getting gears installed finally, what parts do i need?

1999WhiteSVT

STLMustangs.com
Established Member
So im finally getting my gears installed after sitting in my garage for a year. i know i need the clutch pack from ford, but what all else should i look into? this is the first car ive gotten gears done on so im totally clueless.
also if anyone knows the ford part numbers that would be a bonus.
thanks

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
Gear rebuild kit FMS-M-4210-B, and FMS-M-4413-A IRS Bearing seals.

While FMS-M-4413-A isnt totally necessary it wont hurt to replace them. Also the clutch packs dont have to be redone unless the LSD is not working correctly.

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
I always repack the clutchs using the alternating method and pack it extremely tight using the shims in the rebuild kit. There use to be instructions on stangnet- you might want to search there. There is also an S spring availble w/ more tension out of an F series truck, again search to find out more. If you've got a lot of miles on the car it may be time to think about carrier bearings and pinion bearings. Also since you have a '99 its a good time to move to the 01+ 31 spline diff.

1999WhiteSVT

STLMustangs.com
Established Member
im not doing the install. the guy who is doing them has a race this weekend so he's a little hard to get a hold of. the car has 101k on it, so the carrier and pinion bearings are more than likely getting replaced too.
thanks for the quick replies guys

cobraracer46

Banned
So im finally getting my gears installed after sitting in my garage for a year. i know i need the clutch pack from ford, but what all else should i look into?

I would throw factory traction lock diff and the burned out clutches into the scrap pile and install a bullet proof eaton truetrack diff.With the true trac, the days of messing around with clutches will be over. The Eaton true track uses gears instead of clutches to generate a 3:1 torque bias ratio and no matter were you look, the true trac has received rave reviews. The road race and drag race guys dig it.

I'm overhauling the rear end in my car next week and a true trac that never needs maintenance except for fluid changes is going in and the factory diff with the clutches that constantly burn out will be history!:burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread