get really sick from a deer that had cronic wasting disease.

Not a bad idea. Never thought of that.

Don't cut yourself when gutting the deer. My brother did that.

Also, gloves are for pansies.

lol

This. If you're afraid of getting blood on you, you shouldn't be killing anything.

Bring some tissues. Your nose always wants to run when you don't bring any haha

Never had a problem with blood. I'll make sure to bring tissues :beer:

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
I will have to sight in my gun but is it necessary to use a scope? on a shot gun? I don't plan on shooting from a few hundred yards away. I would rather take a kill shot than a shot that will injure the deer and me not be able to find it, I'd hate to have it suffer a slow death like that would do.

A scope is almost always useful.

>50 yards = Scope.

<50 yards = Your choice, but I'd go no scope, assuming your shotgun has iron sights.

Illinois you have to use shotgun, no rifle.

WTF? Why? Is Illinois against accuracy or something (not that shotguns aren't accurate, just not as accurate).

DE07GT

Established Member

Don't put a scope on a shotgun. It'll just get in the way and end up being a hassle. Anything in actual range can be shot using normal sights. As long as you have binoculars, you basically have no reason to put one on.

DE07GT

Established Member

>50 yards = Scope.

<50 yards = Your choice, but I'd go no scope, assuming your shotgun has iron sights.

WTF? Why? Is Illinois against accuracy or something (not that shotguns aren't accurate, just not as accurate).

50 yards isn't really that far. I've shot a boar at 125 with normal sights with no problem and I would say I'm an average shooter. If it was my first time out I'd plan on shooting something closer anyway.

Rifles are illegal for deer hunting in Delaware too. Kind of stupid considering most of the state isn't densely populated and that .50 Cal muzzleloaders are legal during the specific season.

Last edited:

scottminot

Established Member
Deer do cry sometimes when they're hit and laying there dying. My buddy went out for archery for his first time and shot a deer years ago and this happened.
He cried too and never went again.

tdschst

Established Member

>50 yards = Scope.

Illinois has the biggest BS laws. Still no CCW law (only LEOs can carry, on/off duty), and I'm sure there won't ever be. Also there can't be a gun range in Chicago limits.

SPEEDRACER88

I didn't pick your car
Established Member
Rifles are illegal for deer hunting in Delaware too. Kind of stupid considering most of the state isn't densely populated and that .50 Cal muzzleloaders are legal during the specific season.

It's the flatness... a bullet can go further than you can see

Users who are viewing this thread