Genealogy DNA testing?

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Just wondering if anyone on here has had their DNA tested with one of these home kits?
What company did you use? (23andMe, Ancestry, Chromo2, Family Tree, National Geographic, Other)
Were you happy with the packaged report/results or did you feel like it was a ripoff?

I have always been curious as to what my results would be, and the wife is also curious as her father was an orphan and had no information on his birth parents.

Any feedback, good or bad would be appreciated.

Thanks! :beer:

BV600

Established Member
I used the ancestry kit, not to bad of a price and they do $10-20 off every now and then. Wasn't disappointed pretty cool to see where you came from and to read about it.

daustin

Established Member
My wife and I did the ancestry DNA. It was cool. My grandpa always called me half meatball, half variety pack. That's exactly what it showed. Haha Half Italian, half all over Western Europe with fractions of a percent in places like Asia and Iceland.

Last edited:

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Most here don't trust the government, so I wouldn't think they'd trust some random company with their DNA.

That said, I'm interested.

Blown 89

Established Member
My family did ancestry. It was really interesting. Mostly English and Scottish which was no surprise given my family's lineage. It was interesting to see that I had mostly my father's lineage and my brother had mostly my mother's which I could have told you without the kit just based on who we resemble.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
My family did ancestry. It was really interesting. Mostly English and Scottish which was no surprise given my family's lineage. It was interesting to see that I had mostly my father's lineage and my brother had mostly my mother's which I could have told you without the kit just based on who we resemble.

Do they include any other information or further details, or just a percentage breakdown of where you are from?

Thanks!

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Regardless of what mine said I would interpret it as American...since in was born in Scranton PA and all

Blown 89

Established Member
Do they include any other information or further details, or just a percentage breakdown of where you are from?

Thanks!
There was a ton of information, enough that I couldn't print it out but the bulk of it is DNA broken up into regions by percentage. They also list the people in their database that you are related to by percentage. I haven't read through it in its entirety yet. I don't know how accurate it all is but it's fun to do.

daustin

Established Member
A co-worker of mine did it and found his ancestry line back to the 1300s or so.

It's pretty cool. My wife was able to trace my dad's family back to the early 1600's in the US and my mom's family back to the 1700's in Italy.

My wife traced her family back about that far as well in the UK and actually had a newspaper in England do a story on it. That was pretty neat. She went further than just clicking around online though. She contacted historians in the UK that were able to get her copies of family documents from the towns'archives.

Users who are viewing this thread