Given the other guys ticket!!

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
So I was going home when a brand new Bentley GT pulls up, long story short we get a pull in and get stopped. Cops awesome only give me a 64 in a 45. When I get home I look at the ticket and it's got the Bentley owners information on it? I had a written warning for no front plate with correct info but the actual ticket is the other guys. So I called the office and got a hold of the officer, he said he needs to have me sign another copy tomorrow. Is there recourse for dismissal or am I going to have to take it?

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
So apparently the other individual signed my ticket, and I signed for his, when he went to scan my signature in it wouldn't scan. I have no problem paying the 181$ but if I can get it dismissed I would, as would anyone I'm sure.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
The officer is allowed to correct simple mistakes. You will have to take the new citation.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
But since I never technically received a citation in my name, wouldn't that void the ticket?

crystalwhitesvt

whitesnake
Established Member
You stated above the cop was awesome and only ticketed you for 64 in a 45. Now you are trying to weasel your way out of the ticket all together. The last person I read about in the Donut Shop that tried something similar got the full monty.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
But since I never technically received a citation in my name, wouldn't that void the ticket?

I think the officer will likely realize his mistake at some point and contact you and the other party. Unfortunately for you, simple clerical mistakes on the officer's part aren't grounds for dismissal of the charge.

You stated above the cop was awesome and only ticketed you for 64 in a 45. Now you are trying to weasel your way out of the ticket all together. The last person I read about in the Donut Shop that tried something similar got the full monty.

Not really a constructive post, not not really far enough off to do anything about. If you have advice for the OP, we are glad to hear it. He may be TRYING to weasel out of it, but his question certainly is a valid question to ask.

Last edited:

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
Update: I contacted the local state .patrol sergeant because I didn't have the officers #. Well the officer stopped by my house and since I took the iinitiative to call and correct the mistake he lowered my speed from 64 in a 45 to 55 which dropped the price by 65$ and made it a non moving violation! Sometimes doing the right thing does pay.

cj428mach

Established Member
Update: I contacted the local state .patrol sergeant because I didn't have the officers #. Well the officer stopped by my house and since I took the iinitiative to call and correct the mistake he lowered my speed from 64 in a 45 to 55 which dropped the price by 65$ and made it a non moving violation! Sometimes doing the right thing does pay.

Glad it worked out for you.

I've never understood why its ok for a cop to "adjust" the ticket. You'd think that would be an extremely important to remain the integrity of the job and that it would be something an officer would be fired for in a spit second.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Glad it worked out for you.

I've never understood why its ok for a cop to "adjust" the ticket. You'd think that would be an extremely important to remain the integrity of the job and that it would be something an officer would be fired for in a spit second.

it's called officers discretion. when you deal with assholes all day it is nice to find a guy that does the right thing so you cut him a break.

Users who are viewing this thread