Getting Throw out bearing off pressure plate

MachMyWords

So I have an 03 Mach 1. It had a new clutch in it when I got it, and now that's it's worn in a little - there is some crazy noises happening. I have it pegged down to the TOB, pressure plate, clutch fork area. The tob is pressing on the pressure plate fingers a good bit - like actually depressing them some. I have the MM adjuster/cable kit coming, but until I get it - is there a cheater way to get the tob off the pressure plate fingers a little? I should also note that the pedal adjuster for the plastic quadrant is not wanting to adjust at all. I can see that the back side of the tob is actually warped a little from the clutch fork rattling on it. I will probably pull the whole thing this winter, but I just want a fix to get me through for a bit while I fix the winter vehicle. Any thoughts?

MFE

Established Member
It's supposed to ride on the PP fingers with some preload. That's how it's designed, that's when it's happy.

MachMyWords

My only problem is that the whole thing for mine seems to be a little too much. I am thinking about trying the freeplay kit to see if that will take some of the pressure off. When my car hits around 2k rpm at times it sounds like the clutch/clutch area is about to blow apart from rattling. I am almost certain that it is the clutch fork rattling on the tob. I just need a fix for the next couple months to get me by.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
No cheater way, either firewall adjuster or adjustable cable to add some slack. The clutch fork shouldn't be rattling on the TOB there are spring fingers that hold the bearing tight in the fork.

This shows what I mean: https://youtu.be/YKxNr5iYKO8

It goes back and forth with the air gap between the bearing and plate some want it some don't.

Last edited:

MachMyWords

So I tried to make my own freeplay kit, which totally did not solve my noise. After messing around with the car running and underneath, I think now it might be the flywheel area as opposed to the tob. I will basically just need to drop the whole thing this winter - just limp it till then. That being said - anyone know what a banged up flywheel or loose flywheel bolts actually sound like?

Users who are viewing this thread