Goin for it!!!

Badaz01

Established Member
Well folks as I’ve mentioned in other threads I was thinking of procharging my 01 cobra. Well I’m gonna go for it but before I have my shop do that install I’m gonna buy standard/stock bore forged pistons with the rods to match along with the rods arp hardware etc. if anyone has any advice or suggestions as what to be aware of it would be appropriated. Thanks

Badaz01

Established Member
This. Get it apart first and see what the machine shop says.
I already spoke with performance shop mechanic and from the forums on here I know right off the bat the rods and pistons gotta go for they are powdered metal. They claim 450 whp on those with good tune is safe. But I’d rather be safe than sorry.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I already spoke with performance shop mechanic and from the forums on here I know right off the bat the rods and pistons gotta go for they are powdered metal. They claim 450 whp on those with good tune is safe. But I’d rather be safe than sorry.
But you need to wait and get the block checked before you order things like pistons. You'll hate life if you order a set of stock bore pistons and end up needing a set that are .020" over.

Trust me, I know all about these engines. My last set up was a big bore stroker with an F1A in an 01 Cobra. So I know the suggested limits. I've been down the road you're going. So when I mention something it's usually from something I've done and/or screwed up.

I get you're excited, but you might want to take a breath and make sure you have a good plan in order.

Oh, and if the shop mechanic is telling you to order pistons before the engine is out of the car you might want to find a new shop.

Last edited:

Badaz01

Established Member
But you need to wait and get the block checked before you order things like pistons. You'll hate life if you order a set of stock bore pistons and end up needing a set that are .020" over.

Trust me, I know all about these engines. My last set up was a big bore stroker with an F1A in an 01 Cobra. So I know the suggested limits. I've been down the road you're going. So when I mention something it's usually from something I've done and/or screwed up.

I get you're excited, but you might want to take a breath and make sure you have a good plan in order.

Oh, and if the shop mechanic is telling you to order pistons before the engine is out of the car you might want to find a new shop.
No he didn’t tell me to order he told me my current internals are cast that all. Definitely gonna see what’s going on inside the motor you never know I could have scoured walls that need honed as you mentioned. If that would be the case would you recommend a stroker 5.0 or something along those lines?

01yellercobra

Established Member
If you end up needing a crank I would say get a stroker set up. But if the current crank is good then throw in some rods and pistons and send it.

Badaz01

Established Member
If you end up needing a crank I would say get a stroker set up. But if the current crank is good then throw in some rods and pistons and send it.
Just spoke to my mechanic and he quoted me for a D-1SC 3 core intercooler boost a pump and 42 lb. injectors 9000 out the door. I think I may go this way for now and keep it below 8 psi and in the meantime save for a building the motor. He said the car can be tuned conservative and we can land in the ball park if 400-450 to the wheels and be fairly safe on the stock bottom end.

01yellercobra

Established Member
JMO...

I'm not a fan of the BAP. What's the cost of a 340 pump compared to the BAP? I'm pretty sure they fit in the stock hat. I'd go 60's over the 42's. Unless you plan on running E85 in the future you won't ever outgrow them. Plus with the 60's you won't need adapters to work with the harness.

Badaz01

Established Member
JMO...

I'm not a fan of the BAP. What's the cost of a 340 pump compared to the BAP? I'm pretty sure they fit in the stock hat. I'd go 60's over the 42's. Unless you plan on running E85 in the future you won't ever outgrow them. Plus with the 60's you won't need adapters to work with the harness.
I have a DW340 in tank pump already in. Put in last year. BAP is probably over kill but I just want to make sure pump is running 100%. Just want this thing to be as reliable as possible. IDK I may be crazy for boosting a stock block 01 cobra but hopefully it’ll get me through the summer then next winter I hope to go forged.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a DW340 in tank pump already in. Put in last year. BAP is probably over kill but I just want to make sure pump is running 100%. Just want this thing to be as reliable as possible. IDK I may be crazy for boosting a stock block 01 cobra but hopefully it’ll get me through the summer then next winter I hope to go forged.

You're going to be fine. Many here have done it. Its nothing new. The platform is 20 years old now.

Also, I would save some scratch and tackle the centri install yourself. Its pretty straight forward. JMO

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'd skip the BAP then. That pump will be plenty for what you're doing.

And as mentioned, install it yourself. It'll probably take a weekend to do.

Badaz01

Established Member
I wonder if those electric cars will be as reliable as the windmills in Texas. When those cars have their half hour of glory then run dead as we know batteries only weaken the moment they are put in service until they expire we who have gas engine vehicles can be refilled and back to pounding the pavement in 5 minutes lol. But as for being happy with what I have I’ve thought of that as well. IDK just want don’t really need the power. And for the most part just want to build a bad ass 01 cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread