Getting an I-Phone or Equivalent - Opinions?

SuperG

Established Member
I am looking to get an I-Phone and I see the competitors have some decent phones, but I think the quality and functionality are not quite as good. Most of all I am looking at Web browsing and the clarity of the screen.

There is a new phone release this weekend, the Palm Pre, that is supposed to be very good and has an excellent "windows" capability...that is, you can have several applications open at once...in fact, I-phone is supposed to release new software this weekend that will allow their phone to do the same.

Any ideas or comments about these phones are greatly appreciated!

blownbra925

Established Member
the iPhone is a great phone...however, im, not a fan of the whole touchscreen thing...i text and email around 15,000 a month, so the speed is important..touchscreen text is a big diff. and as of now u cant send or receive multimedia texts...they say there is a new software coming out that will allow it to do so, so who knows. But anyway i have the Blackberry Bold and i love it...great phone

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
Just wait for the supposed new iPhone release at WWDC next week. I have the Samsung Instinct and I hate it. Half of the programs shut down and won't work, and texting is impossible to do quickly, the letters are way too small. I may get the soon to be released iPhone if I like what I see.

Blown 89

Established Member
I have an iPhone and love it (even though it is the worst phone I've ever own it does everything else so well I don't care) but honestly the Pre looks to blow it clean out of the water. I'd at least wait for the new iphone announcement but if the rumors are an indication of anything it doesn't look that promising.

f_rice

EFF GM AND CHRYSLER!!!!
Established Member
I have a Touch Pro and I like it a lot. It has a keyboard and I can tether it to my laptop and have internet anywhere. The Pre looks cool though. I bought an HTC Mogul on Craigslist for $80 and broke it. I made an insurance claim and the replacement was the Touch Pro. So the phone was $180 without a contract. :rockon: I have been really happy with my Sprint service and plan too.

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Pre is nowhere near ready to blow anything out of the water, it is pretty cool though.

If you are wanting an iPhone, wait for the news next week of when the new phone is going to be released.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I like the iPhone with the exception of not having a keyboard. I still rock my Tilt for this reason.

Blown 89

Established Member
Pre is nowhere near ready to blow anything out of the water, it is pretty cool though.
By the end of the year there's a good chance it will. You can use iTunes to sync with it, flash will be supported, video recording will be supported, and their app store will be done by then not to mention the hardware more or less trounces the current iPhone in computing performance. The iPhone has trouble enough running the games it has, many of them requiring a reboot to clear Apples background apps to run while the Pre runs the same games backgrounded on a window while you surf the net real time in another. Simply try scrolling to the bottom of this post on your iPhone...mine takes a while and requires waiting for the next section to render...the Pre apparently scrolls right to the bottom with no rendering delays. It may not be as successful as the iPhone but feature for feature it's a better phone than the current gen and nothing new and exciting looks to be coming for the next gen iPhone.

Last edited:

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
By the end of the year there's a good chance it will. You can use iTunes to sync with it, flash will be supported, video recording will be supported, and their app store will be done by then not to mention the hardware more or less trounces the current iPhone in computing performance. The iPhone has trouble enough running the games it has, many of them requiring a reboot to clear Apples background apps to run while the Pre runs the same games backgrounded on a window while you surf the net real time in another. Simply try scrolling to the bottom of this post on your iPhone...mine takes a while and requires waiting for the next section to render...the Pre apparently scrolls right to the bottom with no rendering delays. It may not be as successful as the iPhone but feature for feature it's a better phone than the current gen and nothing new and exciting looks to be coming for the next gen iPhone.

sorry to burst your bubble, but video conferencing isnt anything new. My Razr v3x had all those features and the technology over here is too soon for video conferencing.

Cobra Was Here

I Miss My Cobra
Established Member
Equivalent to iPhone?... huh? I bought mine three months ago and haven't looked back. I text like a beast on that thing... and I use the iPod function everyday. Apps come in handy more than most would think.

Blown 89

Established Member
sorry to burst your bubble, but video conferencing isnt anything new.
I never mentioned video conferencing and the Razr can't hold a candle to any smart phone on the market right now none the less the iPhone and Pre so why even mention it?

The only way I see the iPhone trumping the Pre is if the new one has a 32gb option or the Pre's promised features (flash, video, huge app store) don't come to fruition

Last edited:

cam302

89 vert
Established Member
I have the g1 and I love it. It does every thing that the iphone does. Most of the apps are free and it allready has a video recorded out that works good you can put thim right on to you tube from your phone. It also has a touch screan and non touch screan key board with spell check on it.

cam302

89 vert
Established Member
I have the g1 and I love it. It does every thing that the iphone does. Most of the apps are free and it allready has a video recorded out that works good you can put thim right on to you tube from your phone. It also has a touch screan and non touch screan key board with spell check on it.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
I never mentioned video conferencing and the Razr can't hold a candle to any smart phone on the market right now none the less the iPhone and Pre so why even mention it?

The only way I see the iPhone trumping the Pre is if the new one has a 32gb option or the Pre's promised features (flash, video, huge app store) don't come to fruition

The Razr V3X and Razr V3 MAXX is on par with any smart phone out right now and they were out 2 years ago, tbey are one of the only phones that supports UHSDPA (4.5G) speeds along with video conferencing, able to play games with other V3X or V3 MAXX phones, and has an amazing interface, do research. The reason why its so downplayed is it was released way before its time...

Last edited:

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
I've been using a Blackberry Storm. Pretty much the main competition for the Iphone. I've been very pleased. Very user friendly and intuitive. I have yet to crack open the users manual.

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
To add to my post above, I think the Iphone is the better phone, but I'm not a techno-phile, so the Storm does me just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread