Getting to old for the Cobra?

01SVT_TruBLu

I grew up wanting to own a cobra ever since my father gave me a set of Hot Wheels that had an early 1980's Red Fox Body Mustang back from the SVO days with a Cobra splash on it. Now that toy is displayed with my 2001 Cobra in the garage.

I fulfilled that dream in 2001 when I bought my cobra....during that same time many of my friends bought mustangs and cobras and played the Mod Game we all play.

5 years later (I'm 33), most of my friends have sold their mustangs and have either traded for a Corvette, Porsche or M3 while the others have converted their Mustangs into Mini Vans and SUV's.

When I asked 4 of them "why?", they all agreed that though the had fun times with their stangs, they felt like they out grew them.

Do any of you older Stang/Cobra owners feel the same way and want to trade in your ride? I'm on the fence about it... :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Well thats why I got a Rauder fast with a few mods and still have room to grow (For myself and any family) Mustangs always felt old ergonomics wise and cramp inside for me anyway. Now the 05's are a little better in the room department

stangsx2

Established Member
Bought my Cobra in 01 and have had many mustangs thru time. Still have 3 in our household 2 mine and 1 my 26 year old wifes and Im 53 years young!!!!
:banana:

Last edited:

mustangbee

Established Member
i'm 25 and starting to feel too old for the cobra..i just see so many younger ppl driving them.(16-20) this guy at work is 19 and drives an 04 cobra..i'm seriously looking into getting a cts-v or a used c6 in 2006 sometime..ive also had alot of problems out of the cobra as well(not to say other cars dont)...but yeah i can see why you think your too old for one, i rarely see guys my age that drive cobras

Last edited:

TR03Mach1

Black Snake
Established Member
LOL! Too old for a Mustang? Ha ha that's pretty funny! I'm 52 and on my seventh Mustang. I'll be too old when they pry my cold, dead fingers from the steering wheel!!

1Day-ACobra

I'm workin on it
Established Member
Well it's interesting that you used your friends as an example. They're older, presumably better off, so they're getting a BMW or Porsche. As if a car's price or make somehow makes it as more "adult" than another car.

I just don't see this. It's all based on preferences. If you see a BMW as being more refined and thus a "step-up" then for you yea I guess you've out grown the Cobra. For someone else this evaluation may not be legitimate, so for them it wouldn't be.

You outgrow Power-Wheels. But once you're in the realm of real cars, outgrowing something is purely subjective.

There may be people who had BMWs who felt they were outgrowing them and bought a Terminator. Probably not many, but I'm just making the point: it all depends on who you are.

2003 Silver

Banned
I'm 38 and when I was 28 I had a brand new M3. Great car, but I was somewhat embarrassed to have it given my age...I felt the EXACT opposite of how you feel now....I felt I was too young to have one!!! Now 10 yrs. older and 2 yrs. into my Cobra I don't care what other people say etc....I get what I WANT. This car is TIMELESS...I get compliments each time I drive it and the range of people goes from 5 yr.olds (literally) to 80 yr. olds and EVERYONE in between. Maybe on a GT....but not a Cobra IMO.

GA Terminator

Established Member
Do what you want to do, not what your friends think is cool. That's just status. Yea, the BMW's and Vette's are nice, but there is always something that is the "latest and greatest". I was 21 when I got my first Mustang and was 55 when I got my Cobra. I guess I will be to old for the Cobra, when I'm dead. Just my thoughts.

Got5onIt

Mean Green Nation
Established Member
Not so much too old, but to a point in my life where I could use a vehicle more suitable for my needs. I just needed more room for a family. Other than that, I would've kept it.

As for the status thing, I agree with other posters, price of a vehicle doesn't mean anything. Just because you can afford to purchase a new M5 doesn't make you more mature.
If Ford offered a sedan with 330+ hp and a 6spd tranny, I would've taken the plunge in a heart beat. But they dont........

:coolman:

Last edited:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
42 here and starting to race it more at the tracks! Joe Johnson one of the instructors at the SVTOA event has a 2000 Cobra R he is like 100 or so!

99cobradave

Established Member
I'm 38 and I love my Cobra. No regrets. I'm just trying to decide if I want to sell the '99 for a Terminator. Sure I can "afford" a more expensive ("polished" car), but what's the point?

Corvette's have midlife crisis painted all over them.

01SVT_TruBLu

TR03Mach1 said:
LOL! Too old for a Mustang? Ha ha that's pretty funny! I'm 52 and on my seventh Mustang. I'll be too old when they pry my cold, dead fingers from the steering wheel!!

LoL!! Always enjoyed your outlook on things in your posts... This is my 2nd Mustang. I had a 1988 GT with T-Tops. but the 01 was a dream come true.

01SVT_TruBLu

Got5onIt said:
Not so much too old, but to a point in my life where I could use a vehicle more suitable for my needs. I just needed more room for a family. Other than that, I would've kept it.

As for the status thing, I agree with other posters, price of a vehicle doesn't mean anything. Just because you can afford to purchase a new M5 doesn't make you more mature.
If Ford offered a sedan with 330+ hp and a 6spd tranny, I would've taken the plunge in a heart beat. But they dont........

:coolman:

The cobra is no longer my daily driver....it hasn't been for the last 2 years and so now i enjoy it more than is used to.

I really don't see it as a price thing....i guess it's a mature thing. Not sure how to explain it. Cars are alway marketed toward certain age groups, vettes are def for folks older than me in my opinion. Porsche and BMW are out of my price range......though I would love a Viper!

I'm going to hold on to my 01 a bit longer (especially now that I paid her off)...who knows what next year will bring...

Maybe I just need a little more power!! :burnout:

GreyAsp

Established Member
What's with all us 38-year-olds with SVTs? :)

I never had the time or money to get into new cars until 6-8 years ago, so I'm still happy with mine. I don't feel too out-of-place now, and I don't care if someone thinks I'm too old for my car... it's not like I'm driving a Scion or something.

Granted, if someone dropped $100K in my lap, I'd be in an M6 in a minute. :bowdown:

Charles236

Established Member
Horsepower is the Elixir of Youth, more horsepower will make you feel young(er). At my age, that is a good thing. In other words, you aren't too old for the Cobra, you just need to enjoy the power.

Users who are viewing this thread