Give me some arguements!

Clipboard

Established Member
Ok, last Wednesday I took my 13 gt in to get the ring and pinion replaced because of gear whine on acceleration (I have had ford replace it once already I think the last tech didn't properly set pinion depth). As well as to get the tsb on the axle vent done.

1 week later I call ford to check in. apparently my car hasn't been touched since the Wednesday because they have been trying to get a hold of me before they do any work to let me know that because I had mods ( lowering springs, 1 pce ds, lca relo) that a Ford tech could probably sent my warranty.

I go ahead and tell him that they would have to prove that my mods were a direct cause of the failure. The service manager proceeds to say since I have racing tires (nitto invo's) and mods that they were checking to see if I was racing but need to do an inspection first.

So I need your guys help to make a few arguements if they try to deny my warranty. Let me also add that the faulty axle vent leaked out more than half of the diff fluid.

Argue pinion depth not set right
Axle vent burned up the gears
What else? I haven't raced the car since the last fix

chao5.0

Established Member
didn't realize Invo's were racing tires, what is considered a "racing tire"? what treadwear and compound? isn't Invo's treadwear 200 or better? that is considered a DOT approved street tire. they just don't want to pony up and they know they will have to prove the mods directly caused the problem which really I see nothing there (mod list) that can.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
I think you're on the right track. Stick to your guns and make them prove that something you did caused the failure. The MM Warranty Act also prohibits any kind of clause that demands a certain type of brand be used or that work be performed at a specific location regardless of what their warranty stipulates. So the SM mentioning your tires was him just grasping at straws.

If the dealer still plays hardball then go up the ladder and call the corporate office.

LOL @ racing tires.
:lol:

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
You may be sol with those mods they don't have to prove anything! You can fight it to the top the only thing you have going for you is that they replaced them before!

Jabooh1

Established Member
Actually they do have to prove that the modification was a direct result if the failure. For example they can not say the your transmission failure was caused by lowering springs. They can say that an engine failure was caused by tune.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
You may be sol with those mods they don't have to prove anything! You can fight it to the top the only thing you have going for you is that they replaced them before!

I think you're right. ^^^

OP you are going to have to prove the gears were bad. The dealer is not looking to do warrantee work. Totally different situation but I had one declined for peeling paint on my hood. I was within my time frame but over miles. They declined me due to the miles. If I put 50,000 on the car in a year, that doesn't cause posting to peel. But if it's 5-7 yrs old, ok thats possible.
They also stayed out was "environmental debris" aka birdshit which wasn't covered under warrantee. It was exclusively peeling on the hood. I asked "since when do birds shit only on hoods of cars. I appealed and got nowhere.
Sorry for the long post. Just trying to help you prepare for them trying to blue you off

Last edited:

hand-filer

Established Member
I've owned a few new vehicles: 2 Fords, 4 GM products and an Acura. By far the worst of the bunch is Ford for Warranty issues.
My factory ordered 2012 Focus Titanium was the biggest shit pile of them all. Jettisoned after 11 months of ownership.
Ford was of no help with any of the multitude of issues I had with the car.
The dealer I bought it from wouldn't even make me a trade-in offer on a new Escape, hence the Acura now in the stable.
Best of luck OP but don't get your hopes up.

Clipboard

Established Member

To deny warranty they would need to provide proof of me racing or that the mods had an effect on the part that went bad. Anyone know the spec ford calls for on pinion depth? Maybe I can argue that with the leaky axle vent leaking all the oil out?

chao5.0

Established Member
I think you're right. ^^^

OP you are going to have to prove the gears were bad. The dealer is not looking to do warrantee work. Totally different situation but I had one declined for peeling paint on my hood. I was within my time frame but over miles. They declined me due to the miles. If I put 50,000 on the car in a year, that doesn't cause posting to peel. But if it's 5-7 yrs old, ok thats possible.
They also stayed out was "environmental debris" aka birdshit which wasn't covered under warrantee. It was exclusively peeling on the hood. I asked "since when do birds shit only on hoods of cars. I appealed and got nowhere.
Sorry for the long post. Just trying to help you prepare for them trying to blue you off

you were out of warranty and that is why you were denied, the dealer was in its rights to do so due to miles. the OP however sounds like he is within those terms of warranty and if the dealer is grasping at straws by blaming the tires then they know they screwed up and are just trying to get out of warranty work. none of those mods would make a diff fail because none of them required the diff to be drained, not even the 1 piece driveshaft. now if the OP wanted struts and shocks replaced under warranty then I could see the dealer telling him to kick rocks with lowering springs.

OP I wouldn't start telling them what you think is the issue, don't tell them pinion depth probably wasn't set right. I would just stand firm and let them know the dealer has already replaced the gears once and the problem is still there. leave it up to them to diagnose the problem because if you start telling them what you think the problem is, that is all they will look for because that is what you said the problem is.

Last edited:

Big Q

Established Member
While I certainly don't agree with the dealer tactics I would probably take a cooler approach with them. Telling them they have to prove the mods caused the failure isn't going to want to make them do you any favors. Everyone wants to quote the MM act and say they can't do that, legally no they can't but that will be decided by a judge in court and expect to pay a premium to prove it.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
you were out of warranty and that is why you were denied, the dealer was in its rights to do so due to miles. the OP however sounds like he is within those terms of warranty and if the dealer is grasping at straws by blaming the tires then they know they screwed up and are just trying to get out of warranty work. none of those mods would make a diff fail because none of them required the diff to be drained, not even the 1 piece driveshaft. now if the OP wanted struts and shocks replaced under warranty then I could see the dealer telling him to kick rocks with lowering springs.

OP I wouldn't start telling them what you think is the issue, don't tell them pinion depth probably wasn't set right. I would just stand firm and let them know the dealer has already replaced the gears once and the problem is still there. leave it up to them to diagnose the problem because if you start telling them what you think the problem is, that is all they will look for because that is what you said the problem is.

I don't want to hijack but I will add this. I got an independent body shop to look at it and within 15 seconds, the guy said "oh the paint on the hood isn't original, that's why its flaking" Being the original owner I knew it wasn't me who had it painted. I went back tot he dealer, who basically said tough, but you can appeal to the Manufacturer, who also told me tough. I also contacted the BBB who did absolutely nothing. Long story short, be prepared to hear NO and be prepared to eat it.

chao5.0

Established Member
I don't want to hijack but I will add this. I got an independent body shop to look at it and within 15 seconds, the guy said "oh the paint on the hood isn't original, that's why its flaking" Being the original owner I knew it wasn't me who had it painted. I went back tot he dealer, who basically said tough, but you can appeal to the Manufacturer, who also told me tough. I also contacted the BBB who did absolutely nothing. Long story short, be prepared to hear NO and be prepared to eat it.

yes but they've already replaced his ring and pinion once so they've already admitted there was a problem before and blaming tires isn't going to be the cause of a whining diff.. he doesn't have to eat it because there is a TSB on the axle vent and that could've easily caused this issue. your situation was different because vehicle was out of warranty it didn't matter who painted it they were not going to cover it no matter what. it would've been nice had they done something but lets not forget we are talking about a dealer here and they will do anything to avoid warranty work because their normal rate pays better.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
yes but they've already replaced his ring and pinion once so they've already admitted there was a problem before and blaming tires isn't going to be the cause of a whining diff.. he doesn't have to eat it because there is a TSB on the axle vent and that could've easily caused this issue. your situation was different because vehicle was out of warranty it didn't matter who painted it they were not going to cover it no matter what. it would've been nice had they done something but lets not forget we are talking about a dealer here and they will do anything to avoid warranty work because their normal rate pays better.

I get that its different. my point is solidified by your last statement. they don't want to do the warrantee work. The dealer can and possibly will say "it was the tires" or "its the lower springs creating a pinion angle problem"
All I'm trying to do is help the OP be prepared for a possible battle with them and get all his ducks in a row.

Zemedici

Established Member

I dont know why this is a notion, i've worked at 2 dealerships, and both would rather have warranty work than no work. Yes they make hours flagged for CP rather than warranty for the same job, but some work is better than no work, and no techs at either dealership gave flack about warranty work. They just did it.

chao5.0

Established Member
I dont know why this is a notion, i've worked at 2 dealerships, and both would rather have warranty work than no work. Yes they make hours flagged for CP rather than warranty for the same job, but some work is better than no work, and no techs at either dealership gave flack about warranty work. They just did it.

i've worked at a dealership as well and I've seen a tech do something similar to try and cover his a** when he screwed up and blamed the customer for racing. simply put the OP should stick to his guns and not let back out of this, he should keep calm because he will get further with them that way.

Clipboard

Established Member
i've worked at a dealership as well and I've seen a tech do something similar to try and cover his a** when he screwed up and blamed the customer for racing. simply put the OP should stick to his guns and not let back out of this, he should keep calm because he will get further with them that way.

Keeping calm is very much a test with this dealership. Last time they had my car for a month. The car has been at the dealership already for a week because my service advisor forgot to call me, I had to call him.

Figure I would take the time to ask the forums for input to beat them with knowledge and diction, it usually works in most cases for me lol. It's also a different tech doing the work this time

chao5.0

Established Member
Keeping calm is very much a test with this dealership. Last time they had my car for a month. The car has been at the dealership already for a week because my service advisor forgot to call me, I had to call him.

Figure I would take the time to ask the forums for input to beat them with knowledge and diction, it usually works in most cases for me lol. It's also a different tech doing the work this time

just remain calm as possible, but if you're not at fault then don't take responsibility for the damage. if you did cause the damage and you know they are on to it then you will be stuck with the bill. to me though it sounds like it should be covered under warranty because none of your mods require you to mess with the diff.

Users who are viewing this thread