Getting Gears. Wanna make sure I cover everything (**Bonus** Kill Vid inside)

thapr3dat0r

Just the Tip
Established Member
After seeing my buddy's GT500, stock aside from 4.10's and an O/R X-Pipe, pull on another buddy's supercharged GTO the other night I was convinced I wanted (needed) gears. Gonna go with 3.73s and all other related components. My question is whether to get the SVT bearing kit, that costs as much as the dang gears themselves :whine:, and what weight Royal Purple gear oil to use. I currently have almost 13k miles on the car now. Do I really need the bearing kit? Or is it just good to replace it since the pumpkin's gonna be open anyway?

I'm also hoping the larger gear will get me out of the RPM range of the annoying drone at my highway cruising speed from my mufflers (M-5230-5GT). Oh yeah, I have some pretty bad gear whine right now also. Hoping new gears will fix that.

Video of race for your enjoyment :pepper:
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6TolZhtPo8"]YouTube - GT500 vs supercharged GTO[/nomedia]

airmanb2b

Established Member
You do not "need" the bearings, but it is good practice to replace them since you have it apart. Plus, its nice to have everything you need handy in case something comes up and the bearings are jacked.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
You do not "need" the bearings, but it is good practice to replace them since you have it apart. Plus, its nice to have everything you need handy in case something comes up and the bearings are jacked.

completely agree ^^^^^^^ may as well change them while your in that area + piece of mind

thapr3dat0r

Just the Tip
Established Member
Yeah, I probably will. Like to do things right the first time.

So it looks like 75w140 is the proper gear oil for our cars?

Man, I'm torn between this gear set up and an off road H-Pipe.

Users who are viewing this thread