Glenn's Performance 1995 Cobra R Tanks

filthymcnasty

Established Member
Hello,

Does anyone know if Glenn's Performance is still making tanks for the 1995 Cobra R? Didn't see anything listed on their website.

Sent them an email, but didn't hear back.

Thanks in advance!

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
There was a last-time group purchase over a year ago, as I recall. At the time, he said he wasn't going to build them ever again. I'm sure the right amount of money or orders may change his mind.

I've ordered a few of them and he was always stand-up to work with.

As an alternative, Fuel Safe does make a poly version of the 95R cell. I'm not sure the cost, but I've heard it is a direct swap. But plastic, not aluminum on the outside. Otherwise, you can get a new bladder and that is about $3K now.

If anyone has different info, I'd be interested in hearing it.

Tom

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
YES as of about a year ago (I got one). Call him. He does not seem like a "tech guy" so things like an up to date website, and e-mail do not seem like priorities. Via the phone, I confirmed he still made them and was able to buy a tank for a 95R.

filthymcnasty

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies! Shame he doesn't make them regularly anymore, but it's my fault for not pulling the trigger long ago.

Sounds like there maybe two if I could convince him to make a couple more.

If not, poly version might be next best thing.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Thanks for all the replies! Shame he doesn't make them regularly anymore, but it's my fault for not pulling the trigger long ago.

Sounds like there maybe two if I could convince him to make a couple more.

If not, poly version might be next best thing.
No I think you mis understood my post, I bought one in the last year or so ago, and talked to him about the rumor that he didnt. He said, I absolutely make em. Im guessing he makes pretty much everything to order.

Again, call, that will be the best plan. AND BTW they look perfect. You would NEVER know it no longer had a bladder.

filthymcnasty

Established Member
No I think you mis understood my post, I bought one in the last year or so ago, and talked to him about the rumor that he didnt. He said, I absolutely make em. Im guessing he makes pretty much everything to order.

Again, call, that will be the best plan. AND BTW they look perfect. You would NEVER know it no longer had a bladder.
Ah, trackin' now!

In that case, I will definitely give him a call on Monday!

Thanks for the heads up.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I'll say this about these tanks, you don't have much of a choice if he agrees and he can charge darn near what he wants. I you own an R with a fuel cell the bladder WILL LEAK. It is just a matter of when. I was genuinely shocked when more owners didn't buy on that group purchase. I just checked and a new cell is $4K. And I didn't see the poly version advertised anywhere on Fuel Safe's website. That tank is critical for the look of an R. So it's big bucks for a cell or swap to a street tank.

Tom

filthymcnasty

Established Member
I'll say this about these tanks, you don't have much of a choice if he agrees and he can charge darn near what he wants. I you own an R with a fuel cell the bladder WILL LEAK. It is just a matter of when. I was genuinely shocked when more owners didn't buy on that group purchase. I just checked and a new cell is $4K. And I didn't see the poly version advertised anywhere on Fuel Safe's website. That tank is critical for the look of an R. So it's big bucks for a cell or swap to a street tank.

Tom
Yep, I've owned mine since 2008 and it still has 133 miles on it. The bladder went shortly after I bought it and I just put a regular tank in it to move it around my storage area.

I think the 1995 R's are finally getting the appreciation ($$$$) that I always expected it to have. So, I can justify the money for a look-a-like tank.

If I have to pay insane money (and the Fuelsafe options are insane money), I'll just keep the stock tank in it, but if the Glenn's option doesn't break the bank, I think the money is justified at this point, even for a car that just sits.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I can not remember exactly, but I think it was something like $800.

You will need to get shorter bolts for all of the "hats". I found exact ones (yellow chromate) at Mcmaster Carr. I was able to reuse most of the gaskets, but had to make one that tore during disassembly.

filthymcnasty

Established Member
I can not remember exactly, but I think it was something like $800.

