getting a motor to build some questions

john123456

Established Member
ok getting a 96 cobra motor from a buddy it ran low on oil so he pulled it and put a new one in . i wanna fix it and build it with higher comp forged pistons rods find some c heads better cams ect . question 1 what all will prob need fixed should block and crank still be good? he said he pulled mains before wasnt any marks havent looked at the rod journals yet but ill figure it out. question 2 if it is fixed what kind of max reliable n/a hp can i get out of it my plan is to build it while other is still in car then when its ready i can pull 1 and drop the other in . question 3 would i be better off just forging the motor and finding a used supercharger . i wanna run pump gas which is 93 around here. i want it to be able to be a dd as opposed to a track car but i want to get mid to low 12s. sorry about the long post thanks for any info or suggestions

STERLING351

The Chuppacabra
Established Member
when ever buying a used motor that had problems always inspect it before you buy, or have a machine shop inspect it and tell you how much repairs will be. If your staying N/A i think 450 would be the most with a high compression system but that wouldnt be on 93. A blower would be your best bet if you have a forged rotating assembly.

itSSlow98

Established Member
First you need to set a budget. N/A your gonna reach a limit pretty quick as far as power and your gonna spend a decent amount getting there. Forced induction the sky is the limit but you have to look at all the supporting mods youll need. You need to spend some time researching.

STERLING351

The Chuppacabra
Established Member
even if the motor is crap its everything both coil packs all accessories manifold the whole thing for 400 bucks

yeah 400 isnt bad. if you stick with b heads i think your limited to kenne bell 2,2 supercharger. Turbo would be a better option. if crank is still good then that saves alot of money. if going for low boots but want to be safe, dont even port the intake side of the head, just clean it up, ive heard that you should open up the exhaust side because thats where the restriction is. I believe you can get away with stock valves, just upgrade the springs. Throw some MMR/Manley H-beam rods in there and come pistons of your choice and your motor is good for some decent power. Then ofcourse comes fuel system.

Set a budget and power goals. Then decide B heads or C heads? Then turbo or blower? Dont do N/A unless your going to spray with it, but nitrous isnt as forgiving if you mess it up. I vote for cost and fun, keep the B heads and intake because they look awesome and do a turbo system.

Last edited:

CJK440

Established Member
even if the motor is crap its everything both coil packs all accessories manifold the whole thing for 400 bucks

Buy it and tear it down. You cant go wrong for that price and you really can't be sure what damage there is until you dig inside. My guess is rod bearings spun and you are looking to at least have the rod journals ground undersize.

Users who are viewing this thread