Getting ready for paint.

Norway`R #129

Established Member
Finally getting ready for refinishing the R with new paint and subframe connectors.
If anyone has any info that might be helpful, I appreciate it.

Recent upgrades:
Full tilt boogie racing IRS bushing kit.
IRS oil cooler
Bassani x-pipe (offroad)
Solid Steering Shaft Assembly
Aluminum steering rack bushings
MM Adjustable Swaybar End links
90mm MAF (Bruce / ac427cobra from SVTP's)

View attachment 26314
View attachment 26315
View attachment 26316
View attachment 26317

Last edited:

Charlington

Established Member
Don't forget Orange Peel Preventer in the paint mix, if painters still use that. I'm guessing you have a Heated paint booth in Norway??? I painted a 30ft Sailboat on a windy day and forgot the Orange Peel Preventer. Paint dried too fast leaving tiny little circles covering the entire boat. You could only see it from a foot away but...
New axle nuts
Deluxe Bumpsteer kit - for extra strength toe links
Stainless Braided Brake Lines and flush brake fluid

Norway`R #129

Established Member
Yes, we have a Heated paint booth and the painter are very experienced, but I'll give him a heads up. What I am most afraid of is not hitting the color. I can only hope ES Performance Red ALBZ-19500-6729A is the same color on this side of the pond ..

I got the Deluxe Bump Steer kit from FTBR, but I'm a little unsure what you mean by New axle nuts, are they a weak point on these cars?

Stainless Braided Brake Lines are certainly a good tip, I need to replace all the brake discs and pads soon, then I can replace them too.

I bought a new bonnet from TrueFiber but I got the wrong hood and it did not fit so I have to repair the original. It has some bubbles that have to be sanded down. Does anyone have any tips to prevent them coming back?

This is the hood I ordered.
http://www.stage3motorsports.com/10...iber-A31-Cobra-R-2000-Closed-Louver-Hood.html
But I got this ... :mj:
http://www.trufiber.com/Trufiber_Mustang_A31_Heat_Extractor_Hood_p/tf10023-a31.htm

flattrack53

Established Member
If I was pulling the rear out of my car, I would be putting the Ford Racing IRS cover on my car since the factory ones are weak.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Is the company not willing to send you the right hood, to correct their mistake ?

Unfortunately, the bubbles are almost impossible to get rid of. I had my hood refinished and painted 2 times, by a reputable Corvette restorer. Figured who better to have experience in fiberglass than him.

The bubbles came back each time worse, and in more locations. The second time he redid the hood under his warranty, when I brought it back the third time he said he could not do it again, since he could not diagnose the problem.

I ended up buying a hood from HO Fibertrends, and it is spot on and fit pefectly. Wish I had just gone that route from the beginning, would have saved myself a lot of time and money.

04Saleen281

Established Member
I have a contact that has the second version of the hood that Ford did. Not the original hood, but a Ford unit nonetheless. He had it priced at $450. Let me know if you'd like more information.

Charlington

Established Member
Axle Nuts - need to be replaced everytime they are removed and were unavailable in my area for awhile so recommend getting them while you can, just a couple for spares.

Fiberglass Blisters - Pretty much unavoidable. Boats get them from sitting in the water, moreso on the side most often in the sun but some fiberglass boats come from the factory with Blisters "at no extra charge"... You grind them out, fill the void and primer over them before paint, been there,

http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2013/June/hull-rx-when-and-how-to-repair-gelcoat-blisters.asp

Edit: This link will explain the formation of blisters. But on a new fiberglass object Blisters only cause would be Manufacturing Defect.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/BlisterRepairFail.htm

Last edited:

flattrack53

Established Member
The fiberglass wasn't given enough time to cure. Ford quickly painted these hoods. That is why they blister and crack.

Norway`R #129

Established Member
Is the company not willing to send you the right hood, to correct their mistake ?

Unfortunately, the bubbles are almost impossible to get rid of. I had my hood refinished and painted 2 times, by a reputable Corvette restorer. Figured who better to have experience in fiberglass than him.

The bubbles came back each time worse, and in more locations. The second time he redid the hood under his warranty, when I brought it back the third time he said he could not do it again, since he could not diagnose the problem.

I ended up buying a hood from HO Fibertrends, and it is spot on and fit pefectly. Wish I had just gone that route from the beginning, would have saved myself a lot of time and money.

We'll see, I send them an email. In my experience, it is difficult to get any form of compensation but one has to try. It's never good advertising when it is spread on the web ...

Norway`R #129

Established Member
Yes, I have replaced almost everything in the IRS suspension, including Ford Racing IRS cover and added 3.73 ring & pinion from Motive Gear. This along with offroad x-pipe and 90mm MAF made a big difference in the performance! :rockon:

IRS FTBR oppgradering..jpg
Oilcooler.jpg

Norway`R #129

Established Member
Subframe connectors welded on.

What do you think about about this? Should be possible to get the exhaust out on the sides without compromising the function of the subframe Connectors?
bilde 5 (1).JPG
bilde 4 (1).JPG
bilde 3 (1).JPG

Attachments

• bilde 3.JPG
    bilde 3.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 214
  • bilde 4.JPG
    bilde 4.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

Charlington

Established Member
Those are beefy SFCs.
Take a looksee on Spintech's website. They make a special SFC just for Side Exit exhaust that you can compare the 2. They also sell Side Exits and R type exhaust tips.
Looking Good!

Users who are viewing this thread