You will need to get shorter bolts for all of the "hats". I found exact ones (yellow chromate) at Mcmaster Carr. I was able to reuse most of the gaskets, but had to make one that tore during disassembly.
That's good info on the bolts. I made my own replacement gaskets (Fuelsafe charges $110 for a set).

I remember the prices on his site from way back when, although that was pre-2020s. It'll be interesting to see what he wants now, if he will even agree to build any more.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Found when I got it, June of 2022, that was the second one I got, was ~$1200. He will build em.

Last edited:

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
^^^ Even if that were to be the case, the expected service life is only 10 years for a bladder (yes its taken 20 for most to leak). I wanted a permanent fix.

@filthymcnasty were you able to reach glenn?​

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
I was genuinely shocked when more owners didn't buy on that group purchase.
I understand why you'd be surprised when more people didn't jump on that...however in my particular case that giant cell drags on just about everything in my area, that was how it bit the dust years ago...the asphalt eventually scraped a hole in a corner and it began leaking (fun, fun). Paying big money to put another cell in for looks wouldn't have made much sense. Installing just a factory tank was a no brainer since I don't need the capacity for endurance events...and it was way, way, way less expensive. I kept the original tank for a static display, if the car makes it that far.

filthymcnasty

Established Member
^^^ Even if that were to be the case, the expected service life is only 10 years for a bladder (yes its taken 20 for most to leak). I wanted a permanent fix.

@filthymcnasty were you able to reach glenn?​

No, I've called multiple times over several weeks and no answer. Not sure if he's out of business, going out of business or has some personal circumstance that is taking him out of the shop.

I'm going to get some info on this one from Fuel Safe and see if it's a viable option. Other than the Fuel Safe callout on it, it appears to be about the same thing as the metal can. I just need to make sure it's not something that has to be replaced every 10 years....

filthymcnasty

Established Member
UPDATE:

I talked Fuel Safe today and it sounds like the Enduro cell (SA110C) is the next best thing to the Glenn's Performance option (if not a better option depending on how you look at it).

Tech rep stated that the rotomolded construction is install ready and that it should outlast the life of the car (ie. no need to replace a bladder every 10 years). I asked if it is ok to remove the foam for street driving so that is one less thing to worry about checking every few years and he stated that removal is no problem for street use.

So, at least we now have a cheaper option than replacing a bladder. Additionally, you can say that it is an actual/certified racing fuel cell made by the same manufacturer as the original. I might even go so far as to say that leaving the FuelSafe script on it could be a positive.

Lastly, best price I've seen so far is from here for $1550:

I'm wondering if they might be able to do better if I can get a group of 10 or so that would commit to a purchase.

Thoughts from the field?

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I might even go so far as to say that leaving the FuelSafe script on it could be a positive.
Funny, I was thinking that this would go IMMEDIATELY.

Looks like a great option, but close inspection it will look different that the shell of the bladder (the plastic has a texture and obviously does not have metal welds). BUT waaaaay better than a stock tank.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
UPDATE:

I talked Fuel Safe today and it sounds like the Enduro cell (SA110C) is the next best thing to the Glenn's Performance option (if not a better option depending on how you look at it).

Tech rep stated that the rotomolded construction is install ready and that it should outlast the life of the car (ie. no need to replace a bladder every 10 years). I asked if it is ok to remove the foam for street driving so that is one less thing to worry about checking every few years and he stated that removal is no problem for street use.

So, at least we now have a cheaper option than replacing a bladder. Additionally, you can say that it is an actual/certified racing fuel cell made by the same manufacturer as the original. I might even go so far as to say that leaving the FuelSafe script on it could be a positive.

Lastly, best price I've seen so far is from here for $1550:

I'm wondering if they might be able to do better if I can get a group of 10 or so that would commit to a purchase.

Thoughts from the field?

This sounds like a viable alternative. It's way cheaper than a bladder rebuild and more legitimate than going to a street tank.

Sending you a PM about the ebay conversation we're having.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread