Getting 14” front brakes - what to do for rears

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I've been running 14" Brembo monoblock front brakes for 8 years and this past week I finally moved to 14" rear brakes.

I engineered a bracket to fit 2013 GT500 rear rotors on the car and use them with the stock caliper. When I calculated the bias, I'm around 70/30 with my new setup compared to 76/24 with 14" fronts and stock rears. I'll try to make a detailed post later today! Here are pictures of my front and rear brakes.

I didn't want to go the FTBR route on brakes as that locks me in to their custom rotors. This way I can stick with factory wear items.

Great idea and results. I also have concerns about being limited to a custom rotor as well rather than off the shelf bits.

Saint

Established Member
I've been running 14" Brembo monoblock front brakes for 8 years and this past week I finally moved to 14" rear brakes.

I engineered a bracket to fit 2013 GT500 rear rotors on the car and use them with the stock caliper. When I calculated the bias, I'm around 70/30 with my new setup compared to 76/24 with 14" fronts and stock rears. I'll try to make a detailed post later today! Here are pictures of my front and rear brakes.

I didn't want to go the FTBR route on brakes as that locks me in to their custom rotors. This way I can stick with factory wear items.
Does it still retain the e-brake?

03HP

Established Member

OX1

Established Member
I know it is much more expensive, and fronts are most important for braking, but I'd want to match the front brakes. For maximum matched braking and appearance. Just my personal preference.

@redrocket16, which front 14" Baer kit did you get for the front set on order?
pro%2B-06.jpg
or
extreme-02.jpg

You would lose emerg brake with multi-piston rears, but I've wondered about using new GT500 "emerg brake" caliper on several setups I have, which I swapped rear calipers or swapped in rear disk, and no longer have an emerg brake.

Looks like it is electric, which would make it way easier for custom aps. Would probably need to shim pads, since I'm sure rear vented rotor on GT500 is much thicker than solid rotor on OP setup. Does anyone know rear rotor thickness on rear of GT500's?

Looks like it would fit a pretty thick rotor.

s-l1600%20(1).jpg

One final thought. Use stock rear caliper for emerg brake only, and add these on a separate bracket (or your caliper of choice, depending upon rear rotor size).

2020 2021 2022 Mustang Shelby GT500 Rear Calipers Brakes 4 Piston RED | eBay

Last edited:

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Just picked up the Wilwood 14” kit with the smaller 6 piston caipers Was going to get my factory rear calipers powder coated but found some SVE ones at LMR for a reasonable price so going with those and slotted/Drilled calipers till I get the car sorted out then Likely change up to rear Wilwoods later just mostly for appearance sake.

Attachments

• IMG_5477.jpeg
    IMG_5477.jpeg
    230 KB · Views: 47

Users who are viewing this thread