Gf's '11 VW Tiguan is possessed. here's proof.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
(lets preface this by saying she loves VWs, this is her 3rd, so i waSnt surprised when she ignored me when i told her they're notorious for electrical bugs)

so she was driving home the other and suddenly her info center on the cluster started sending failure warning after failure warning (6 in total, i think). 'taillight out', 'headlight out' 'license plate lights out' etc... so she gets home and i look at it, final tally of lights not working:

-rf headlight, (though the small accent running light was still on)
-rf highbeam
-rf foglight
-license plate lights
-lr turn signal
-lr tailight when the brakes are applied
-inner lr running brakelight
-half left taillight
-outer half right taillight (taillights have 2 bulbs)
-reverse lights
-third brake light
-turn signal indicators go haywire when activated

needless to say, she was not happy with me laughing at the ridiculousness of it all. i mean, how could you not laugh at this?
8047B3C9-4A27-4A64-BD90-F32B6E808B12-714-0000016E2FC4C3A6_zps6ffc2a83.jpg

53E16405-B4A5-42FF-9664-AC7B2B712F06-714-0000016E4E71700E_zps0377f31e.jpg

45D97A53-DE3E-4494-B667-083E8E722977-714-0000016E3CDDCADB_zpsd14df6ea.jpg

cb24130f-750e-46cd-99fb-315ab3168398.jpg

anyways, did some searching, and apparently several people have complained of Tiguans melting fuses/fuseboxes under the hood. in fact the NHTSA is investigating them:
NHTSA probing VW Tiguan's for lighting problem
so i look under the hood and sure enough:
1457588_10152014963589555_391825840_n.jpg

of course the car is just out of its bumper to bumper warranty. the NHTSA says there have been 26 complaints of this, is it worth it to file a complaint with them? is it a hassle? i'm more than likely going to have her do it regardless. i'm hoping that the more complaints they get the better chance of a recall happening, and her being able to get reimbursed for the repairs.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Definitely file a complaint. You may have to pay out of pocket now, but if enough complaints are filed, then maybe you get reimbursed.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
VW are german pieces of shit.

My ex's jetta melted the fuse box right by the battery. Then all the vacuum lines or air lines in the engine bay turned to that hard brittle plastic and just desintegrated, seemingly all at once. Id fix a vacuum leak, and a few days later another would spring up. Dealer wanted $150 a piece for just about every line in the bay (about 12 I counted that could fail). I ended up getting a crapload of heat-shrink tubing and wrapping that around all the lines to add some reinforcement.

Never own a german car that isnt under warranty.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
VW are german pieces of shit.

My ex's jetta melted the fuse box right by the battery. Then all the vacuum lines or air lines in the engine bay turned to that hard brittle plastic and just desintegrated, seemingly all at once. Id fix a vacuum leak, and a few days later another would spring up. Dealer wanted $150 a piece for just about every line in the bay (about 12 I counted that could fail). I ended up getting a crapload of heat-shrink tubing and wrapping that around all the lines to add some reinforcement.

Never own a german car that isnt under warranty.

i like the car, alot actually, but i warned her about it when she bought it new. at 20k the fuel pump was replaced because the car was stalling (while i was driving at 35mph mind you) and randomly cutting out at lights and not starting for a few minutes after.

and just a month ago the coolant light came on, i checked and it was suddenly below the line with no visible leak. and upon a trip to the dealer they proclaimed there was no leak.

oldmodman

Established Member
Is it too late to buy the extended warranty?

I had a neighbor that just got the diesel wagon and I strongly suggested that she get the factory extended warranty and then sell the car three months before it expires in 2020.

Longhornd00d

I Roll With My Kitties
Established Member
Why blur the plates.. Ppl see them on the road everyday

Even though that is true, this is an interesting article on Jalopnik about blurring out plates.

Should You Bother Obscuring Your License Plates In Photos?

This quote in particular:

As for the argument that your plate is already visible to anyone walking by your car, that's certainly true. It's just that the internet can so vastly expand the number of people able to see your license plate that it may become an issue. Still, as Officer Mosqueda told me with a certain degree of poetry, "You can't blur out real life." Sage words, Officer.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Why blur the plates.. Ppl see them on the road everyday

Because on the internet now people can use these to find where you live.

If you own a very modded car, for example, post up a badass build, put a pic up with your plate, now everyone on that forum knows whats in your car and has your plate# and can figure where you live and go break in and steal your shit.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
how? its the internet.

SVTP detectives alone have found more from less information given.

truer words were never spoken.

so the car is having a total melt down ( :lol1: )

just took it around the block and the ABS, brake, traction control and airbag lights came on.

i think we have a new, real life, (albeit foreign) Christine on our hands. the car is slowly taking away my ability to see, then stop, and finally the equipment meant to keep me safe.

Users who are viewing this thread