Gettin a new TV!

Lightning Steve

Established Member
WooHoo, ya I know it's not that exciting to most, but this will be the first new TV for me in almost 20 years. My Brothers girlfriend passed on to us a deal to get a new (not even on the market yet) 32" LG plasma for about half the retail cost. I'm a big time movie watcher so couldn't be more exited. Anybody have any recomendations for a DVD player (up-converting I would imagine?). All the DVD payers I've gotten lately have been crap (I get the discount sale ones) and they generaly last 3-4 months. So would like to get something good but don't really know much about the specs. or what to look for.

Orchid

Established Member
I hear Oppo is excellent for the price, assuming your TV has an HDCP-compliant HDMI input.

Congrats, by the way. With a proper source, HD is a revelation.

King$nake

Banned
Lightning Steve said:
WooHoo, ya I know it's not that exciting to most, but this will be the first new TV for me in almost 20 years. My Brothers girlfriend passed on to us a deal to get a new (not even on the market yet) 32" LG plasma for about half the retail cost. I'm a big time movie watcher so couldn't be more exited. Anybody have any recomendations for a DVD player (up-converting I would imagine?). All the DVD payers I've gotten lately have been crap (I get the discount sale ones) and they generaly last 3-4 months. So would like to get something good but don't really know much about the specs. or what to look for.

First new TV in 20 years? And your getting a 32" HDTV?

Prepare to be blown away

:rockon:

Lightning Steve

Established Member
King$nake said:
First new TV in 20 years? And your getting a 32" HDTV?

Prepare to be blown away

:rockon:

I know, I'm just so stoked. It doesn't come out till Oct. From what I could find this is the first 32" Plasma to come out?
The TV I have now is a Panisonic Gaoo, good TV for it's time. Nothing wrong with it other than some scratches where the dog bit the screen (had to ban him from watching Homeward Bound!).

Mullet

Established Member
Lightning Steve said:
If you can afford it, look into a PS3 as your DVD player. I know this may sound silly to some people, but even if you aren't a gamer at least hear me out. The PS3 is going to offer anything you could ever want in one package:

1. The PS3 is going to up convert all of your DVD's up to 1080p(Your 32" probably only does 720p which is ok since its a smaller screen. It's still going to make quite a noticeable difference.)
2. It is also a Blu-Ray player. Most all new movies that come out on DVD will also come out on Blu-Ray. While these disks do cost a bit more(usually around $10 more than the DVD of the same movie) they are going to look a million times better than even your upconverted DVD's.
3. The ability to play PS1, PS2, PS3 games. I know not everyone is a gamer and thats cool, but you could at least give it a shot. You can also download demos straight to the ps3 to try out certain games eliminating the risk of buying a game you don't like as you can try before you buy.
4. The PS3 is great as a media center. It has many different types of card readers so you can view any picture off an sd card etc. in HD right off of your TV. You can load any CD's or mp3's onto the built in hard drive and play them whenever you want. You can also stream video/music straight from your PC to the PS3 over your home network.
If you look on ebay you can find the discontinued 20gb ps3 for around $400 and less. Sorry for the long post but I just don't think people give the PS3 enough credit, sure its a little pricey but you get alot for your money which I think most people don't realize.

GodStang

Established Member
Mullet said:
If you can afford it, look into a PS3 as your DVD player. I know this may sound silly to some people, but even if you aren't a gamer at least hear me out. The PS3 is going to offer anything you could ever want in one package:

1. The PS3 is going to up convert all of your DVD's up to 1080p(Your 32" probably only does 720p which is ok since its a smaller screen. It's still going to make quite a noticeable difference.)
2. It is also a Blu-Ray player. Most all new movies that come out on DVD will also come out on Blu-Ray. While these disks do cost a bit more(usually around $10 more than the DVD of the same movie) they are going to look a million times better than even your upconverted DVD's.
3. The ability to play PS1, PS2, PS3 games. I know not everyone is a gamer and thats cool, but you could at least give it a shot. You can also download demos straight to the ps3 to try out certain games eliminating the risk of buying a game you don't like as you can try before you buy.
4. The PS3 is great as a media center. It has many different types of card readers so you can view any picture off an sd card etc. in HD right off of your TV. You can load any CD's or mp3's onto the built in hard drive and play them whenever you want. You can also stream video/music straight from your PC to the PS3 over your home network.
If you look on ebay you can find the discontinued 20gb ps3 for around $400 and less. Sorry for the long post but I just don't think people give the PS3 enough credit, sure its a little pricey but you get alot for your money which I think most people don't realize.

Not too sure if you want to do that. Alot of the big name companies are only putting movies out on HDDVD. http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/20/paramount-dreamworks-dropping-blu-ray-in-favor-of-hd-dvd-exclus/

You can get a good blu-ray player or HD DVD player for half the price of a PS3. Also you do not need a PS3 to stream music to your TV from your pc.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
i didnt know blu-ray players dropped over $600 since they came out. Not saying there arent any for $300 but im sorry, I dont see them being very good quality since about 5 months ago the cheapest one I could find was $900. The blu-ray holds a ton more memory than the HDDVD's and eventually will overtake the HDDVD's. Thats just my take on things. What Mullet said though is very true, I use mine for multiple but im a pretty big gamer so I use it mostly for that

1Day-ACobra

I'm workin on it
Established Member
Lightning Steve said:

You want something that upscales. Go to cnet and read some reviews.

mineralgrey01gt said:
i didnt know blu-ray players dropped over $600 since they came out. Not saying there arent any for $300 but im sorry, I dont see them being very good quality since about 5 months ago the cheapest one I could find was $900.

$900 5 months ago? You mean a year ago.

Today's cheap bluray players are excellent quality.

Orchid

Established Member
I would personally avoid BluRay players for the moment until they get the spec finalized -otherwise you brand new player will be rendered useless in short order. The only real safe bet in BluRay players right now is the PS3, since not only is its software upgradeable, but it has plenty of power to handle upcoming requirements - and as good at BluRay playback the PS3 is, it doesn't exactly make a great DVD player. Or, you could get a combi player. That's expensive though...

Lightning Steve

Established Member
Thanks for the tips guys. I was thinking of getting a games system (leaning toward XBOX) but hadn't thought of using it for DVD's.
Looked into either a HD DVD or BlueRay player but the HD was $350 and the BluRay was $550, even the sales guy told me not to bother with either one till the price comes down and more movies are avalable. The BlueRay vs HD DVD debate is the same a s VHS vs Beta, Beta was better but just didn't have the support. The other week Paramount Home Video (think it was) said they were dropping Blueray and would only do HD DVD (and standard DVD) so once one big distributer drops out the others will follow.

Users who are viewing this thread