Getting new rubber - recommendations?

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
In a couple weeks I'll be getting a new set of Nitto DRs out back and I was wondering, what kinda tires would you recommend for the front? I'm looking for a summer performance tire, something that will grip decently with pretty good wear, somthing that will last a couple years without winter driving. I won't be driving in the rain too much anymore, so performance on wet roads isn't that big a deal - I just don't want to be screwed if I'm caught out in the rain somewhere.

Also, regarding the DRs, I've heard that they should be heat cycled so they hook better. Is this is true? Can someone tell me a little about this?

doogz

Established Member
Originally posted by Wylde Horses
In a couple weeks I'll be getting a new set of Nitto DRs out back and I was wondering, what kinda tires would you recommend for the front? I'm looking for a summer performance tire, something that will grip decently with pretty good wear, somthing that will last a couple years without winter driving. I won't be driving in the rain too much anymore, so performance on wet roads isn't that big a deal - I just don't want to be screwed if I'm caught out in the rain somewhere.

The Nitto 555's are just fine for up front. The only reason I went with them was for the matching tread. It bugs me seeing nice cars with mismatched parts, albeit minor parts.

Also, regarding the DRs, I've heard that they should be heat cycled so they hook better. Is this is true? Can someone tell me a little about this?

You heat cycle drag radials like a true slick or ET street tire. Long, smokey burnout at 16-20psi will make them hook pretty hard for having all that tread. It's amazing to feel it hook compared to balding stock tires! Clutch in, trans in 2nd, tach it up quickly to 6k, sidestep the clutch, feel for the brakes, modulate RPMs and hold brake with just enough pressure to lock the front tires up so you don't go anywhere, roll forward without the brake on.

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
Naw, I don't mean doing a burnout. I read somewhere that for DRs, they should be heat cycled initially for better wear/traction through the life of the tire. The process, from what I understand it, is to heat up the entire face of the tire, not just the contact patch, so that all the rubber in the tire gets heated up. Then the tires are deflated and left to sit for 24 hours. Following this, the tires can be mounted to the wheels and used. I haven't heard anything much about this process, so I was just wondering about it. I have heard that some guys just get the tires mounted, do a burnout, then let the car sit for a day, but apparently this isn't the optimal situation. :shrug:

As far as the burnout goes, I do more or less what you said, but I keep my heel on the brake and my toe on the gas so I don't have to worry about "finding" the brake. :burnout:

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
a heat cycle is basically "breaking" in a tire without putting wear on it. They put it in a machine that spins it really fast and puts pressure on the tire to break it in. I don't know if its worth the extra money though. I didn't have it done to my DRs and they were just fine.

5.4 speedster

Banned
It does help them last longer I can tell you that. I live in AZ and the streets out here get so hot that they kill any kind of tire. Not to mention a drag radial. I had one pair that lasted me two months. Then I bought a pair that had been heat cycled and they lasted me almost 4 months.

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
Originally posted by 5.4 speedster
It does help them last longer I can tell you that. I live in AZ and the streets out here get so hot that they kill any kind of tire. Not to mention a drag radial. I had one pair that lasted me two months. Then I bought a pair that had been heat cycled and they lasted me almost 4 months.
'

Cool, that's what I wanted to know. :thumbsup:

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
Assuming you have stock rim sizes...245 Nitto 555's up front and 275 Nitto DR's for the rear

Users who are viewing this thread