Getting my Whipple 2.9 tuned Friday!! A few questions

03mgtermi

Established Member
Question 1 - I see a lot of oil sloshing around in the oil level glass when it is hot and running but when the engine is off and hot, I barely see any in the sight glass. When it is cold, you can't see anything. I still have some oil left but know it is very harmful to the whipple to be too full of oil. Question is for those with experience, am i where i need to be or should i add more?

Question 2 - What are your experiences with spark plug gap. I have researched the heck out of this and find answers ranging from 0.025 to 0.04". I will be running the stock lower and stock idlers and stock whipple 3.5". Thinking i'll see about 17lbs.

rudycobra

Established Member
Curious bout the whipple too , my friend just had one installed and with car off it was the same as u said . Maybe that's how they are

Jroc

Established Member
IMHO just throw some TR6 with their factory gap(about .035"/.036") in there. I seriously doubt 17 psi will blow their spark out. Basically don't go any smaller than you have to. I jumped on the whole "gap your spark plugs really small" fad a while back and at .028" my car started missing, popping, and running like shit. When I went back, and put some new TR6's in and left their gap alone the car ran great again. If you do want to change the gap I would recommend .032". It's what I use to gap them at B/F I realized that I wasn't pushing enough boost to blow a stock TR6 out.

gabe1530

Banned
use the whole bottle of oil that comes with the whipple. i cant remember how often whipple recommends you change it though.
i am using tr6's gapped at .032 with no problems at all. 3.5 upper, all bf idlers, stock lower.

03mgtermi

Established Member
yea, per whipple's recommendations on their instruction packet i threw some TR7-IX's in there. they were gapped at .045 from factory and i closed them to .035 before installation, figuring on splitting the difference between the max and min i found while researching. Just wanna make sure that was a good idea before i take it to the tuner's.

i tend to agree that 17#'s really shouldnt blow out the spark, and just as info, she runs/idles GREAT as she sits now.

timbo3282

Established Member
You are running it low on oil. The oil should be filled to the middle of the sight glass while cold - check page 21 of the Whipple instructions.

They say: Fill to the middle of the sight glass. That step is before you even start the car for the first time, so obviously the supercharger would be cold.

Cool it off and fill it up properly. Good luck.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
TR6s gapped @ .25 here.....I got blowout issues with ix series plugs really bad @ 5700 on high boost and they were changed out in favor of reg tr6s.....haven't been back to the dyno since to re test...Aug 9 I will be there though.

03mgtermi

Established Member
well Fastlane called yesterday to cancel/reschedule my appointment due to computer issues they had all day. Apparently they are very backed up and can't see me.

This is particularly frustrating because my next day off isnt for 2 weeks, and even that isn't guaranteed.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
yep. put entire bottle in. it's the exact amount the blower needs. the oil will last 100k+ miles from what I have been told.

Good luck with the tuning. I'm sure you are going to love it. I cant wait for this heat wave to be over with so I can get my 2.9 25 psi e85 monster on the dyno!

03mgtermi

Established Member
good lord, 25 psi is gunna blow the rollers off the dyno, lol. can't wait to see how that one turns out!

Users who are viewing this thread