Getting a P0420 code

redsvt99

Established Member
This is my first post! :rockon: Anyways, I tried to do a search on the P0420 code but threads didn't answer my questions or helped me find a solution. I have a 99 cobra that I've had for about 3 years. Had a got a check engine light for a while so i hooked up a scanner and got the p0420 code. Fortunaltey because of this check engine light, i can't smog the car in CA and it's due this month! I don't wanna spend money on a new catalytic converter just to pass the smog cuz i was planning on buying a new exhaust system to give the car a new sound. Things I've change recently, were fuel filter, oil/oil filter, add bottle chervron fuel additive, reoiled my k&n airfilter, I even changed the 02 sensor after the catalytic converter. Still no luck. Is it possible that i need to reset the check engine light or will it automatically go away if the problem is resolved?

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
well it looks like the converter is the culprit according to the info u get when u google that code. if u have some friends with the same car (i think even a GT midpipe will do) maybe they can let you borrow their midpipe for the test.

redsvt99

Established Member
well it looks like the converter is the culprit according to the info u get when u google that code. if u have some friends with the same car (i think even a GT midpipe will do) maybe they can let you borrow their midpipe for the test.
yeah, it says its not running at its efficiency, it doesn't mean its gone....i forgot to add that i tried smogging it before right after reseting the codes and it didn't pass the computer check cuz all the self test werent completed and nox at 25 mph failed as well. all the other test passed though. I'm sure that if i smog it right after driving it it will pass the smog but it won't pass if it has a check engine light. i read something about rear o2 sensor delete kit. will this eliminate the code?

01vert

Established Member
Borrow a cat. After you reset the code the car needs to go through several run cycles before it will pass smog. You will need to run it at different speeds and on/off several times for the "not ready" to go away. Chances are the code will pop up again on the drive cycle if your cats are bad.

Good luck.

redsvt99

Established Member
Borrow a cat. After you reset the code the car needs to go through several run cycles before it will pass smog. You will need to run it at different speeds and on/off several times for the "not ready" to go away. Chances are the code will pop up again on the drive cycle if your cats are bad.

Good luck.

so i have to reset it to see if the problem is fixed?

Users who are viewing this thread