Gen II 2.3 Whipple with 2.75" pulley?

Daywalker

Established Member
First, if the search function worked I'm sure I could find the answer but oh well. Anyways, My current setup maxed out around 14.5PSI with a 3" whipple pulley. I ordered a 2.75" pulley hoping to get back up between 16-17PSI? For those of you that have any experience with this, if the boost jumps up too high can't it be calmed down by pulling timing or some other forms of tuning magic? Also, I'm in CA so the best I got is good ol 91, and perhaps even some torco if I needed to. Thanks for your help!

DW

cj428mach

Established Member
First, if the search function worked I'm sure I could find the answer but oh well. Anyways, My current setup maxed out around 14.5PSI with a 3" whipple pulley. I ordered a 2.75" pulley hoping to get back up between 16-17PSI? For those of you that have any experience with this, if the boost jumps up too high can't it be calmed down by pulling timing or some other forms of tuning magic? Also, I'm in CA so the best I got is good ol 91, and perhaps even some torco if I needed to. Thanks for your help!

DW

Whats your other mods? Its hard to believe your boost is so low with the 3.0".

01yellercobra

Established Member
Would a stock throttle body be enough of a restriction to cause the boost to he low?

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Daywalker

Established Member
Would a stock throttle body be enough of a restriction to cause the boost to he low?

But I'm running an accufab :??:

I'm in ca too, I had a 4 lbs lower with a 3.375 upper and was doing 19 psi on 91 octane

So with a 3" upper and stock lower you'd still be up around 18.5-19PSI right? Another local guy had the same set-up I did and only made 14PSI as well, very strange considering this was on two different dynos and two different tuners.

01yellercobra

Established Member

So with a 3" upper and stock lower you'd still be up around 18.5-19PSI right? Another local guy had the same set-up I did and only made 14PSI as well, very strange considering this was on two different dynos and two different tuners.
I thought you had the stocker on there. Scratch my question then.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

1badsvtcobra

Established Member

previous owner of the whipple i bought had stock lower and 3 inch upper making 16-17 PSI
maybe your gauge is off or your belt is slipping, what size belt do you have?

Last edited:

Daywalker

Established Member
previous owner of the whipple i bought had stock lower and 3 inch upper making 16-17 PSI
maybe your gauge is off or your belt is slipping, what size belt do you have?

I honestly don't know, but I also ordered metco idlers used the calculator so now I have a 74.5" gates green belt ready to go on. I'll need a 75.5" if I decide to stay with the 3.0".

01yellercobra

Established Member
If you're wanting to know more about the tuning side, no they can't back off the boost in the tune. Boost with a blower is a mechanical thing. They can back the timing down, but that negates what you with boost.

I think still have a spare boost gauge if you want to compare.

Daywalker

Established Member
If you're wanting to know more about the tuning side, no they can't back off the boost in the tune. Boost with a blower is a mechanical thing. They can back the timing down, but that negates what you with boost.

I think still have a spare boost gauge if you want to compare.

Ok cool, thanks yo!

Black93Fox

Established Member
I have a Gen II 2.3 with a 3.0 upper and stock lower im making about 17lbs an this is with mid length headers as well. Thinking your boost guage is off maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread