Getting ready for first detail when winter ends

gt03mustang

Detailer
Established Member
When winter finally ends and the salt/sand gets washed away Im going to detail the car. I dont really have any good detailing stuff so I need some recommendations. Im probably going to get the porter cable 7424 from coastaltool.com, what pads/plates will I need? Ive got swirl marks and small scratches that need to be taken care of. The paint is kind of dry and isnt as shiny/black as it should be. I was thinking about that Sonüs SFX Polishing System that autopia sells, any other wax/polish I should look at instead? I also need some good glass cleaner that wont leave streaks and is good to use with tint. Last I need some good leather stuff. The leather isnt dirty, but I want to keep it from getting cracks and dull. To dry the car I use one of those absorbers and a california water blade which works pretty good, but is there anything better that I should use instead? Thanks for the help guys...

spree

Established Member
for the PC, just about any quality pad will do. Lake County and Meguiar's both make good ones. I personally use these:

http://www.autogeek.net/mg64.html

For a black car, I'd get some Poorboy's SSR 2.5 and SSR1 to take care of the swirls, Clearkote Vanilla Moose, and the LSP of your choice (Clearkote Carnauba Moose Wax, S100, Pinnacle Souveran, Poorboy's EX, Poorboy's EX-P, and Poorboy's Natty's Paste Wax are all excellent choices).

For leather, I've used Wolfgang's and Lexol. They're both fantastic products.

As for drying...I personally use some waffle weave microfiber towels. They're very safe and effective.

icu812

GOT MILF?
Established Member
spree said:
for the PC, just about any quality pad will do. Lake County and Meguiar's both make good ones. I personally use these:

http://www.autogeek.net/mg64.html

For a black car, I'd get some Poorboy's SSR 2.5 and SSR1 to take care of the swirls, Clearkote Vanilla Moose, and the LSP of your choice (Clearkote Carnauba Moose Wax, S100, Pinnacle Souveran, Poorboy's EX, Poorboy's EX-P, and Poorboy's Natty's Paste Wax are all excellent choices).

For leather, I've used Wolfgang's and Lexol. They're both fantastic products.

As for drying...I personally use some waffle weave microfiber towels. They're very safe and effective.

:thumbsup: :beer:

gt03mustang

Detailer
Established Member
Looks like Ill be going with the Poorboy's stuff (SSR1, SSR2, and EX), and Lexol for the interior, but I still need something for the glass. I also need something to clean up my wheel wells, Ive got some tar/dirt/rocks up there that I need to get out. I was thinking some kind of spray that I could put on then rinse off. BTW, your car looks awesome spree, do you have any problems with water spots while you wash your car? I have to wash my car in parts otherwise I get spots all over the place. Thanks again

Last edited:

icu812

GOT MILF?
Established Member
gt03mustang
don't forget to get some welding goggles 'cause you'll need'em when your done ;)

your water spots are probably caused from hard waterI went to Lowes and made me a water filter and it works like a charm

gt03mustang

Detailer
Established Member
icu812 said:
gt03mustang
don't forget to get some welding goggles 'cause you'll need'em when your done ;)

your water spots are probably caused from hard waterI went to Lowes and made me a water filter and it works like a charm

How does the filter work, where does it go?

icu812

GOT MILF?
Established Member
I bought an under the sink filter set-up and attached to the inlet side of my pressure washer with a couple adapters.
but I'm sure you could make it work with any garden hose.the way I have it makes it portable so I can do my dads cars at his house (he has well water, lots of sulfur and iron)

gt03mustang

Detailer
Established Member
Im going to be getting some microfiber towels, applicators, a waffle weave towel, and the meguiars pads for my porter cable. What is the best way to clean all of these? Ive seen the brushes for the pads, and the special cleaner for the microfiber and pads, is that stuff really necessary, or can I just stick the microfiber in the washing machine and scrub the pads in a bucket of water?

EDIT: Just did some searching and found out how to clean the towels, but how should the pads be cleaned?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread