GM's Lightning Killer

temjin9876

Bringer of Destruction!
Established Member
its not out yet? I have seen like 5 of these fairly recently on the street. I even think they are at the chevy lot near me. Wierd

nj7703

Established Member
That is the stripped down, non extended cab, RWD version of the SS. The AWD, extended cab SS is out now.

showtm490

Established Member
the 4 door version is out. there are several on the lot here but who whats to pay $40,000 for one.

temjin9876

Bringer of Destruction!
Established Member
oooh okay I get it. Geez what a pussed out "lightning killer."

A stock lightning could wipe its ass with the stripped down "more powerful" SS concept.

zzzzzer

Livin' Life Roush-less :(
Established Member
I saw on Car & Driver TV that GM opted not to go w/ forced induction to keep the SS a year-round vehicle. They commented that the Bolt and SRT-10 are trucks you'd think twice about taking on an icy road. The claim is that the SS w/ its AWD and usable year-round power is a better truck w/out the S/C or turbo. :shrug:

I saw a blue one at the Chevy dealership and I gotta admit -- its a pretty darn nice truck (especially the interior). Still, that new Lightning is completely sick (styling and power). I'm liking 'em both. :)

nj7703

Established Member
Chevy went for the "day to day" usage of a truck, hauling, pulling, and a bit more pep, dumb idea!

showtm490

Established Member
The look of the truck has grown on me but the power.....nope, not near enough. To GM :bash: Don't be afraid to make something faster than the vette.

SNK BITN

Established Member
And you wouldnt think twice with a 400HP n/a motor? At least the L can stay out of boost in icy conditions.

nj7703

Established Member
Did'nt they build the Typhoon? that was AWD and kicked ass for it's day. It was the small truck but still, they are so caught up in what people DON'T want, it is amazing.

showtm490

Established Member
I saw that C&D too. Its a great looking truck in blue or black. The dealer here has had them for over a month though now. The ford dealer across the street sales their lightnings quick.

zzzzzer

Established Member
SNK, unless its a Zambonie (sp?) I'd think twice about driving anything on ice...lol :-D I'm from the South -- I stay home when roads become good for figure skating and hockey. :thumbsup:

nj7703

Established Member
The lines are not bad for sure. Competition can only make the trucks better.

showtm490

Established Member
My buddy in high school had a typhoon. That was a bad ride to own at the time and only being 16. From a dead stand still it was bad. He'd hold the brakes until the turbo spooled up and once he let of the brakes you were pinned back to the seat. After ragging it out he traded it on a BMW M3. Lucky kid.

nj7703

Established Member
Originally posted by showtm490
My buddy in high school had a typhoon. That was a bad ride to own at the time and only being 16. From a dead stand still it was bad. He'd hold the brakes until the turbo spooled up and once he let of the brakes you were pinned back to the seat. After ragging it out he traded it on a BMW M3. Lucky kid.

A friend of mine at the time had an 89 T/A and got pissed on by a typhoon, was so funny.. haha

zzzzzer

Established Member
The Typhoon was pretty darn amazing. You can still find a few in great condition in The Dupont Registry. I thought sure there was someone at SVTP who has one. :shrug: Could be wrong but I remember seeing the paperwork they scanned in.

showtm490

Established Member
I made a mistake back in 1999. A guy had a 1986 Grand National for sale. He wanted to trade me my 90 Mustang GT even for it. After I drove it, I noticed it was slow for what it was. Plus the guy said it had a new turbo on it. It had 160,000 miles on it, so I left it. Well a girl bought it and it died on her after 500 miles. So she sold it cheap. A guy then bought it. He found the problem. Get this, the reason it was slow and died was because the exhaust was stopped up from sitting over a year. It's running great now. The last I heard it was running mid 12's. :bash:

Last edited:

nj7703

Established Member
Originally posted by showtm490
I made a mistake back in 1999. A guy had a 1986 Grand National for sale. He wanted to trade me my 90 Mustang GT even for it. After I drove it, I noticed it was slow for what it was. Plus the guy said it had a new turbo on it. It had 160,000 miles on it, so I left it. Well a girl bought it and it died on her after 500 miles. So she sold it cheap. A guy then bought it. He found the problem. Get this, the reason it was slow and died was because the exhaust was stopped up from sitting over a year. It's running great now. The last I heard it was running mid 12's. :bash:

DAMN!!! the cats clogged??? Wow, who would have thought? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread