Get rid of wax.

fordrules

Slow But Still Trying
Established Member
What is the best way to get rid of all the wax build up on the paint and start over. I have cleaned, polished, and waxed my car so much it seems like it doesnt shine up as well.

Any help is great. :??:

Traction

Established Member
Wash with dishwashing soap, then Clay bar the whole car. That will take off all the old wax build-up.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Dawn...takes off most anything. I like to wash it with reg. car wash soap before, just to get the main dirt off, then rewash to get the wax off.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Dawn is cheaper and easier than rubbing something else on the car, though I agree that using the Klasse will most likely yield a better end result.

Scott P

Established Member
mblgjr said:
Dawn is cheaper and easier than rubbing something else on the car, though I agree that using the Klasse will most likely yield a better end result.

Easier and cheaper yes. But, it's not needed at all unless you are using a finicky selant like Zaino. If you do a multi-step process, then the first polish/cleaning step does the job. If you use a one step product, then the cleaning properties of that cleaner wax will remove previous layers. Why do that extra step?

Wax doesn't really build-up. Wax serves as the sacrificial layer against the environment. It does naturally wear off over time. Dawn is not a step that is needed IMHO. Why people continue to spread the myth is beyond me...

93Snake

I agree 100% scott, The Chemicals in Dawn are harsh and I personally wouldn't want to take them to my paint, www.griotsgarage.com makes a wipe that removes wax.. works very effectivley but be warned that place is pricey but they make good products

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Scott P said:
Dawn is an unneeded step. A good paint cleaner like Klasse AIO or any polish will remove any previous wax you have on the car.

But won't some polishes leave a film on the cars surface?

Users who are viewing this thread