Give Cops a lane in Texas

MackCaddy

Established Member
It seems that Texas has passed a new law that when cops have someone pulled over you (the passer byer) must give them a lane or if not possible slow down to 20mph below the posted speed limit. Word out is that it is $500 fine. And they are giving them out. I know it sucks but it is also common courtesy.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
MI passed a similar law not too long ago after a couple of state troopers got creamed on the side of the freeway by inattentive motorists during traffic stops (ie- move over one lane or slow down to a safe speed if one cannot move over, if "blocked in" your lane).
I agree that it is common courtesy to simply move over a lane when there is a traffic stop on the shoulder, a driver changing a flat tire, or someone having car trouble, etc.

bskinner

IN TEXAS yes its true and the fine is $500.00 and they are handing them out like candy. Becareful those troopers aint playin.

Brian Baskin

Established Member
A good law. Anyone ever seen that in-car video of the officer on a stop on an interstate. A pickup truck rode the line a little too close, knocked the radio off the officer's belt clip.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Uh... I know this sounds stupid but why all the sudden is this silly law passed?

I would think that widening the emergency lane would be the prudent thing to do. Otherwise I guess people are too friggin' stupid to know that getting too close to emergency vehicles is dangerous. :shrug:

Brian Baskin

Established Member
I did some searching, couldn't find the video. It was an officer who had pulled over a car on the right side of an interstate. The officer was outside the driver's door, talking to him, when an old F-150 comes up on the right lane, driving over the white line, and clips the radio on the officer's belt. Radio flys off into the road, officer runs around to the other side.

And, actually, I do think that most people are too stupid now adays to know the difference. There is so much of a lack of respect that they don't care who is over there. In a perfect world, drivers would give wide berths to any emergency vehicle, or any vehicle broken down in the emergency lane. Now, people don't even move aside for ambulances... but that's a whole other story :D

Users who are viewing this thread