Get ready to slap some catalytic converters on BBQs

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Like they know how to BBQ in Cali anyways.

So much this. We went to Cali last year for my aunts bday. When they BBQ'd my nephew came to me and said "this don't taste like grandpa BBQ", he had the bitter beer face while saying it. I just burst out laughing cause I was thinking the same thing lol.

oldmodman

Established Member
There are probably only 10 people in California that even KNOW the difference between BBQ and grilling.

Lots of Californian's grill. Very few actually BBQ (cold smoking included).

But this senseless stupidity is brought to you by Feinstein and Boxer.

By the way. Don't think that just because it's stupid that it won't happen. We now have smog controlled water heaters. And what burns cleaner than natural gas in the first place.

But no. Now they have tripled in price because of the new, required closed burners and BS mandated by the AQMD.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Same as above. Any cost analysis right now is speculative.

What I'm trying to convey here is that it doesn't matter what the product is. This is a wholesale blanket statement that although unpopular is becoming more and more of a reality. If it burns carbon, it needs emission controls.

Yeah costs and convenience can take an initial hit, but market competition has a way of sorting that out. Our cars are a prime example. The emissions and fuel mandates imposed in the 70's could be considered draconian. They neutered everything we love about our cars. What happened though is that companies in competition for our dollars made better cars that make more power while using less far less fuel.

Based on how businesses work, no, I don't believe any cost assessment is speculative. Emissions equipment isn't cheap and of course an automobile is on a larger scale but think how many of the products impacted are throw away goods. people won't be overly welcoming to such an added burden. Burning carbon might need emission equipment depending on what it is that is burning fuel. Telling people they need such equipment on a grill, camp fire, generator, weed wacker, etc.., will go over as well as a stinky fart in church. What about enforcement?

CC's are not cheap these days and they have made the bulls eye of many undesirables. Now I'll have to worry about my grill?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Did you guys read the articles at all? Nothing in the articles says anything about mandates, regulations etc. It's just a study to see if they can reduce emissions from bbq's and grills.

Heck the first article quotes the EPA as specifically stating it does not regulate backyard grilling.

Not withstanding the fact that the drip plate idea and secondary collection pipe is likely not able to be retrofited to existing units, you have serious ex post facto issues involved with mandating such things on units already sold.

All that is happening here is a bit of science. Somebody asked the question about emissions from grill and bbq's so the government said "here's $15,000, see what you come up with." Nothing in either article suggests the EPA will mandate anything or change it's mind about regulating a back yard bbq. In typical fashion there's a bunch of fear mongering from MSM about it though.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
So they are spending our money on just a study? Nothing further could come of it? Come on now bud. You know our government.

If ti believes it can somehow regulate and possibly tax us, it'll attempt to move forward.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
The government funds scientific research all the time. Literally billions each year.

U.S._research_funding.png

Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with your statement, but a small study that represents literally pennies in the total EPA budget isn't really grounds for alarm. If the EPA wanted to regulate your grill, they'd be spending a lot more than $15,000 to do it.

The grant is part of a scientific grant opportunity for students. It's a way of thinking outside the box while also off-loading R&D from the EPA. Literally, a grad student or group of them came up with the idea and proposed it to the EPA under this program.

http://www.epa.gov/ncer/rfa/2015/2015-p3.html

Last edited:

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
The government funds scientific research all the time. Literally billions each year.

Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with your statement, but a small study that represents literally pennies in the total EPA budget isn't really grounds for alarm. If the EPA wanted to regulate your grill, they'd be spending a lot more than $15,000 to do it.

The grant is part of a scientific grant opportunity for students. It's a way of thinking outside the box while also off-loading R&D from the EPA. Literally, a grad student or group of them came up with the idea and proposed it to the EPA under this program.

I'm as anti-epa as it comes, especially seeing as my business runs on small engine equipment. However, when reading this I can't say I'm worried. Sounds like some grad students got $15k to have a big ass bbq. :lol1:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I'm as anti-epa as it comes, especially seeing as my business runs on small engine equipment. However, when reading this I can't say I'm worried. Sounds like some grad students got $15k to have a big ass bbq. :lol1:

Most likely lol, theyre gonna take $3k and burn the rest on weed and booze lol.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
Most likely lol, theyre gonna take $3k and burn the rest on weed and booze lol.

^ this.

While clearly this is in it's infancy, it's borderline criminal to waste even $1 of taxpayer money on shit like this in Cali. I understand that $15K is a drop in the bucket, it's the principle. All the over-regulation that people hate in California use to be non-existent.

When I was a kid in California I could go to a Motorcycle dealer and buy a mythical beast called a: 2 stroke. Then EPA/CARB and others saw dollar signs in their eyes. Then they start in on the 2 stroke watercraft, then weed-eaters, C.A.R.B. stickers on vehicle mods, etc. They used to have charcoal briquettes that you could actually light with a ****ing match because they were pre-soaked. The list goes on & on.

All the crazy bullshit out there starts somewhere, this is just another example that should be stomped out in its infancy for the sanity of the few sane people remaining in that state. It always seems benign and fantasy at the beginning until a Senator or Congress member takes notice & puts pen to paper. One of the grad students could always get a position with CARB, Senate, Congress, EPA and push it further themselves.

I'm so glad I left that doomed state and feel bad for those with a clue that still live there.

starnsey

Established Member

And along with what you've said you can probably find similar funding going to universities for similar "science projects" in nearly every state. Just an article to get people's emotions boiling for no reason.

The amount of money students use on research and extracurricular projects would probably make most people sick if you looked at every single value. I know the little student project I worked on every year in aerospace probably wasted at least $15k and we weren't doing anything that was worthwhile for the advancement of science.

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
I'll just get an off-road pipe for mine.

We could also add a turbo to the exhaust vent to drive a pump ducted in under the coals, thus increasing airflow, causing a more uniform heat distribution throughout the grill.

Hmm

Why don't these UC kids do some research on improving the grill or developing one with build in lights and temperature controllers, or a beer can holder? Because it's cost inefficient? I guess this 15000 worth of research will drive an industry to spend hundreds of thousands to engineer in these filters imposed by the EPA.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
California....figures. Not gonna do that shit to anything or anyone in the south. They will burn California to the ground for ****ing with BBQ.

If anything even came of it, it would be done to all right from the factory, so you wouldnt have a choice in the matter and like I said before, yet again more bs that just costs the consumer more.

And no, the south aint going to do shit to CA.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member

Considering the M.O. of our government, I respectfully disagree. The money being spent isn't germane in whether or not it gives or takes away merit for being concerned. The citizens of this country deal with such incessant nonsense that anytime something like this comes to light we should watch it rather than ignore it.

If such regulation is "plausible" the government will do all it can to move forward. Have you seen the rain tax in Maryland? That's another topic but it shows how the government will do whatever it can to steal more of our money by burdening us as much as possible.

Last edited:

95PGTTech

Established Member
Anything that burns carbon emits carbon dioxide into the air. Gas grills, charcoal grills, lawnmowers, gas powered generators etc.

I know it's unpopular, but the more we do to limit the amount of c02 that we pump in to the air, the better we'll all be for it. Some things are common sense and don't inconvenience us a bit. If we can put a "catalytic converter" on a bbq without effecting the quality of the meaty goodness we prepare on it, what's actually the problem?

All of this is a complete waste of resources until you put a significant dent in China's emissions.

Users who are viewing this thread