Getting New Tires

TDMCobra

Ringside.
Established Member
Since this isnt a best tires thread, I figured I would make this rather than search. Anyways, some of you might remember the thread where my Cobra was totalled. After showing AIG a parts list from the Cobra, they reconsidered and opted to fix it for $6700. I am getting a whole new set of tires all around and was given about $700ish to get them.

I had Nitto 555Rs on the back with some no names on the front and I was going to get more but I got to thinking that I wanted tires than would last. I looked around and saw the BFG radials has a treadlife rating of 340 while Nittos were 100 and both had the same traction rating. This IS my daily driver and I guess I wanted to feel the waters and see what yall thought. I might make a poll later if some definitive canidates come up.

Thanks yall! It should be back on the road by next week!

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
Sorry I'm not 100% sure what the question is, but I'll take a stab at it. I have the BFG KDW2's that work really nice but they don't have a treadlife rating of 340. I had Nitto's and they sucked in the rain, and to 100 treadlife sucked. This isn't my daily driver but I did get stuck in the rain once (not fun). Go with the BFG KDW's, they are working great for me. $700 is hard to work with though.

Sorry if I didn't answer your question

Al

TDMCobra

Ringside.
Established Member
BMF42 said:
Sorry I'm not 100% sure what the question is, but I'll take a stab at it. I have the BFG KDW2's that work really nice but they don't have a treadlife rating of 340. I had Nitto's and they sucked in the rain, and to 100 treadlife sucked. This isn't my daily driver but I did get stuck in the rain once (not fun). Go with the BFG KDW's, they are working great for me. $700 is hard to work with though.

Sorry if I didn't answer your question

Al

$700 is a bitch. My question is best tires for $700. That can be two shitty ones on the front and nice ones on the back which should be easier to work with.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
TDMCobra said:
I had Nitto 555Rs on the back with some no names on the front and I was going to get more but I got to thinking that I wanted tires than would last. I looked around and saw the BFG radials has a treadlife rating of 340 while Nittos were 100 and both had the same traction rating. This IS my daily driver and I guess I wanted to feel the waters and see what yall thought. I might make a poll later if some definitive canidates come up.

Thanks yall! It should be back on the road by next week!

Nitto DRs have 100 treadwear rating.
The Nitto 555 Extreem street tires have a 300 rating.

The BFGs with 340 are not DRs. You must compare apples to apples.

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
I prefer the cheap-o Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's or ASX's. The BGF KDW's do not last long at all, but they are a very good performance tire. Buddy only got about 12K out of his set on a 94 Cobra daily driver.

scuzzdude2587

Established Member
monkeyspunk79 said:
I prefer the cheap-o Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's or ASX's.

boo i have the ASXs, will be getting the nitto 555 extreme performance in about a week. IF you're planning on road racing/auto-x/drag, don't go with all-seasons. I've heard very good things about the nitto's, but i've heard the KDWs aren't as good in the rain as they're said to be.

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
monkeyspunk79 said:
I prefer the cheap-o Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's or ASX's. The BGF KDW's do not last long at all, but they are a very good performance tire. Buddy only got about 12K out of his set on a 94 Cobra daily driver.

Not sure about that. I have had my KDW's for about 8000 miles, and thats beatin the shit out of them. We'll see how long they last..:beer: :beer:

TDMCobra

Ringside.
Established Member
I tried to create a graph to try to show my interests and what Im looking for accuratly. Best traction for a daily driving tire leaning towards performance over practicality. Price helps. Thanks guys.

tiregraphfk8.png

98bullet

Established Member
I just put 2 BFG KDW"S out back and they really perform well rain or shine...In front I have the Nitto 555's and have had them up there for about 17,000 miles and they still have plenty of life left...You said they gave you 700, so just fork up another 100 for a better tire and be happy...:pepper:just my .02

TDMCobra

Ringside.
Established Member
I did my search and came up with these.

BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW NT
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireProductCategoryDetailBrnd.do?tpc=MTAHZH&tp=Passenger%2FPerformance&tc=MTAHZ9

g-Force T/A KDW
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?cs=275&pc=38076&rd=17&ar=40&tc=MTAHZ7

FK 452
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?cs=275&pc=18594&rd=17&ar=40&tc=FALHZ6

Nitto NT 555 Extreme Performance
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireProductCategoryDetailBrnd.do?tpc=NITHZ4&tp=Passenger%2FPerformance&tc=NITHZ3

Out of those, I really wanted the BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW NT but apparently they aren't made in 275/40-17s:nonono: so that leaves the others. I also liked the FK 452s price. What do yall think?

Last edited:

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
Nevermind......just found out The American GT is made by Kelly tire who actually owns goodyear....just wondering if it's a good tire. I'd dive into the Nittos extreme street but everyone complains it's not good in wet weather......

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I would go with BFG g-force sport or the Nitto 555 Extreme. That is what i will be going to soon when I have to replace two bald tires.

Users who are viewing this thread