Getting a tune

No Antidote

99 Cobra
Established Member
I’m deciding whether or not to get a tune from Tim at modular power house. The cost of the tune is 475. That includes custom tune and 2 1/2 hours on the dyno. How much power gains you think I will gain? You guys think the price is worth it?

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
SVECobraR said:
you could always benefit from a tune but your modifications are minimal.

I'd agree w/ that! In general I'd say wait 'til you get a few more mods like intake, exhaust, N2O, etc.

If you plan on getting gears at least wait 'til you do that so they can put it in your tune. If not you'll have to go back to get a reflash to correct the speedo and that's just good $$$ after bad $$$.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
REX-RACER said:
I'd agree w/ that! In general I'd say wait 'til you get a few more mods like intake, exhaust, N2O, etc.

If you plan on getting gears at least wait 'til you do that so they can put it in your tune. If not you'll have to go back to get a reflash to correct the speedo and that's just good $$$ after bad $$$.

i had about those same mods (plus i had a WMS CAI), and w/ a dyno tune, here were my gains...i think it was worth it...cost me 350 at the time i believe...most people on here preach about it not being worth it...but as you can see ~5K i picked up almost 30 rwhp...i definitely recommend it if you have the money and some basic starting mods such as you do...

dynoa_fsae2.jpg

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
quick01snake said:
i had about those same mods (plus i had a WMS CAI), and w/ a dyno tune, here were my gains...i think it was worth it...cost me 350 at the time i believe...most people on here preach about it not being worth it...but as you can see ~5K i picked up almost 30 rwhp...i definitely recommend it if you have the money and some basic starting mods such as you do...

I'm not sayin' that it ain't worth it, I'm just sayin' that if he's got more mods in his future plans, especially gears, he might as well wait a bit and get te most bang for his buck all at once instead of havin' to go back for reflashes.

I actually happen to think these cars can benefit from a tune bone stock because we all know they are tuned from the factory to go pig rich above 5k rpms. I've seen near stock cars pick up 10 - 15 hp above 5k w/ a good tune that just backed off the fuel curve a bit and adjusted the timing. But I figure if you know you're going to continue modding you might as well save the tune for close to last, especially if you know you're going to do gears.

The compromise of course is to get a hand held flash tuner tool like the Predator or the Xcalibrator2 that has end user adjutability so you can "tune as you go".

Just my $0.02 . . .

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
i spent about 4 hours on the dyno for my tune, but that was because the guy's controller wouldn't stay sync'd up to my car...f'in plasma booster...then he had to reprogram my PATS cause it messed up...

Users who are viewing this thread