Give me some insight

sixt5

Established Member
im currently 17 (18 in june) and will be purchasing a car here in abuot a year and a half or so. i was going to be set on a 99+ mustang gt, but the thought of a marauder came to mind. doesnt the Marauder's have the mach 1 engine, or real similar? how is the aftermarket for these cars, such as catback, intake, tunes, ect? most of them i can find around here are kind of high mileage (45k+) anything to worry about?

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Only the intake is switched from Driverside to Pass side and the Shaker hood other then that its 100% the same inside and out other then the MachI 5 speeds get a 7500 RPM limit and a forged crank over the cast type for the Auto Machs and Rauders.

Silverstrike

Established Member
JDM on here and almost anyone that does Mach I's and the Pre S/C Cobras can do tuning work. Finally found a place that well put my Bassani exhaust on. Just a little customizing and it well fit the only major part is the steering linkage get around that and it well fit.

sixt5

Established Member
how do the hold up against other "spirited drivers" ? can they hold their own? the reason i like it is cause it has a sleeper look to it. 300 horses out of a crown vic type car.

hows insurance?

jstevens

Established Member
Insurance isn't too bad. Just a tad different than my Chev Venture minivan.

As far as keeping up with others, you will have no problems. Just do a chip and 4.10's.

I added chip/4.10's/K & N CAI.
Plus 100 shot dry nos=350rwhp/437rwtq.

Last edited:

Tallboy

Say "When"...
Established Member
sixt5 said:
how do the hold up against other "spirited drivers" ? can they hold their own? the reason i like it is cause it has a sleeper look to it. 300 horses out of a crown vic type car.

hows insurance?

A better tune is a must. 4:10s are a great idea. The difference between a bone stock car and one with these two mods is amazing.

2ndMDRebel

Established Member
sixt5 said:
hows insurance?

My wife is the primary driver for our Marauder and they jacked the insurance to $830/6months which is substantially higher than the Crown Vic which cost $468/6months. We have completely clean records too, go figure.

DJP

Established Member
It still amazes me that a lot of young guys really like this car. I've got so many compliments from young people driving in pimped out mucho bucks Land Cuisers to moddified GT's, Cobra's, and Chargers, all giving me the thumbs up.

Beemers,and Benzes, well there nice but they never get the parking lot attendant to
ask you "what's in this thing"? Admiration from a guy that drives them all says a lot to me.

The Marauder stock is a decent cruiser. Add some 4.10's, pullies, exhaust and tune (pick your tuner carefully) and you've got a nice 1/4 miler and GREAT cruiser.

Supercharge it and move to the head of the class, all at the fraction of the cost of those European imports.

Silverstrike

Established Member
sixt5 said:

hows insurance?

Now all I got on mine so far
Ramair/4.10/chip/BBK 65mm TB

This is what I've been able to take

Audi A6 2.7T
BMW 318i/325/525/540/and an Z3 M
Chevy 94 Impalla/2004 SS Impalla/and a 1990 Vette
MB brand new E500 :D and a 2000 SLK

Theres a few others but it gives you an idea of what a Rauder is capable of.

Smokie

Established Member
sixt5 said:
im currently 17 (18 in june) and will be purchasing a car here in abuot a year and a half or so. i was going to be set on a 99+ mustang gt, but the thought of a marauder came to mind. doesnt the Marauder's have the mach 1 engine, or real similar? how is the aftermarket for these cars, such as catback, intake, tunes, ect? most of them i can find around here are kind of high mileage (45k+) anything to worry about?

45k is low mileage for a panther plattform, how it was maintained is far more important. check out mm.net when you are ready to buy, plenty of aftermarket. :-D

mpearce

NATCA Member
Established Member
tallboy said:
A better tune is a must. 4:10s are a great idea. The difference between a bone stock car and one with these two mods is amazing.

True.

My best bone stock, no mod run was 15.19 @ 93
My best run with a chip and 4.10's only was 14.23 @ 97

Thats a .96 gain. Almost 1 full second.
And a full 4 mph gain through the traps.

