get a termi or save for the gt500?

Dubbnasty

Carolina Mountain Snake
Established Member
So I have recently got a major pay upgrade. Not great but major for me. So my question is should I go get a terminator or just save and go all the way for my real dream, the 2011 snake. For the money, the terminator is the deal but as a youngin I always wanted a Shelby. That was the dream. but damn thats a lot of money. So I was wondering if anyone had experience with both. If the 2011 is to new how about the older ones. All opinions welcome.

TheNightStalker

Established Member
I was in the same boat and I went GT500. I wish I would have gone 03-04. There won't be another 03-04 so I would get one now before they all get molested and modded to hell. You can always save up in a few years for a GT500 or trade in the 03-04 and get one. Just my .02 cents.

Kewlv8

Established Member
So I have recently got a major pay upgrade. Not great but major for me. So my question is should I go get a terminator or just save and go all the way for my real dream, the 2011 snake. For the money, the terminator is the deal but as a youngin I always wanted a Shelby. That was the dream. but damn thats a lot of money. So I was wondering if anyone had experience with both. If the 2011 is to new how about the older ones. All opinions welcome.

Shelby without question. The previous gen mustang is much more compact and tight inside and drives like a tin can compared to the solid feel of the GT500....

Dubbnasty

Carolina Mountain Snake
Established Member
I personally like the looks of the 96-98 cobras but when the bottom end is already built like the 03-04's you have to ask why go any other way. With that 11 snake its a 331 with a bottom end and a alum block. I figure it would take me about 9-10 months to buy one cash and not break the bank. And their only making 5500 of em. Its just man! You can buy a house with that type of loot.

Colleton

Established Member
If you can really afford it, get the 11. If not, keep saving. They'll be cheaper later in the model year and the longer you look, the better chances of finding a great deal. Good luck!

Shelby without question. The previous gen mustang is much more compact and tight inside and drives like a tin can compared to the solid feel of the GT500....

awww.... now you've done it. You'll catch all kinds of heck for that comment. :-D

Dubbnasty

Carolina Mountain Snake
Established Member
So I take it the 11 will respond much like the termi with mods? The vids they got out of them now show them making 20 more horses at the rear wheel then the 10's even though their rated only 10 better at the fly.

Dubbnasty

Carolina Mountain Snake
Established Member
true. but that alum block means a lot though. and the styling on it is a lot different. i think the 11 is overall the sexiest car made by ford in a while. and it is gonna take a while just to drop a decent down payment on one. maybe by then they will drop a lil. thanks for the opinions.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I personally like the looks of the 96-98 cobras but when the bottom end is already built like the 03-04's you have to ask why go any other way. With that 11 snake its a 331 with a bottom end and a alum block. I figure it would take me about 9-10 months to buy one cash and not break the bank. And their only making 5500 of em. Its just man! You can buy a house with that type of loot.

true. but that alum block means a lot though. and the styling on it is a lot different. i think the 11 is overall the sexiest car made by ford in a while. and it is gonna take a while just to drop a decent down payment on one. maybe by then they will drop a lil. thanks for the opinions.

:shrug: You say that you could pay it off in in 9-10 months and not break the bank, but then say it is going to take a while to drop a down payment.

Bottom line, the 11' is a great car but you are going to spend $50K without mods and that is a lot of cash. Believe me, if I could afford an 11' it would be in my garage but I can't.

As someone suggested, maybe go for an 07-09' as their prices have significantly dropped as the market has been flooded with them.

Dubbnasty

Carolina Mountain Snake
Established Member
Obviously I would rather pay cash for one. Dont want a large payment on anything with this economy. Its just in 10 months you might find one for 5-8k less used and there wouldnt have to be a down then. I guess Im trying to gain some knowledge of personal experiences with each so I can try to justify what I would really love to be able to do. Either one, the Shelby or the "TERMI", ppl will be lookin at ya differently.

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
If you never owned one, a Terminator would be a real fun place to start...

Then, if you're really stuck on the '11 GT500, you could buy a used one in a few years. For what the Ford dealers are still asking for them, only the foolishly rich should buy one new!

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
Obviously I would rather pay cash for one. Dont want a large payment on anything with this economy.

Because you made that statement, I would say that you know what you should really do.
If you have patience, you can still find low mileage, well cared for Terminators out there. That car will make you very happy, believe me.

scsilvergt

Established Member
I was in your shoes in 2009, I love the terminators but the GT500 is a much better bang for the buck in my opinion. I bought a 2007 GT500 and have never looked back The power potential, ride, and feel sold me on the GT500. Good luck, you can't go wrong either way.

Dubbnasty

Carolina Mountain Snake
Established Member
I appreciate all the feedback. This site helps to show the best of both of these cars. I know I would be happy with either car but the Shelby has been a dream since before Gone in 60 Seconds. That was the dream car before I knew anything about cars and I just cant get it outta my head, no matter how much it cost. The Terminator would be super bada$$ but "to me" its still not a Shelby. No offense to Terminator owners intended.

Users who are viewing this thread