Give me suggestions for a QUIETER muffler.

bunny_power

Snugs has da powah!
Established Member
Just got my first LOUD MUFFLER ticket :rollseyes, so I think it may be time for a change.

Right now I've got a flowtech O/R X and an M55 catback. It is painfully loud over 3500rpm (and I mean ear splitting even with the windows up), so I'm looking to swap out the M55 mufflers for something that will give me a more driveable sound without compromising power.

I'm thinking either magnaflow or flowmaster (not the 1 chambers). Anybody got any ideas what might tame this thing down? :shrug:

JWC

Established Member
I run the Flowmaster two chamber with Bassani X w/cats and its pretty loud, but no noise police around thank goodness. You may want to consider the Bassani cat back.

rezcobra

Established Member
I have all Bassani except for the headers and when I need to tone it down I insert the baffles that I wrapped tight with automotive fiber glass and it works good. Best of both worlds with out changing the whole exhaust system.

bunny_power

Snugs has da powah!
Established Member
The M55 has 3" tips, so I think the baffle idea is out. :(

I'm not going to swap out the whole catback since the one I've got just clamps together so its much easier just to switch mufflers.

bunny_power

Snugs has da powah!
Established Member
Bump for any more ideas. I'm thinking about getting a 2.5" piece of tube and wrapping it in steel wool to make my own end baffle might help too. Anybody had to do something like that?

bsmith9165

Established Member
Flowmaster delta 40s. Nice rumble at idle and you can actually talk to someone while driving the car

Terminator

Established Member
Originally posted by bunny_power
...don't think you can buy the FR500 mufflers seperately...

I'm pretty sure u can get the FR500 separately.
When I find the link I'll post it

Terminator

Established Member
The price listed is incorrect, I hope!

EDIT: Price includes both mufflers.

Last edited:

bunny_power

Snugs has da powah!
Established Member
Thanks for the link Terminator, but that price is... ummm, how to put it...

$644 US is like $10,000,000 CDN.... so that's not really an option. :(

I think the magnaflows would still be quite loud with the O/R X, so I'm looking at a Delta 40 (or whatever else you guys can think of), or trying to find some 3" O/D silencers that I can cram into the tail pipes to make it respectable for daily driving, but that I can remove when I want to go scare babies. :burnout:

bunny_power

Snugs has da powah!
Established Member
Cool, thanks. So only $5,000,000 CDN for the pair. :)

I just called partsource and they've got a pair of 3" O/D silencers in stock so I'm going to go see what they're like today. Its not that my system sounds bad, its just that its incredibly LOUD!

67scstang

SVT
Established Member
I have had Flowmasters, SpinTech, Magnaflow and Vortex mufflers a total of 3 Mustangs. On my 2000 I had Magnaflow catback and xpipe. I did not think that they were that loud for everyday driving. My buddy had a 01 Gt with a Flowmaster catback with an aftermarket h-pipe and he was much louder inside and outside the car.
Now on my 04 Cobra that is a daily driver, I just put the Magnaflow catback and love the sound. The sound inside the cabin is not bad at all. I do not belive that it is loud enough to get a ticket and the police out here are a pain.
I also ended up putting magnaflows on my 67 mustang with no cats and a supercharged 5.0. It is loud but no were near what it was with the Spintech, Vortex or Flowmasters. I know Dynomax makes some quite mufflers as well.
Hope this might help.

Last edited:

orange2004cobra

Established Member
Before I swapped to my 2 chmbr flows, my off road x with stock cat back sounded kind of exotic..
Just a thought..
L.

bunny_power

Snugs has da powah!
Established Member
Originally posted by orange2004cobra
Before I swapped to my 2 chmbr flows, my off road x with stock cat back sounded kind of exotic..
Just a thought..
L.

That's what my wife wants me to do. Just swap the stock catback back on and leave it alone. :(

But, since I'm an engineer and we can never leave safe, fully functional machines alone I'm looking at the possibility of adapting a motorcycle muffler core for use as a silencer. If nothing else this should be interesting. :)

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Magnapacks with an o/r pipe.... j/k 3 chamber flows are pretty friggin quiet if you ask me...

florida03

Banned
No brainer.
Borla/Steeda catback is prob the best quietest
muffler out there. Do yourself a favor and try to get a sound
clip and check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread