Gets very stiff after warm up, McLeod clutch issue?

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
07 GT500, full bolt on car, runs excellent, however upon the car coming to full operating temp it requires a little extra thrust to get the car to go into 1st from a dead stop and sometimes 2nd after 1st gear light acceleration.

When the shelber is cold it shifts like butter, the second it warms up is when it becomes tough, I can pump the pedal 15 times and it helps a little bit but doesn't solve the problem. Sometimes it doesn't do it at all after warm up then 2 stops later it does it.

Car also breaks my chops when I need to use reverse, I have to turn the car off, throw it in reverse and then restart the car as it will grind when running and yes I do 1-6 an it still does not help.

I see the TSB for a stock clutch but this is a McLeod RXT ... Installed by a ford dealer. Does it need to be bled or is there something else ? Thanks

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I'm guessing your clutch isn't fully disengaging. It's possible your slave cylinder may need to be shimmed.

If you're stopped at a light while in first gear with the clutch in and your foot off the brake, does it want to creep forward?

bossnova3

Established Member
I think it might be an issue with the spacing of the floater on the McLeod dual disk. This has been discussed before if the spacing of the floater isn't correct it won't disengage properly hence it being very hard to get into gear. I had this happen the first time I installed it, unfortunalely the only way of fixing this is taking it apart and reassemble it being very careful to check the spacing of the floater with the bottom disk, the bottom disk should be able to move with the floater installed. Hope this help if you need I think in have the paper instruction for the install of the McLeod RXT.

RIO RED SNAKE

Established Member
I'm guessing your clutch isn't fully disengaging. It's possible your slave cylinder may need to be shimmed.

If you're stopped at a light while in first gear with the clutch in and your foot off the brake, does it want to creep forward?

No it does not creep forward, i am new to these hydraulic clutch thingamajiggys can you shed any light on how to shim if that is the issue? Thanks

I think it might be an issue with the spacing of the floater on the McLeod dual disk. This has been discussed before if the spacing of the floater isn't correct it won't disengage properly hence it being very hard to get into gear. I had this happen the first time I installed it, unfortunalely the only way of fixing this is taking it apart and reassemble it being very careful to check the spacing of the floater with the bottom disk, the bottom disk should be able to move with the floater installed. Hope this help if you need I think in have the paper instruction for the install of the McLeod RXT.

Ok, so nothing new would need to be replaced? Just my time taking it apart and then check the spacer of the floater and then re assemble? Thanks for the input guys

bossnova3

Established Member
Ok, so nothing new would need to be replaced? Just my time taking it apart and then check the spacer of the floater and then re assemble? Thanks for the input guys[/QUOTE]

Exactly just taken apart rechecked and reassemble
Good luck

RIO RED SNAKE

Established Member
Stock, I ordered the mcleod braided clutch line and bleeder and I think at the same time ill change my fluid to royal purp or something that I.google that has good feedback amongst shelby owners.

nxhappy

Established Member
Stock, I ordered the mcleod braided clutch line and bleeder and I think at the same time ill change my fluid to royal purp or something that I.google that has good feedback amongst shelby owners.

Royal purple is crap oil.

Change your oil to Amsoil (ATF fluid) and you will notice a difference in your shifting.

RIO RED SNAKE

Established Member
That's what she said....

Sorry couldn't resist :)

Hahah no prob i was waiting for that from someone lol

Royal purple is crap oil.

Change your oil to Amsoil (ATF fluid) and you will notice a difference in your shifting.

Ok ill give that a whirl while im in there. Thanks for the input

+1 go Amsoil and that's it.....

Roger that!

You've got other issues going on that's not fluid related. I'd focus on that before worrying about fluid.

Nahhh broooo deff the fluid... but ok i am going to install the stainless steel line and bleed it and go from there and see if it gets better. Thanks guys for the help.

If those 2 items do not greatly help it, then i will pull the trans...sigh

Imatk

Established Member
FWIW I have the Royal Purple Synchromax and it shifts just fine.

Had the stock fluid before... can't really tell a difference between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread