General question about LEO training re: Sound levels

bunny_power

Snugs has da powah!
Established Member
Just curious about this and I don't know if it really applies to any of you guys because the laws are different everywhere.

Anyway, our local PD is having a "crackdown" on cars. They're ticketing all vehicles in the local bar district that are "loud", have enlarged exhaust tips, loud stereos, illegal tint, etc. But the law here is extremely vague and does not define what constitutes a violation beyond saying that the muffler cannot create "excessive" noise (no dB level stated).

Now the question is, to your knowledge are LEO's trained to identify sound amplitude levels by ear (no decible meter) under varying road conditions, and are they trained in what most popular models of car sound like stock, and what their exhaust systems look like?

I'm asking because a number of people I know have received tickets lately for stock, or very near stock systems that definitely wouldn't be considered loud and we're wondering if the LEO's even have the training to back up these judgement calls they are making regarding the exhaust systems.

Thanks guys. :)

94ShoOff

AKA Darkside
Established Member
Not in any department around me that I know of. Our law here concerning exhausts, makes it illegal to alter any exhaust with non stock parts.

Brakelate

Established Member
The vehicle code in California is VERY specific. So, there are three separate issues here. Stereo - falls under amplified noise... heard over 50 ft from outside veh., The exhaust can be either "modified to emit unusual or excessive noise", or just modified from stock (smog requirements etc.). Window tint is usually pretty quiet, but a violation none the less on front side windows.

You're "counting trees without seeing the forest"... typically, the real purpose for the increased attention of equipment is due to excessive traffic comlaints, DUI activity, or attempts to persuade the "criminal element" to go elsewhere.

If you feel that you must go in these areas, just tread lighty and blend in. You would be suprised to find that the people with warrants, suspended licenses or pockets full of dope are the ones making noise to get all the attention..... and it usually works!

:rolling:

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
The old saying is true here, "I know too loud when I hear it"!!

If your exhaust is not stock, guaranteed it is louder than stock and in most jurisdictions that is enough to violate the noise statute unless a specific decibel level is sited.

bunny_power

Snugs has da powah!
Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan
The old saying is true here, "I know too loud when I hear it"!!

If your exhaust is not stock, guaranteed it is louder than stock and in most jurisdictions that is enough to violate the noise statute unless a specific decibel level is sited.

I just found out last night that the local noise by-law (which this crackdown seems to be in support of) does specify a decibel level (82dB) and also the use of sound measurement equipment.

I also just looked up a general dB chart.... it would appear that all vehicles (stock or otherwise) are likely illegal according to this.
http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

Normal conversation (3-5') 60-70dB
Telephone dial tone 80dB
City Traffic (inside car) 85dB

bunny_power

Snugs has da powah!
Established Member
Originally posted by mswaim
Thought I'd resurrect this thread since some new information has come to light regarding the real reason as to why you get cited for excessive noise.........hehehe

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=126358

LOL, you did read in my initial thread when posted about my ticket for this a couple of months ago that I agreed that my car was way too loud. I believe the technical term for the current sound of my car at 6000 rpm is "Scaring babies from more than 3 miles away", but that will change shortly thanks to a catted bassani X.

The reason I posted this thread initially is that I'm on a local board for my city and the guys on there don't have access to the kind of input and insight you fellows can provide. :thumbsup:

bunny_power

Snugs has da powah!
Established Member
Something else too in defence of my loud baby. :-D

On the track I was racing up to redline in 2nd, and that is something I have never, and would never do on the street. :nono:

SlyPops

Established Member
I had a 2001 Saturn SC-2 (big mistake, but 75 mph and a guard rail corrected it for me) and I got a ticket for a loud exhaust in Naperville, IL. Anyone from around here should know about that place. My lawyer got me supervision and a $75 fine.

charged98cobra

Legal gru
Established Member
Originally posted by bunny_power
Something else too in defence of my loud baby. :-D

On the track I was racing up to redline in 2nd, and that is something I have never, and would never do on the street. :nono:

Most of the time as long as you are not an assclown and have catilitic converters installed you will be A ok. They do have street legal high flow cats ya know. But this vairies by state. Go to www.findlaw.com and research your state.

charged98cobra

Legal gru
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread