General Auto ?

rjs281

Established Member
Been runing an short offroad H pipe for awhile and tired of paying so much to pass emissions so i got some high flow cats to have installed. How long if at all well it take before they well pass? Do i need to break them in or anything?

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
usually even high-flow cats wont pass the sniffer. they are basically to maintain legality, not pass the sniffer.

youll need to reinstall stock h-pipe to pass. it has two cats on each bank and is necessary to properly scrub hydrocarbons and co2 from the emissions table coming out the tailpipe. Only 1 high-flow cat on each bank will not be sufficient.

I tried to pass my 03 with high-flow cats and it failed miserably. reinstalled stock H, it blew roses.

Raven519

Established Member
highflow cats should work fine. my old car with a 331 passed with it, hell it passed state inspection without any emissions equipment on it, although it failed the visual part...lol

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
highflow cats should work fine. my old car with a 331 passed with it, hell it passed state inspection without any emissions equipment on it, although it failed the visual part...lol

your old car also had different testing standards.

99-04 GT is going to be alot more stringent as far as hc/co2/etc counts go as compared to a fox.

rjs281

Established Member
when i first had the LT's i had a short catted H pipe that came from mac.but dont remember if those were high flows or not.it passed everytime with that setup.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
youre talking about passing an actual sniffer test correct?

i wonder, in which i highly doubt, if they have different values in different parts of the country. Im pretty sure its federally mandated standards set by CARB/SAE/DOT/*insert acronym here*, but IMO it would make sense for areas that dont necessarily have to worry about pollution levels like CA does with the LA basin, bay area and central valley where the smog just sits, to have less stringent values.

rjs281

Established Member
yes on sniffer test. like i said,i could pass before but not sure how much difference high flow cats are compared to normal ones.i am sure right about different standereds.

Users who are viewing this thread