Glass Roof add on???

stutter

eat me
Established Member
Ok so I just ordered and received my 2014 and I got all the upgrades, except one. I really regret not getting the glass roof.:bash:...does anyone know if my ford dealer will install the glass roof EVEN though I have my car and it is not installed in the factory??:poke:

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
If the dealer has a body shop they will usually do it. Very expensive. I believe the total cost is about $4500 installed.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I'd also be worried if they could install it as effectively as if it was already built with the glass roof in mind. I don't know if it makes a difference, I just have nightmares when thinking about a sunroof or whatever being added after the fact. I'd be afraid of leaks.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Honestly... I would just look at it as a loss and move on. I wouldn't let anyone cut the roof and do an aftermarket one.

reason4treason

Established Member
i asked a Ford dealership with a body shop this question last summer. they wouldn't do it. said they couldn't predict whether there would be problems during the install or not as well as afterwards and they did not want to risk being liable for that.

maybe you'll luck out and find one though if that's what you want and you contact enough shops. then again, there's the issue of how far you are willing to travel, all of which adds up to even more money that may well make it just not worth your trouble to go that route.

Husky44

Established Member
No cutting involved. In actuality, if you're bold enough to handle a piece of glass that big, you could do it yourself.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Husky44 said:
No cutting involved. In actuality, if you're bold enough to handle a piece of glass that big, you could do it yourself.

When I said "cut" I was alluding to the fact that the factory seal would be broken.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I'd also be worried if they could install it as effectively as if it was already built with the glass roof in mind. I don't know if it makes a difference, I just have nightmares when thinking about a sunroof or whatever being added after the fact. I'd be afraid of leaks.
Honestly... I would just look at it as a loss and move on. I wouldn't let anyone cut the roof and do an aftermarket one.

x3.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Guess everyone is entitled to an opinion. :rollseyes

Yep and in mine the glass roof makes this car so unique and exclusive, it was a must have option. I do not have hardcore competition planned for mine so it makes sense to me.
OP you may want to contact CDC (classic design concepts) as they were the original company doing glass roof conversions on mustangs. I would be VERY concerned with having only a highly experienced shop attempt this.
Good luck let us know what you find.
-J

smrtasp

Established Member
I'm still researching this for my car. I had commented in another post that at some point the glass roof could crack and have to be replaced. Given the modular design of the roof, there should not be much more to pulling the steel roof and putting the glass one in place - same as just replacing a damaged glass roof. It will cost more to do it afterwards and from my research about 2900 in parts from Toulsey Ford where they can be had for a little bit of a discount. This includes the interior parts and the shade.

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
I know 3 people that have had it installed after the fact. 2 of them were perfectly happy and had no problems. 1 still has a leak that they can't track down after reinstalling it twice. All were done by the same dealer.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
So glad I got the glass roof! The safety and rigidity of a hardtop with the open air feel of a vert. Definitely don't let a regular shop do the conversion, if I wanted one converted I'd send to CDC as suggested by Bimini.

Users who are viewing this thread