Getting ready to sell the cobra questions.

Traction

Established Member
Here's the info:

1999 White Cobra
86,000 miles

I'm getting ready to sell the cobra which is in good condition except for the rear end. It needs to be rebuilt. Should I go ahead an rebuild it or should I try to sell it as is for a lower price. I figured some people might be interested in swapping out the IRS or maybe modding the gears. What do you guys think??

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
fix

I'd go ahead and get it fixed unless you just want to unload it and dont' need to get much $ for it.

You are going to have a hard time selling it for decent $ if people can't take it for a spin.

Traction

Established Member
They'll be able to still drive it. It will just clunk during accel and decel. It's still as fast as the day I got it.

DC97Cobra

Established Member
fix it.. wierd noises scare buyers. People can handle dings and dents as long as the drivetrain is in good working order. It will also remove an advantage from them as well in regards of talking down the price. G'luck

UCBeau

fix it for sure. i'm getting ready to take my car back to stock and sell it but i need to fix my TR3650 first.

Traction

Established Member
If I don't fix it I was thinking 12k obo If I do fix it start around 13.5k.

It's pretty stock. K&N filter, catback exhaust, and short throw.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
thats pretty steep.
kbb private party value in good condition is $9,500. Excellent condition is $10,240.

even retail value in excellent condition is only $12,070.

Last edited:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
yeah i was thinking 12K for a 99 cobra that needs some work is quite high....i would fix it, and start at 12 and expect to get 10 or so...

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
yeah that's real steep bro. I'm kinda just dreaming anyways. Would be sweet to have one of each supercharged, turboed, and NA new edge cobra's. But btwn this turbo build and car insurance and other bills I'm dry lol. Doesn't hurt to dream tho.

Traction

Established Member
I was going off the NADA guide and autotrader. It's all about demand. There is no one else that is even close that is under 13k in my area. I'm in no rush so I can wait. I'm not going to dump it.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
there was a guy on autotrader with a black 99 with 79k miles for 12k within 100 miles of the 20001 zip code

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Traction said:
I was going off the NADA guide and autotrader. It's all about demand. There is no one else that is even close that is under 13k in my area. I'm in no rush so I can wait. I'm not going to dump it.

just wonder how many of those that are not under 13K will sell quickly...nada average retail around DC is 12,050...that's why i said fix it, start there, and expect to probably get less, unless you find the perfect buyer...

i paid 14K for my 01 w/ 66K miles last fall, only b/c another guy had already given a deposit, and i knew if i didn't give him asking price i wouldn't get the car, and i knew it would be a long while before i found another perf red coupe in great condition...

xxstatic

Ride Red
Established Member

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member

xxstatic

Ride Red
Established Member
quick01snake said:
congrats...everything is more expensive in california...
and you are comparing a car that is 2 years newer, almost 20K less miles, and a covertible...good going!
Just making conversation not trying to compare the 2.....:rollseyes
When I saw his post I checked what mine went for around here because I thought the number was kinda low I just didn't think there was that much disparity between the 2.:shrug:

Traction

Established Member
Well thanks for all the input. I'm gonna go ahead and fix the rear end. A member on here is selling me a rear end with the whole IRS intact. How much do you think it would cost to have that swapped directly in?

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
xxstatic said:
Just making conversation not trying to compare the 2.....:rollseyes
When I saw his post I checked what mine went for around here because I thought the number was kinda low I just didn't think there was that much disparity between the 2.:shrug:

i wasn't trying to be a dick, just saying that you can't look at his book value and compare it to yours, since there are so many differences...

Users who are viewing this thread