Car was night / day after I got it back.

Hoping to get the same effects when I do my torque converter.

-Mat

epyon

Established Member
O.K , now the bad side of owning a Crown Vic or Marauder .

1.The 99 an up P-71 Vic's only do 140MPH
2.People allways get around your car and want to talk.
3.I can only get 18MPG as a daily driver on the highway at 80 to 125 MPH on the way to work .
4.I still can't catch that Hayabusa .
5.The only high performence wheels I can get are the ones on some pony car.

94_302

Established Member
For insurance make sure you get an 03, I have read that 03's are listed as Grand Marquis and 04's as Marauders. Being a young Marauder owner myself, this was very helpfull. Try to find an 03 that was not built in 02, I think it was the ones built in 02 that were more likely to have the axle tsb issue. I picked one up with 56k miles in august and had the axle tsb. Other than that it runs great, just make sure you look it over, look for signs of one being beaten on and avoid it. As far as mods don't expect it to be like a mustang. Mod's are a little expensive imo, but then again this is my first mod motor car, before this I had a 5.0 where you have more choices then you can imagine.

The Marauder has 3 supercharger kits available and 1 turbo kit.
Full exhaust you have 3 options, 03/04 cobra manifold setup, kooks, or Stainless works. There is no mid pipe that will bolt into the stock manifolds and catback, but I think one can be fabbed.
Intakes you have 3 choices K&N, JLT, and PHP although if iirc the PHP is no longer made.
Other bolt ons include underdrives, php intake spacer, electric pump, gears, and t/b.
I think I have covered most of the basics for mods, but someone please correct me if I am wrong or missing anything.

One thing that you will find out is that when you get a Marauder you also get a great group of people. This is by far one of the greatest advantages to the car imo. It does not matter how young or old or whatever everyone is always very friendly and people are willing to help with anything you have going on. It was a surprise to me at first, but not only are you getting a hell of a car you are getting to meet and hang out with some great people. Oh and you don't need a Marauder to meet and hang out, www.mercurymarauder.net check it out. :-D

T'Cal

Established Member
jstevens said:
Insurance isn't too bad. Just a tad different than my Chev Venture minivan.

As far as keeping up with others, you will have no problems. Just do a chip and 4.10's.

I added chip/4.10's/K & N CAI.
Plus 100 shot dry nos=350rwhp/437rwtq.

I'm averaging 16 MPG on my daily-driver '03 300A that is stock save for a K&N filter (non-CAI). The best I've ever gotten on an extended trip was 22.5 MPG and that was driving as frugally as possible. At $3.20/gallon for 93 octane premium, it's still somewhat managable. What kind of mileage were you getting with only the 4.10s and the chip? What about now with the NOS? Thanks!

MarauderMarc

Are you threatning me?!?!
Established Member
epyon said:
O.K , now the bad side of owning a Crown Vic or Marauder .

1.The 99 an up P-71 Vic's only do 140MPH
2.People allways get around your car and want to talk.
3.I can only get 18MPG as a daily driver on the highway at 80 to 125 MPH on the way to work .
4.I still can't catch that Hayabusa .
5.The only high performence wheels I can get are the ones on some pony car.

Youre complaining about the gas milage when you do 125 mph? Sorry, but thats to be ecpected.

There are many options for the Marauder. They keep coming as the months go by. Check out mercurymarauder.net, reinhartautomotive.com, and superchargemyride.com. That should get you started.

jstevens

Established Member
Mileage with the chip and 4.10's is not much different. I'm not sure as I'm mostly a lead foot.
Mileage with Nos is same as its only on when I arm it and hit it. So far, I'm impressed. Off the line the car is great.

epyon

Established Member
So sixty9 , did you find one for a good price. Guys at work that drive imports and don't like Fords still like the MARUARDER (and my car). Not many other cars in this sit could take on a Ford GT and hang .

Users who are viewing this thread