Getting Apartment, Need Advice

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
I found an apartment after a few months of searching. Real nice place ect ect.. I'm filling out the application right now and it says the landlord wants my banking account number? Is this normal? I really don't feel comfortable giving out my account number to someone I don't even know, and 90% of me is saying no way in hell is she going to get it.

Have any of you run into this before when applying for an apartment? This just seems way too intrusive for me to feel comfortable with. But this place is really nice and if I don't find a place soon I'm gonna be living in my car.

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
Thank you for the comment. That's what I was thinking. It's nice to hear someone concur with that. I can't think of one reason why she would want it.

SM0KE

SVT God
Established Member
I agree w/ the above, unless you're going to do automatic withdrawal or something. They shouldn't need any of that information simply for renting the apt. though.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
I agree, don't give it to them. However, the moment you write them a check for the security deposit, they'll have it all anyways.

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
All the checks have is the routing number, not the account number. Plus I usually pay with MO or cashiers check unless they require a personal check over those, which would make no sense.

Longhornd00d

I Roll With My Kitties
Established Member
All the checks have is the routing number, not the account number. Plus I usually pay with MO or cashiers check unless they require a personal check over those, which would make no sense.

My checks from Capital One do...as well as my checks from a previous bank I used did.

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
Damn you guys are right. It is on there. :/ I still don't feel comfortable giving her my account number straight up unless she accepts me first. I'm so desperate at this point that if she absolutely requires it that I'll just have to do it. But I'm going to consult my mother about this as well and see what she thinks.

Can anyone think of a reason she'd want the account # in advance along with my application? Maybe for verification that I have an account? I mean she didn't even accept us yet and she wants my # in order to figure out if she wants to rent to us. Just seems silly.

Last edited:

darkcrayz

Established Member
my checks from wellsfargo have both the routing and account number. them having it shouldnt matter as you will write them a check anyway. plus for them to take money out without a written signature is theft, so if they do then you can prosecute them.

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
my checks from wellsfargo have both the routing and account number. them having it shouldnt matter as you will write them a check anyway. plus for them to take money out without a written signature is theft, so if they do then you can prosecute them.

Thank you very much for that. It helps a lot.

Also, they want to know my balance? Why do they want to know my balance? I have nothing in there right now.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member

Checks have both the routing number and account number on them, along the bottom.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Damn you guys are right. It is on there. :/ I still don't feel comfortable giving her my account number straight up unless she accepts me first. I'm so desperate at this point that if she absolutely requires it that I'll just have to do it. But I'm going to consult my mother about this as well and see what she thinks.

Can anyone think of a reason she'd want the account # in advance along with my application? Maybe for verification that I have an account? I mean she didn't even accept us yet and she wants my # in order to figure out if she wants to rent to us. Just seems silly.

The personal info on the application is so that if something happens, they know where to go get paid.

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
Do you think that my current low account balance will influence her decision on accepting us? I just payed all my bills which is why my balance is so low. My income to expenses (everything including food, rent, utilities ect.) ratio pretty much leaves me with $100 in my pocket for gas.

ImShakn

Established Member
Do you think that my current low account balance will influence her decision on accepting us? I just payed all my bills which is why my balance is so low. My income to expenses (everything including food, rent, utilities ect.) ratio pretty much leaves me with $100 in my pocket for gas.

It may influence her decision. She wants to know if you can actually afford to live there. It's cheaper for her to find out now than a few months into the lease when she doesn't get a rent payment and has to evict.

SciFiHiFi

Established Member
Does your bank give out the balance of your checking account to anyone who has the number?

94cobramike

Established Member
never give your banking info to anyone.... including church... so far its worked well for me
my rentor people didnt ask for it :shrug:

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
It may influence her decision. She wants to know if you can actually afford to live there. It's cheaper for her to find out now than a few months into the lease when she doesn't get a rent payment and has to evict.

Between me and my girlfriend the rent will be cake. I just have a low balance right now. We aren't even paying for the first and security, her dad said he'd pay for it so we can get a nice head start.

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
never give your banking info to anyone.... including church... so far its worked well for me
my rentor people didnt ask for it

neither did mine, sounds like ure landlord is gona b a serious scum bag... take it from me, ive had some really nasty landlords, that for watever reason, believe they were put on this earth to make ure life a living hell.

EZMachN

Established Member
The apartment I rent from just did a credit check only. Some apartments require a monthly income statement and background check before they accept you.

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member
Having represented landlords I advise them not to rent to anyone without talking to a prior landlord, a credit check, pay stub and bank account information. Yes you may loose a prospective "good" tenant but if they can't produce these things then they probably can't afford to pay the rent. The cost of eviction, lost rent up until the actual eviction (which can take weeks/months) and damage to the apt regrettably makes this necessary to lower the risk to an acceptable level.

I would not be so concerned with giving out your checking account number, because as noted by others it is on every check you write. Absent a court order a bank will not turnover money from your account.

Users who are viewing this thread